• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford won its 108th championship, the 481st for the conference and notched 40 straight years with a team ncaa championship today. In Futbol, so not a real sport but still impressive. Still 8 ahead of SC and I believe 6 behind UCLA (thought I did not look it up).

Those three schools account for over 320 of the 381 conference championships.
Congrats, there are some kids from the Timber's soccer academy on that team good to see they won.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While we are are all football fans here I personally wouldn't say Soccer isn't a "real " sport. It takes quite a bit of athletic ability to be a soccer player at that level. I think "sports" like golf are more skill than sport but wouldn;t say that about soccer.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we are are all football fans here I personally wouldn't say Soccer isn't a "real " sport. It takes quite a bit of athletic ability to be a soccer player at that level. I think "sports" like golf are more skill than sport but wouldn;t say that about soccer.
Jim-

As a former rugby player I will say this was said tongue in cheek, perhaps I need to use emoticons more. Rugby players generally laugh at soccer due to the constant flopping. They run no more than Rugby players and are not constantly being tackled, stepped on and smashing together in the scrums, rucks etc. At least that is the general view of those I always have played with.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, it's still soccer. WNBA stars are great athletes as well and it takes a lot of skill to get where they are at, but at the end of the day it's still women's basketball.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim-

As a former rugby player I will say this was said tongue in cheek, perhaps I need to use emoticons more. Rugby players generally laugh at soccer due to the constant flopping. They run no more than Rugby players and are not constantly being tackled, stepped on and smashing together in the scrums, rucks etc. At least that is the general view of those I always have played with.
I wish rugby would catch on more here. I played a little in high school and it was the most fun I had playing a sport, and I enjoyed all sports I participated in... Really effed up my shoulder though. To this day I have to throw like a girl...

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish rugby would catch on more here. I played a little in high school and it was the most fun I had playing a sport, and I enjoyed all sports I participated in... Really effed up my shoulder though. To this day I have to throw like a girl...
Yeah, 3 concussions and a dislocated shoulder are badges I wear from playing, I will say it was the most fun I had in sports. I played football all through Jr. High and High School, played lacrosse in high school and college, did some ski racing and boxing too. Never mind baseball and soccer gave those up prior to high school. Rugby was the most fun and debilitating of them all.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, 3 concussions and a dislocated shoulder are badges I wear from playing, I will say it was the most fun I had in sports. I played football all through Jr. High and High School, played lacrosse in high school and college, did some ski racing and boxing too. Never mind baseball and soccer gave those up prior to high school. Rugby was the most fun and debilitating of them all.
Dislocated shoulder is the gift that keeps on giving...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Soccer is fer da gheys. :nod:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, it's still soccer.

Funny soccer story. When I was 11, one of my friends played soccer. His team needed more players, and the first game was coming up. He told his players to ask friends if they'd like to play and have them show up to the game. My friend asked me to join so I did.

I had never played soccer and had no idea how to play, so they had me play goalie. At one point during the game, a kid from the other team gets a break away so it's me and him one on one. So, having no idea about the rules and having just come out of football season (which I had been playing since I was 8), I did what I was taught to do when I'm on defense. I went a laid that kid the fuck out. It was a beautiful tackle. People were freaking the fuck out, the ref was about to kick me out of the game, etc. My coach explained to him that I played football, but had never played soccer and hadn't even had a practice yet. So, the ref let me stay in the game and just gave the kid a penalty kick.

Ended up getting Most Improved Player in the league, but never played soccer again. :lol:

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, it's still soccer. WNBA stars are great athletes as well and it takes a lot of skill to get where they are at, but at the end of the day it's still women's basketball.

Well thanks for that. Using womens basketball as an argument. Lol.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim-

I spent almost a year in Australia when in the Marines and played plenty of rugby and Aussie rules on base against teams made up of players from the Australian air force . Loved playing it but its existence has nothing to do with soccer being a sport. Are rugby players tougher ? More macho? Yeah of course but thats not the only thing that makes it a sport. Bartolo Colon and some nose guards in football are hardly what most of us would call physical specimens but they play a sport. Most if not all skiers swimmers and soccers players are in much better shape.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have one rule when defining a sport. Is the goal to score points while doing as much physical damage to your opponent as possible in a team activity? To me water polo is far more of a sport than soccer. Don't even get me started on Baseball of nascar.
655999d1330424632-nascar-rain-fail-nascar-rain.jpg

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit the last post I mad was my 1000th? Another 8 years and I might catch TF12 and Wiz, or at least their current status. Then again a few more threads denigrating Shaw or Cmac may get me there quicker.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aussie footie is a different matter. I know we have a team here and I really should go watch them. That's not the same as soccer.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aussie footie is a different matter. I know we have a team here and I really should go watch them. That's not the same as soccer.
It's more like rugby from what I've seen.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's more like rugby from what I've seen.
I watched a lot of AFL growing up. It may be a bit like rugby, but it has elements of our football and even basketball with all of their bouncing the ball off the ground as they run.

I think it's quite a bit more entertaining and maybe just flat out easier to understand than rugby. And of course the hits are real and they don't fake injuries like soccer.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question here and not trying to bash the huskies since...well you know...

but what program is more surprising in being in the dweller for so long?

Arizona STate or Washington?

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jacob Eason to Georgia: Bulldogs Land 5-Star QB Prospect

In the end, firing Mark Richtdidn't cost the University of Georgia its top recruit. Five-star quarterback Jacob Eason announced Tuesday that he remains committed to the Bulldogs, concluding a whirlwind reopening of his recruitment.

Eric Wilkinson of KING-TV first reported the news. UGASports.com confirmed Eason is sticking with his original choice.

Eason was said to be reconsidering Georgia once the Bulldogs fired Richt after 15 seasons. He scheduled an official visit with Florida and opinion soon began to fracture about where he was headed. 247Sports' projections also gave Notre Dame, Alabama, Washington and Stanford a chance at landing the Lake Stevens, Washington, product.

Eason could end up the starter for the Bulldogs as a true freshman which may of influenced his decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.