• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeeYouNT

Вы хотели бы некоторые Путина?
Hoopla Cash
$ 291.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand how anyone can really like Notre Dame unless you're born into it being catholic. What is appealing really about them?

Biggest fan bandwagon is all of cfb.

Maybe it's the gold helmets. :noidea:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Helton and would like to see him get the job. I just think Wilcox is learning on the job. I don't know what his resume was to get the Washington job and from what I hear Sark had to beg to get Haden to bring him down. I just don't see any consistency in effort and execution. I don;t see players getting better. And i don;t mean players who have obvious talent like Cravens. I mean he's getting four star second on the depth chart players and some high three stars yet I don;t see that talent showing up against teams. I can forgive the lack of depth but his defenses don't play with heart every game.

I respectfully disagree. I think that what we have seen under Wilcox (especially last year) is a tired defense. As for improvement. They showed a stat last night that said that, before last night, our defensive points allowed per game had dropped something like 6 or 7 points from the first 3 PAC games and Notre Dame vs. the last 4 games.

I'm actually more concerned about the offense. In the 4 losses, our offense has scored 9 points in the 4th quarter, including being shutout in the 4th quarter in our last 2 losses. That's unacceptable. At some point, the offense has to help the defense out.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow to Utah for blowing the South w/ a 2 game lead this year...Congrats to Stanford and their "one-man-army" in C McCaffrey, gawd that guy is a wrecking ball.

Next week should be interesting for all concerned in the Pac12.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respectfully disagree. I think that what we have seen under Wilcox (especially last year) is a tired defense. As for improvement. They showed a stat last night that said that, before last night, our defensive points allowed per game had dropped something like 6 or 7 points from the first 3 PAC games and Notre Dame vs. the last 4 games.

I'm actually more concerned about the offense. In the 4 losses, our offense has scored 9 points in the 4th quarter, including being shutout in the 4th quarter in our last 2 losses. That's unacceptable. At some point, the offense has to help the defense out.

The offense has scored (not counting the two cupcakes at the beginning)
31 against Stanford
42 against Arizona State
31 against Notre dame
42 against Utah
27 against Cal
38 against Arizona
27 against colorado
28 against Oregon

Not world beaters but decent. Only the Washington game was the offense totally absent. I do agree the offense could and should be better. I think Kessler regressed this year. He's missed open players in inopportune times and now is again staring down his first option again. He's missed chances to extend drives by just running for the first down but most of the time throws something that either can't be caught and is well behind the first down marker. And number one issue is he seems to think Juju is the only player with hands. if he were a freshman i'd give him a pass on that but even if every play had Juju as the main option he's a senior and should know you have to get others involved.
All that said the defense has been flat out terrible too many times. You can't give tho other team four wide open no one near the guy TDs and say the offense was the issue.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense has scored (not counting the two cupcakes at the beginning)
31 against Stanford
42 against Arizona State
31 against Notre dame
42 against Utah
27 against Cal
38 against Arizona
27 against colorado
28 against Oregon

Not world beaters but decent. Only the Washington game was the offense totally absent. I do agree the offense could and should be better. I think Kessler regressed this year. He's missed open players in inopportune times and now is again staring down his first option again. He's missed chances to extend drives by just running for the first down but most of the time throws something that either can't be caught and is well behind the first down marker. And number one issue is he seems to think Juju is the only player with hands. if he were a freshman i'd give him a pass on that but even if every play had Juju as the main option he's a senior and should know you have to get others involved.

To be fair to the offense and Kessler, the o-line has been decimated with injuries. Hell, we're down to the 3rd string center. It's been breakdowns on the o-line, missed assignments, dumb penalties, etc. that have hurt us late in games. Heck, look at last night. We're down 38-28, we've grabbed momentum from 14 straight points, the defense has just gotten a 3 and out. We have the ball on our own 20 at the start of the 4th quarter, momentum and a chance to pull within a field goal.

