• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,900.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Start with the one you posted... beyond that, I haven't bothered to go beyond page one of a simple Google search, everything says about the same. Typically between $2000 and $3500 for the big conferences. Everything gives the general term "officials," not distinguishing between position, and citing experience as what determines what they get. Everything mentioned other sports' (other than basketball) officials making significantly less, in the $400-$800 range. But I've seen nothing that suggests there is thay much discrepancy between head referees, and other position officials.

If they are getting $800, that would barely cover travel expences, I doubt any of them are doing it for free. So I don't see how that can be right.
So, you aren't willing to read beyond the first paragraph that's listed in the google search but want to claim what I posted after reading several articles isn't correct? :L

http://www.ehow.com/info_12101279_sec-football-referees-salary.html
Rookie Officials in the SEC
  • In the SEC, first-year officials are seldom "rookies." Most SEC referees have a lot of experience working high school and other FBS college games. As a premier football conference, the SEC typically hires only experienced officials from other college conferences. Therefore, most referees in the SEC may be first-year officials, but they are never rookies in the true sense of the term. In the SEC, newer officials make around $800 per game.l
I saw others as well, but I'm kind of working on something right now. If you really need other sources I'll post them later.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utah is not nearly as hot as they were when they played Oregon. and Oregon is much better than when they played Utah last. Remember VA aka Magic Man is healthy now!
stop trying to make magic man happen. its not going to happen. no one else is calling him that. no one else will.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I trust with a few of the top teams falling, and Oregon being healthy and winning out will be enough for the Ducks to get the look.

Win out and you are looking at a top 10 win vs Stanford and a redemption win vs Utah.

Also I'm sure USC will be ranked when we play them.

Again we are healthy, which we weren't at the start of the season.

Committee picks the BEST 4 teams.

No DOUBT in my mind Oregon would be one of the BEST 4 teams in CFB come December.
:burt:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you aren't willing to read beyond the first paragraph that's listed in the google search but want to claim what I posted after reading several articles isn't correct? :L

SEC Football Referee's Salary | eHow
I saw others as well, but I'm kind of working on something right now. If you really need other sources I'll post them later.

Not really fair comparison though, $800 a game in the SEC is like $4000 a game for a Pac12 person when you add in cost of living and such.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,900.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really fair comparison though, $800 a game in the SEC is like $4000 a game for a Pac12 person when you add in cost of living and such.
Hell, they should just give them some road kill and a ham sandwich for most games then.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, they should just give them some road kill and a ham sandwich for most games then.

Well their travel is just gas cause they can hook up their houses to their hitch and go.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SEC Football Referee's Salary | eHow
I didn't get that link in my original search, so I don't know I was supposed to read past the first paragraph... you could have just posted it and spared the nonsense. It says nothing about head referees making any different than other officials, and supports what everything else says about pay being based on experience. All the information out there on the topic is pretty vague, ehow that says rookie officials in the SEC make 800 per game, and every thing else saying officials in major conferences make between 2500 and 3500 per game. So whatever makes you feel better about the shitty ref situation is what you should hang on to, I suppose.

If the point you're trying to make is paying them more will attract better officials, fine, pay them more, I don't really care how much they make. If $150000/year will guarentee they can be competent, i'm all for it. In the mean time, what they make per game isn't an excuse for total incompetence. It can't be that bad of deal if guys do it. Anything worth doing is worth doing right, right?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,900.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you give the refs that are veterans up to say 80k/yr and require it to be a full time job between July and December you'd for sure get a different class of applicants. Let them moonlight in winter and spring if they like. Hell, if they aren't paying different amounts then start doing so now and let line judges and the chain gang be weekend warriors and require the the more demanding positions be full time.

In any event, it is overdue to have centralized live reviews. There are massive mistakes going on every single week that are totally blowing the outcomes of games nationwide. And it's fixable. Today. Right now.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,900.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, as for positional pay differential, wouldn't you assume new refs are doing the easier jobs? I mean they don't jump from high school to head ref. So those $800/game noobs are most certainly not doing the more demanding jobs of umpire or head referee. I'm sure you have to work your way up. Only the proven veterans get those higher demanding jobs. Veteran officials that aren't taking those higher jobs probably do still get paid for their time in. But this isn't an either or.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what was the call that has UW fans so upset? Can you post it?

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here you go, here's one that says $10,000/year PLUS travel expences (in the SEC)... that would support $800/game, but now travel is included? Obiously these guys have a real job on top of this, even if theyre making $3000/game, still seems like a pretty good deal, I don't feel bad for them...

Anyway, which is it? One article says pac 12 officials make 2700-2900/game minus travel (that means 2700 would be the base pay), one says SEC officials make around $10000/year plus travel, another similarly says SEC officials make as little as $800 per game.

There's a big difference between expences being covered and not being covered. There's a big difference between $800 and $2700 per game, but again, neither seems like a terible deal that anyone's forced into and can't be held better accountable for.

At least drop the condescending 'how dare you argue with me, I've read up on this' bullshit @WizardHawk, consider there's a lot of contradicting information from no 'real' sources about it.

