• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude I know a few toejam fans who would implode if that happened.

I know Leach isn't going anywhere but this is the perfect time with all the openings for some school to pay the outrageous buyout and take him off our hands.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is everyone "fears the fork" at some point during the season.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey guys whats your all thoughts on the PAC getting absolutely F"d with the committee's rankings.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is everyone "fears the fork" at some point during the season.
Namely girls on the casting couch getting the same "fork" aka the "spock" or the "surprise" or more simply 2 in the pink 1 in the stink.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey guys whats your all thoughts on the PAC getting absolutely F"d with the committee's rankings.
The PAC earned it. Until all conferences go to a 9 game in conference format with a CCG, the PAC will eat itself up.

Keep in mind, Stanford has Rice as their last regular season game next year, that is nominally a P5 game, however, it is, to me, akin to Bama's game last week. Unless Rice improves greatly it does nothing for Stanford at the end of the season. IF Stanford was SEC though it would help them. Heuristics and biases cannot be eliminated from the committee.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Namely girls on the casting couch getting the same "fork" aka the "spock" or the "surprise" or more simply 2 in the pink 1 in the stink.
I love the Christmas tree mascot

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did they get fucked?
There wasn't any clearly dominating team this year. Good teams? Sure. Great teams at times? Yeah, but top 4 quality? No way.

Do you think that a Pac12 team should be top 5 no matter what? There's no entitlement. Every team at the top of the conference stumbled. Every one of them.

I disagree with buddha. This conference doesn't need to downgrade themselves to SEC levels and start scheduling BS bottom feeders late in the season or otherwise have an extra cream puff. Oregon reached the playoffs without having to have that. And it will happen again when a team deserves it. Who will it be next? That we don't know. Maybe USC gets a coach and finds a rhythm. Maybe Stanford finds lightning in a bottle with their next QB up. Maybe UCLA makes a step forward. Ducks find a QB after Adams leaves, Cougs take a major step forward, either of the zona teams stop being inconsistent. UW cleans up their youthful mistakes.

The problem this year isn't too many great teams all being equal. It was too many good teams with great moments and none took that step needed to be relevant on the playoff stage.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mora facing his 4th different Southern Cal Head Coach for the SC game in as many seasons.

A well known fact, but does it mean something?

:think:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope I get the USC campus area early enough so I don't have to park in some Vatos yard again for 20 bucks...

11255070_1618102418462799_1063176925_n.jpg

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did they get fucked?
There wasn't any clearly dominating team this year. Good teams? Sure. Great teams at times? Yeah, but top 4 quality? No way.

Do you think that a Pac12 team should be top 5 no matter what? There's no entitlement. Every team at the top of the conference stumbled. Every one of them.

I disagree with buddha. This conference doesn't need to downgrade themselves to SEC levels and start scheduling BS bottom feeders late in the season or otherwise have an extra cream puff. Oregon reached the playoffs without having to have that. And it will happen again when a team deserves it. Who will it be next? That we don't know. Maybe USC gets a coach and finds a rhythm. Maybe Stanford finds lightning in a bottle with their next QB up. Maybe UCLA makes a step forward. Ducks find a QB after Adams leaves, Cougs take a major step forward, either of the zona teams stop being inconsistent. UW cleans up their youthful mistakes.

The problem this year isn't too many great teams all being equal. It was too many good teams with great moments and none took that step needed to be relevant on the playoff stage.
My argument was not that the PAC downgrade, rather that we get downgraded sue to the schedules. That is, the conference plays itself more than the SEC so every loss hurts. Yet the SEC gets no penalty for playing essentially bye games 4 times a year. The heuristic in the committees minds is that the SEC is tougher so their 8 game schedule hurts them less in terms of losses and their weak SOS is less damaging than it is for a P12 team that has a single cupcake game.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope I get the USC campus area early enough so I don't have to park in some Vatos yard again for 20 bucks...

You'll probably want to get there at least a couple of hours before game time to get to use it, but there is a parking garage that I use for every game that I go to that works out great. If memory serves, it's $10 or $15 to park (might be more for UCLA game). It's at the corner of Figueroa and 39th at Exposition Park Dr. where the commuter train stop is. It's located in a great spot. When you come out of the parking garage, if you cross the street and go right, you're on the USC campus, if you go left, you're in Exposition Park.

I usually get there about 3 hours before game time so that I can wander around campus, hit the bookstore, etc.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'll probably want to get there at least a couple of hours before game time to get to use it, but there is a parking garage that I use for every game that I go to that works out great. If memory serves, it's $10 or $15 to park (might be more for UCLA game). It's at the corner of Figueroa and 39th at Exposition Park Dr. where the commuter train stop is. It's located in a great spot. When you come out of the parking garage, if you cross the street and go right, you're on the USC campus, if you go left, you're in Exposition Park.

I usually get there about 3 hours before game time so that I can wander around campus, hit the bookstore, etc.
Thanks for the tip!

We should have a decent mix of Trojan fans and Bruins fans going together, should be fun.

