• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorpRebel

Rock-n-Roll
Hoopla Cash
$ 650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... Can't wait to hear the same complaints from many USCers who think their D will magically be back to Pete Carroll levels and start calling for heads of the new guys by week 6 when it isn't.

Good luck with that.

Not by me... I just haven't been all that impressed with Wilcox & his staff while he's been here.

Will the next DC staff hires be any better? :noidea:

We're gonna find out...

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That play did it for me(well actually the Oregon game did but this was the tipping point) After either running or catching every third down attempt in the first half for Stanford you would think The D cord would spend a little time during half time making sure #5 had a guy on him even when he left the backfield. The guys F ing killing you and you let him roam like he's the 4th string never used tight end.
I have no idea what the conversation between Helton and Wilcox was but as soon as the game was over I told my friends Wilcox had to go before next season. Looks like Clay thought it should be sooner.
I would have put a guy on #5 when he was on the sideline taking a breather

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He averaged 4.5 yards just sitting on the bench. lol
Lol, that made me wonder... I added up all the plays, there were 134 ran between both teams. McCaffery was responsible for 472 yards, so he averaged over 3.5 yards per play. So, he really averages more yards per play, even when his team's on defense, than a lot of guys do when they're actually in the game.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, that made me wonder... I added up all the plays, there were 134 ran between both teams. McCaffery was responsible for 472 yards, so he averaged over 3.5 yards per play. So, he really averages more yards per play, even when his team's on defense, than a lot of guys do when they're actually in the game.
More yards by himself than USC offense had

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some People think that some of us USC fans don't understand how good he is. We do. He's a great player . We had a number #5 of our own not to long ago. He was great and he had Lendale White next to him who rushed for even more yards and scored more TDs . But what you didn;t see, even with teams with crappy defenses who had Lendale and Jarret do deal with was Reggie being left all alone like he can't hurt you catching a pass 15 yards down field. And if you did see that I'm willing to bet that D Cord didn't have a job for long.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhhh huhhh. I'm sure Wilcox would of been kept on if that play didn't happen.

HCs hit their DCs with those anytime plays like that happen. What? Because your USC, your supposed to be magically immune from heisman level talent like McCaffrey?

Helton was going to clear house anyway as it was part of the terms of him getting the HC job. Wilcox and all these other coaches were gone before last nights game anyway. Can't wait to hear the same complaints from many USCers who think their D will magically be back to Pete Carroll levels and start calling for heads of the new guys by week 6 when it isn't.

Good luck with that.

Since I was one who favored keeping Wilcox, I might do some complaining. :lol:

Seriously though, we don't know and likely won't know the full reason he and the other defensive coaches were fired. Certainly there were issues with the defense, but nothing that wasn't correctable, imo. Heck, just being more experienced on that side of the ball would help.

It may simply be that Helton wasn't comfortable with Wilcox and the other coaches he let go. The old "philosophical differences" thing and Helton wants guys more in line with his vision. The best coaching staffs are all on the same page, so that's probably what Helton will be looking for. I'm glad to read that he's going to take his time about who he hires. Part of what made Pete Carroll so successful was that he did a really good job at getting good assistant coaches who bought into what he wanted for the team.

How things work for the Holiday Bowl is going to be interesting since 3 of the 4 he let go were from the defense.

On the offensive side, I do like that he is going to give up play calling next year so he can concentrate on just being the head coach.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More yards by himself than USC offense had
And there's a strong chance he doesn't win the heisman... In all fairness I haven't watched Alabama much this year, so I can't really comment on who should get it between the two, but damn... I googled 'heisman finalists', a CBS article from 12/4 didn't even have him in their list of 5. :L

I know the game this weekend gave him a big boost, but it wasn't, or shouldn't have been, surprising to anyone. How could he have been left off a list 3 days ago?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there's a strong chance he doesn't win the heisman... In all fairness I haven't watched Alabama much this year, so I can't really comment on who should get it between the two, but damn... I googled 'heisman finalists', a CBS article from 12/4 didn't even have him in their list of 5. :L

I know the game this weekend gave him a big boost, but it wasn't, or shouldn't have been, surprising to anyone. How could he have been left off a list 3 days ago?

Henry will win it, but McCaffrey is a better all around player. The biggest thing hurting McCaffrey, imo, is just a lack of exposure. If memory serves, Stanford had a lot of late start type games, so people just didn't see him enough. Those 5pm and later start times tend to hurt players on the west coast when it comes to individual awards.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Henry will win it, but McCaffrey is a better all around player. The biggest thing hurting McCaffrey, imo, is just a lack of exposure. If memory serves, Stanford had a lot of late start type games, so people just didn't see him enough. Those 5pm and later start times tend to hurt players on the west coast when it comes to individual awards.
It's a damn shame...

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully, next year, Stanford will have fewer late games. This kid is basically "White Reggie" and outside of this past Saturday, is a lot of fun to watch.
Yep, I always made a point to try and watch USC in the Leinart/Bush days. I do the same with Stanford now.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and as a NFL GM...I would quickly dismiss Henry on my board and draft McCaffrey to a "franchise tag" type longterm contract.

IF I were a NFL GM...

I agree. Henry is a great back and will likely have a very good NFL career. But McCaffrey is a swiss army knife. Hell, as if running, catching and returning kicks wasn't enough, the fucker even threw a touchdown pass against us. :L

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully, next year, Stanford will have fewer late games. This kid is basically "White Reggie" and outside of this past Saturday, is a lot of fun to watch.

Let's not beat the drums yet. "It ain't over 'til its over." McCaffrey is the best player in CFB and he will win it.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sark suing SC for firing

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not beat the drums yet. "It ain't over 'til its over." McCaffrey is the best player in CFB and he will win it.

I seriously hope you're right. I think he deserves it. When you consider that he topped Barry Freakin' Sanders in all purpose yardage, that should be about all anyone needs to know. I just think those late games are going to bite him. What he did to USC will definitely help his cause, but our defense isn't good enough for that to win it for him.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sark suing SC for firing

:lol: Good luck with that.

Seriously though, I doubt he wins. USC might be forced to pay him the remaining $12.6 million on his contract, but I doubt he gets even that. I thought the Americans with Disabilities Act might create an issue, but it looks like USC covered themselves by making him sign the letter that he would have no more embarrassing incidents related to alcohol. He had one on Oct. 11 and was fired on the 12th.

Plus, there are rumors that he may have been drunk or at least impaired during games, specifically the one vs. Washington.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.