• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because of their academics though, they are already at a disadvantage because there are players they can't even talk to because of academics.

@SUBuddha can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they typically have 3-4 every single year actually sign LOI's who actually look good, but still end up not qualifying. Add to that the fact that most of Stanford's players stay 4 years and top level recruits, in general, are only looking to play 3 years and it narrows their pool of players even more.
Yes and no, Stanford has several players who committed (last year 3) who have had to decommit when they got the skinny envelope from admissions. Last year the teams earliest commit (committed 18mo before LOI day), had to re-open his recruitment due to admissions. He ended up committing to Vandy or Wisc IIRC. Several soft commits according to members of the alum and team I converse with have not openly committed until they knew their admission status. This year there are at least 3 silent commits, I cannot discuss who, who will know where they are going after letters from admissions come out.

The best thing a recruit who has the test scores and required 3 AP classes both Jr and Sr. year can do is apply for selective early admissions. If they get denied there they can re apply with new GPA and test scores later. The real issue is simply this, there are a lot of kids who would like to go there, and even with sliding admissions scoring based on combined test scores/GPA, letters of Rec/essays and extra curricular activities means more stars reduce GPa or grade limits, but not by much. However, the university sets their incoming class size on many factors, among them is available housing (all frosh are required to live on campus and be part of random roommate assignment, no jock dorms). If the recruit does not make preferred admit status they are competing against 30-40k others for about 1100 slots. Keep in mind the average Stanford freshman class is 1400-1700 students. The regular admit students get their letters in late January. Early admission applicants have received their letters already or will in the next few days.

To put this in perspective, of the 20 verbals Stanford has this year only 6 have received the fat envelope from early admissions applications. Three preferred walk on's also go letters today (if Twittter is to be believed). Scuttlebutt is the staff could lose 3 or more of scholarship commits and at least 2 silent commits if the latest SAT and ACT scores are not favorable.

To your other point, even with early exits (Peat etc.) the team has a 99% grad rate. So yes most players, even if they only stay 4 and not 5, do stick around. The benefit of red shirting and staying a full 5 years is that about 60% of Stanford degrees offer a Co-Term or accelerated 1 year masters program. So staying for five (if the kid red shirts) can allow them to have a BA/BS and MA/MS from Stanford even if they never sniff the field for an NFL team. That is a heck of an earning boost over many schools elsewhere, just based on degree name.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-star OL Samuelu Poutasi (Las Vegas, NV) has committed to Oregon. Projected to move inside to OG. His offers included WSU and Oregon St.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many teams begin bowl practices this weekend including the Dawgs. Recruits can visit during this weekend as well so many schools are hosting lots of commits and non-commits. :suds:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona State is set to hire Southern Miss assistant Chip Lindsey as its next offensive coordinator, azcentral sports confirmed Thursday.

Lindsey has spent the past two years as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach with the Golden Eagles, who this season went 9-4, winning Conference USA's West division. Southern Miss will face Washington in the Dec. 26 Heart of Dallas Bowl.

ASU coach Todd Graham told azcentral sports last week that he wanted someone familiar with his offensive system to replace Mike Norvell, hired last week as head coach at Memphis. In that case, Lindsey fits the mold. Prior to his Southern Miss stay, Lindsey worked as an offensive analyst for coach Gus Malzahn at Auburn, concentrating on the receivers and passing game.

Malzahn worked under Graham at Tulsa and the two remain close. The coaches and their staffs have exchanged ideas for several years. The terminology Lindsey used at Southern Miss likely will be similar to what Norvell used at ASU, making this an easy transition.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said about Oregon/Stanford/WSU/UW, most fans will like their own teams chances outside of the self loathing cougar fans out there (they know who they are). There is no unanimous preseason king of the hill in either division. There are enough questions on every team to leave fans of all but 2-3 teams thinking they at least have a chance at their division. My only request is we get Oregon as early in the season as possible. Play them in week 4 before they get their sea legs under whatever QB they end up with. They are likely a tough out late in the season again. Might put furd in that same category. McCaffrey is going to be tough no matter what, but they are likely going to get better as the season goes at QB.

The south is going to look a lot like it did this year going into the season. You'd like to take USC's talent, but they always seem to have drama anymore. Always look at both zona schools and their talent, but can either play 12 full games? Utah is going to have someone new under center. Can they get on a roll again? Rosen is going into year 2 and should improve quite a bit. Can they get on a roll?

It's not self loathing if you despise your coach.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-star OL Samuelu Poutasi (Las Vegas, NV) has committed to Oregon. Projected to move inside to OG. His offers included WSU and Oregon St.
His bro played at Utah and now for the Tennessee Titans. Hopefully runs in the family.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His bro played at Utah and now for the Tennessee Titans. Hopefully runs in the family.

Had an ACL his junior year, but appears it's back to 100% and played in a few of the last senior season games. A big mauler. Good get for the Ducks Oline.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 shots later I am still fuming. Rename the heisman to the F Stanford award and #firelarryscott.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 shots later I am still fuming. Rename the heisman to the F Stanford award and #firelarryscott.
McCaffrey did get robbed and the voting process makes no sense and almost seems like fans just voting for their favorite player but what does Larry Scott have to do with anything?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless you're talking about the outrageous PAC 12 scheduling.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Record breaking season against much tougher opponents I guess doesn't go into the Heisman voting. Beiber was the best college player by far this year.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCaffrey did get robbed and the voting process makes no sense and almost seems like fans just voting for their favorite player but what does Larry Scott have to do with anything?
Like it or not you have to have a web site and publicity campaign up and social media strategy by at least October to have any chance of winning the Heisman. McCaffrey was not really on that radar early enough and is a victim of playing so many late night games.

Whether it is fair or not, I'll guarantee you that some didn't vote for him because he's only a true sophomore and has another year to prove he's worthy. Yes, occasionally young players will get it before their Jr years, but I've always thought if it was close many writers simply go with the older player.

I really don't know who deserved it most. I didn't see enough of the other two.

He will get a chance to show his ability next year and will be on the radar from game one. Stanford will be running out a new QB so it stands to reason they will be running hard to support that new thrower.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like it or not you have to have a web site and publicity campaign up and social media strategy by at least October to have any chance of winning the Heisman. McCaffrey was not really on that radar early enough and is a victim of playing so many late night games.

Whether it is fair or not, I'll guarantee you that some didn't vote for him because he's only a true sophomore and has another year to prove he's worthy. Yes, occasionally young players will get it before their Jr years, but I've always thought if it was close many writers simply go with the older player.

I really don't know who deserved it most. I didn't see enough of the other two.

He will get a chance to show his ability next year and will be on the radar from game one. Stanford will be running out a new QB so it stands to reason they will be running hard to support that new thrower.
Well said. I agree He'll be in the talks for the awards starting as soon as people start making 2016 Heisman predictions. If he has a season comparable to this one(God I hope he doesn't for my team's sake) he should be right there in the hunt for it again next year.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford won its 108th championship, the 481st for the conference and notched 40 straight years with a team ncaa championship today. In Futbol, so not a real sport but still impressive. Still 8 ahead of SC and I believe 6 behind UCLA (thought I did not look it up).

Those three schools account for over 320 of the 381 conference championships.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford won its 108th championship, the 481st for the conference and notched 40 straight years with a team ncaa championship today. In Futbol, so not a real sport but still impressive. Still 8 ahead of SC and I believe 6 behind UCLA (thought I did not look it up).

Those three schools account for over 320 of the 381 conference championships.[/QUOTE

Umm fudge you and split your check with me biotch.

Status
Not open for further replies.