(Still not 100% sure if I'm going. My daughter caught bronchitis this week and it's pretty bad. I wont go without her, rather watch it with her on the Telly at home if she doesn't improve)

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the tip!

We should have a decent mix of Trojan fans and Bruins fans going together, should be fun.

(Still not 100% sure if I'm going. My daughter caught bronchitis this week and it's pretty bad. I wont go without her, rather watch it with her on the Telly at home if she doesn't improve)

No prob. Sounds like a great time. Hope your daughter feels good enough for you guys to go.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, isn't everyone in the southern half of that state Mexican?
My argument was not that the PAC downgrade, rather that we get downgraded sue to the schedules. That is, the conference plays itself more than the SEC so every loss hurts. Yet the SEC gets no penalty for playing essentially bye games 4 times a year. The heuristic in the committees minds is that the SEC is tougher so their 8 game schedule hurts them less in terms of losses and their weak SOS is less damaging than it is for a P12 team that has a single cupcake game.
The 3 or 4 game OOC has been discussed extensively here, but I don't think the committee is nearly as daft as that. What we need to see to test it is if a couple of Pac teams that are actually playing at the highest level, but one or both has a loss if they are somehow left out over similar 1 loss SEC teams. Obviously the Pac teams (or any other conf that plays 9 games in conf) should get the nod over them.

This year there simply weren't ANY deserving teams. Oregon's 3 losses with one being a massive blow out at home entirely removed them, no matter how well they played later. USC has been a hot mess over stretches including that loss to a sub .500 UW team at home. WSU lost to Portland freaking State. Had Stanford not had that early game loss to Norhwestern they'd probably be in the hunt, but that game on top of the loss to Oregon sealed their fate.

Next year is a huge question mark at this point. We've already seen what Oregon looks like without Mariota or Adams and he's gone at the end of this year. Stanford will be breaking in a new QB as well. USC will once again be breaking in a new HC, if not a whole new staff as well. Utah is in the same boat breaking in a new QB. The cougs should be pretty solid with returning players at key positions, but their defense still needs work and I'm not sold that the air raid will dominate the Pac from any team running it. UCLA should get better production out of their young QB right along with UW, both of which had to start true freshmen.

We know at least a couple of those teams will spring up and play solid ball, but will any of them dominate?

Of course it's tougher to dominate a conference all bunched up with good teams over mediocre teams, but we still have teams that dominating squads should handle easily. One or more of them simply needs to shine above the rest and they will reach the playoffs, even with a loss.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, isn't everyone in the southern half of that state Mexican?

The 3 or 4 game OOC has been discussed extensively here, but I don't think the committee is nearly as daft as that. What we need to see to test it is if a couple of Pac teams that are actually playing at the highest level, but one or both has a loss if they are somehow left out over similar 1 loss SEC teams. Obviously the Pac teams (or any other conf that plays 9 games in conf) should get the nod over them.

This year there simply weren't ANY deserving teams. Oregon's 3 losses with one being a massive blow out at home entirely removed them, no matter how well they played later. USC has been a hot mess over stretches including that loss to a sub .500 UW team at home. WSU lost to Portland freaking State. Had Stanford not had that early game loss to Norhwestern they'd probably be in the hunt, but that game on top of the loss to Oregon sealed their fate.

Next year is a huge question mark at this point. We've already seen what Oregon looks like without Mariota or Adams and he's gone at the end of this year. Stanford will be breaking in a new QB as well. USC will once again be breaking in a new HC, if not a whole new staff as well. Utah is in the same boat breaking in a new QB. The cougs should be pretty solid with returning players at key positions, but their defense still needs work and I'm not sold that the air raid will dominate the Pac from any team running it. UCLA should get better production out of their young QB right along with UW, both of which had to start true freshmen.

We know at least a couple of those teams will spring up and play solid ball, but will any of them dominate?

Of course it's tougher to dominate a conference all bunched up with good teams over mediocre teams, but we still have teams that dominating squads should handle easily. One or more of them simply needs to shine above the rest and they will reach the playoffs, even with a loss.
This and it's probably just a down year for the PAC overall. The PAC's OOC record this year was pretty bad compared to most years and I am not convinced we do well in Bowl play this season either as a conference.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your argument is correct, but as the Wiz points out, this year we had no dominating team or even close. He is also right. The fact that we play or ourselves more is indeed a negative factor. But in the end, I can't see the SEC making any gains when Alabama plays Teachers College while the PAC faces Notre Dame. It is more likely that Alabama is seen as Alabama et al and the PAC is seen as collection of upstart pretenders. It doesn't help our case when we knock ourselves off. And even more IMO, it doesn't help our case when our premier team cannot find a winning coach and keeps shooting us in the foot.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Leach isn't going anywhere but this is the perfect time with all the openings for some school to pay the outrageous buyout and take him off our hands.
After all the crap we went through with Kiffin and Sark, I can't believe Haden would be dumb enough to bring that clown to SC. God help us if Leach comes to SC.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If USC does dump its coaching staff whole sale. I'm sure someone will jump on Wilcox fast. From what I hear he's a damn good recruiter.

Status
Not open for further replies.