Then our o-line has 2 consecutive false starts which turns a 1st and 10 at the 20, into a 1st and 20 at the 10. We convert that anyway, so we get a bad snap, there's a missed blocking assignment, Kessler gets sacked, fumbles and we have our first turnover of the game. :L

In other words, both sides of the ball need work. :lol:

On another note, I heard yesterday that some recruits have been tweeting that they like Helton for HC. Have you heard any of that? It would be interesting to see if that has any influence on the coaching search.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't as much mystery in the north. Going pretty much as expected.
Yes, but after Northwestern v Furd, it looked like it might be wide open. And still, just one more untimely stumble by Furd and we could have seen the Cougs making a bid for the North.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair to the offense and Kessler, the o-line has been decimated with injuries. Hell, we're down to the 3rd string center. It's been breakdowns on the o-line, missed assignments, dumb penalties, etc. that have hurt us late in games. Heck, look at last night. We're down 38-28, we've grabbed momentum from 14 straight points, the defense has just gotten a 3 and out. We have the ball on our own 20 at the start of the 4th quarter, momentum and a chance to pull within a field goal.

Then our o-line has 2 consecutive false starts which turns a 1st and 10 at the 20, into a 1st and 20 at the 10. We convert that anyway, so we get a bad snap, there's a missed blocking assignment, Kessler gets sacked, fumbles and we have our first turnover of the game. :L

In other words, both sides of the ball need work. :lol:

On another note, I heard yesterday that some recruits have been tweeting that they like Helton for HC. Have you heard any of that? It would be interesting to see if that has any influence on the coaching search.

I've heard nothing but positive about Helton. I know three big donors and all three are tired of the head coaching merry go-round and would be ok with Helton staying.
It would be interesting if Helton does get the job who he keeps.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard nothing but positive about Helton. I know three big donors and all three are tired of the head coaching merry go-round and would be ok with Helton staying.

That's good to hear. The boosters are who I was concerned about wanting a "big name coach" or an "SC guy" when we really just need a football coach. If the boosters are getting behind him, that's a good thing.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's good to hear. The boosters are who I was concerned about wanting a "big name coach" or an "SC guy" when we really just need a football coach. If the boosters are getting behind him, that's a good thing.

The older guys would love a name but with nothing like that out there so far and the names getting thrown around not exciting anyone Helton has a good shot. Much better than Coach O ever had. people forget Pete was a failed ( or at least fired) Pro Coach when he got here and not a big name.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a USC fan, I hate them, but respect the hell out of them. No disrespect to UCLA, but I consider ND our true rival (I think most Trojans do) because we are rivals by choice.

UCLA shares the same city and same conference, so there's no way we wouldn't be rivals. Notre Dame and USC have chosen to be rivals. Either team could have ended the rivalry over the years, but neither is willing to.
Maybe... :noidea:

I mean you make a good case, with the choice of rivals thing but what's unique about the UCLA/USC rivalry between the two is that there are households, siblings, HS teammates, Co-Workers even Spouses who are split with this Rivalry; A City torn and this coming Saturday's game hasn't disappointed in drama.

By the way, if you are old enough to remember, these two teams battled back-and-forth with Rose Bowl and national title implications riding on virtually every contest in the '60s and '70s And the '80's had some great games too!

I may be attending this year.

Just 3 more wins for me Bruins this year is where my hope is, although I fear the major injury bug has decimated this team and turned it into a shell of a team that it truly could have been.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean you make a good case, with the choice of rivals thing but what's unique about the UCLA/USC rivalry between the two is that there are households, siblings, HS teammates, Co-Workers even Spouses who are split with this Rivalry A City is torn and this coming Saturday's game hasn't disappointed in drama.

By the way, if you are old enough to remember, these two teams battled back-and-forth with Rose Bowl and national title implications riding on virtually every contest in the '60s and '70s And the '80's had some great games too!

Just 3 more wins for me Bruins this year is where my hope is, although I fear the major injury bug has made decimated this team and turned it into a shell of a team that it truly could have been.
You're dispicable!!!! :dhd: sorry vitamin i can't help it i feel like nike daffy duck. Not sure what to expect. If our secondary plays like they did vs oregon and our Dline shows up like they did in the first half. This game will be over early. Im really concerned about the injury to Juju. I have a ton of respect for him toughing it out like he did. But I'm still waiting on an update to his injury. I would love to see the streak finally broken.But with the recent history between SC and ULA I'm not getting my hopes up and just hoping for a close game at this point.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean you make a good case, with the choice of rivals thing but what's unique about the UCLA/USC rivalry between the two is that there are households, siblings, HS teammates, Co-Workers even Spouses who are split with this Rivalry A City is torn and this coming Saturday's game hasn't disappointed in drama.

Just 3 more wins for me Bruins this year is where my hope is, although I fear the major injury bug has made decimated this team and turned it into a shell of a team that it truly could have been.

Imo, the difference between the USC/UCLA rivalry is that it's a more "friendly rivalry" than USC/Notre Dame because of the fact that you have Bruins and Trojans who are married, siblings who attend each school, etc. Heck, 2 of my closest friends in the world are Bruins.

To me, the Bruins/Trojans rivalry is more like playing against your brother or close friends in the backyard. It's fun, you want to win and it even gets heated at times. Then, when the game is over, you have a couple of beers, talk a little smack and move on.

Hope you get to attend and hope you have a good time (just not too good).

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASU flattened UofA chances of even getting a toilet bowl. LOL. May I pour anybody a cup of Tea?
My best guess is
Rose Stanford
Alamo Oregon
Holiday South winner Between USC and UCLA
Foster Farms South Loser between USC and UCLA
Sun WSU
Las Vegas Utah
Cactus Arizona State vs Cal winner
Armed Forces Bowl Arizona State vs Cal loser
New Orleans Bowl Arizona

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean you make a good case, with the choice of rivals thing but what's unique about the UCLA/USC rivalry between the two is that there are households, siblings, HS teammates, Co-Workers even Spouses who are split with this Rivalry; A City torn and this coming Saturday's game hasn't disappointed in drama.

Imo, the difference between the USC/UCLA rivalry is that it's a more "friendly rivalry" than USC/Notre Dame because of the fact that you have Bruins and Trojans who are married, siblings who attend each school, etc. Heck, 2 of my closest friends in the world are Bruins.

To me, the Bruins/Trojans rivalry is more like playing against your brother or close friends in the backyard. It's fun, you want to win and it even gets heated at times. Then, when the game is over, you have a couple of beers, talk a little smack and move on.

Hope you get to attend and hope you have a good time (just not too good).

I agree. If you've ever been to an SC Notre dame game in South Bend you know how much the Irish hate USC.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think Wilcox is learning on the job. I don't know what his resume was to get the Washington job and from what I hear Sark had to beg to get Haden to bring him down. I just don't see any consistency in effort and execution. I don;t see players getting better. And i don;t mean players who have obvious talent like Cravens. I mean he's getting four star second on the depth chart players and some high three stars yet I don;t see that talent showing up against teams. I can forgive the lack of depth but his defenses don't play with heart every game.
His first gig as DC was at Boise when Petersen took over. I believe in his time there they only lost like 4 games or something and had near the nations top defense. He then went to Tenn where the defense improved. Sark talked him into coming to UW to take over a defense that had talent but was way under performing under Holt. That defense was dead last in the conference and was turned around the moment he walked on campus. UW had a solid defense the entire time he was here. It was the offenses inconsistency that kept UW in the middle of the pack.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilcox did a fabulous job with turning around the Husky D. USC fans need to remember the effects of the sanctions, especially at defensive depth, haven't completely worked itself off yet. And you just had your first full recruit class. The lack of seniors and juniors at defense is something you need to take into consideration before throwing your current defensive coaches under the bus.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilcox did a fabulous job with turning around the Husky D. USC fans need to remember the effects of the sanctions, especially at defensive depth, haven't completely worked itself off yet. And you just had your first full recruit class. The lack of seniors and juniors at defense is something you need to take into consideration before throwing your current defensive coaches under the bus.

I hear you but depth wasn't what caused the majority of TDs yesterday. Players were no where near open receivers. Every team has injuries but I've seen SC give up way more easy scores than they should and late in the season people even the second string should know their role. ir';s not like he thought he'd have a ton of depth so all of the players who could see action should be ready.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I never grew up hating them and I was a kid the last time they were relevent for more than one year here or there.

Yeah, that likely has a lot to do with it. I started following college football in 1970 when I was 8. So, Notre Dame was very relevant during the time I was learning the most about cfb.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The older guys would love a name but with nothing like that out there so far and the names getting thrown around not exciting anyone Helton has a good shot. Much better than Coach O ever had. people forget Pete was a failed ( or at least fired) Pro Coach when he got here and not a big name.

That's the point I've been making. No one really knew who John McKay and John Robinson were and, as you point out, Pete was considered a failed NFL coach. In fact, USC fans shut down the switchboard calling in to complain about his hiring. That's 3 of the greatest coaches in our history and they all became "names" because of what they did at USC, not what they did before they got here.

Status
Not open for further replies.