Last edited:

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
think Oregon can get looked at over a 1 or 2 loss team considering they weren't healthy for the first half of the season.

Oregon has been a dumpster fire or average for 3/4 of the season. They aren';t getting a look for a playoff spot . If they had one speck of a chance Mamba would still be here talking shit.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon has been a dumpster fire or average for 3/4 of the season. They aren';t getting a look for a playoff spot . If they had one speck of a chance Mamba would still be here talking shit.
Bullshit. Wins and losses don't matter to the playoff comittee if you have injuries. :ipw:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, as for positional pay differential, wouldn't you assume new refs are doing the easier jobs? I mean they don't jump from high school to head ref. So those $800/game noobs are most certainly not doing the more demanding jobs of umpire or head referee. I'm sure you have to work your way up. Only the proven veterans get those higher demanding jobs. Veteran officials that aren't taking those higher jobs probably do still get paid for their time in. But this isn't an either or.

Isn't football officiating like most union jobs, the more senior you are the easier job you have? I thought the head referee was the easiest job of the officials.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,900.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here you go, here's one that says $10,000/year PLUS travel expences (in the SEC)... that would support $800/game, but now travel is included? Obiously these guys have a real job on top of this, even if theyre making $3000/game, still seems like a pretty good deal, I don't feel bad for them...

Anyway, which is it? One article says pac 12 officials make 2700-2900/game minus travel (that means 2700 would be the base pay), one says SEC officials make around $10000/year plus travel, another similarly says SEC officials make as little as $800 per game.

There's a big difference between expences being covered and not being covered. There's a big difference between $800 and $2700 per game, but again, neither seems like a terible deal that anyone's forced into and can't be held better accountable for.

At least drop the condescending 'how dare you argue with me, I've read up on this' bullshit @WizardHawk, consider there's a lot of contradicting information from no 'real' sources about it.
Calm down man. You are taking it way too personally.

There is a lot of contradicting info out there, no doubt. I just quoted what seemed like the most middle of the road among the data I found and already explained how I see the disparity between $800/$3000 a game.

I don't recall seeing any that says refs make 100k/yr, but if that's what the SEC is really paying their refs they are getting fucking hosed on their investment.

I don't know why this requires a full day of arguments. Pay them more. Make them full time at least through the season and give them more training, film study, and testing. Centralize replay like the NFL does to make sure you aren't screwing the pooch on critical end of game calls at the very least.

That's all common sense stuff to me that would improve the overall problem we all agree exists. If others don't agree that any or all of this is necessary so be it.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calm down man. You are taking it way too personally.

There is a lot of contradicting info out there, no doubt. I just quoted what seemed like the most middle of the road among the data I found and already explained how I see the disparity between $800/$3000 a game.

I don't recall seeing any that says refs make 100k/yr, but if that's what the SEC is really paying their refs they are getting fucking hosed on their investment.

I don't know why this requires a full day of arguments. Pay them more. Make them full time at least through the season and give them more training, film study, and testing. Centralize replay like the NFL does to make sure you aren't screwing the pooch on critical end of game calls at the very least.

That's all common sense stuff to me that would improve the overall problem we all agree exists. If others don't agree that any or all of this is necessary so be it.
10k, not 100k... and I'm not taking it personally, nor am I riled up, I'm responding in kind. I've said, more than once now, that I don't care what they're paid. If making it a 100k +/year salaried job puts more competent guys on the field, perfect. I don't think that's going to happen any time soon though. And I don't think whatever they make, whether it's 800/game + expences, or 2800/game - expences, is that bad of compensation to expect some competence and accountability.

It doesn't require a full day of arguing, and nothing's going to change anyway, this isn't a new issue, no reason to think it will change, or even be seriously addressed now. Never the less, it became the topic of the day anyway.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what was the call that has UW fans so upset? Can you post it?

There was two that stand out because they absolutely impacted the scoreboard and altered the outcome of the game. Both in the 4th quarter.

The first was a phantom hold call against a UW offensive lineman on a TD scoring play by our RB Gaskin. Replays showed there was no holding and the Utah player was falling backwards of his own accord.
So the 7 points which would of given us the led were wiped out, we got pushed back 10 yds, and had to settle for a FG. So that flag cost Washington 4 critical points and this was during the 4th quarter. Instead of the score then being Washington 27 - Utah 24, it made it Washington 23 - Utah 24.

Then later in the 4th, the Huskies intercepted a deep pass by Wilson going for the endzone. The refs then proceeded to throw the worst flag of the evening on our drive. On a pass play that would of netted the Huskies 30+ yds and would have them entering Utah terroritory, the refs threw a flag claiming offensive pass interference on our receiver when he had never even breathed on the Utah DB.
It was a call you want to reach through the tv and strangled the fucking ref it was soo bad. That bullshit flag cost us 40 fucking yds, we ended up having to punt near the endzone which gave Utah the favorable yds it needed to seal the deal for them. It was the absolutely game changing dagger right into the heart of the game that killed any chance of Washington winning the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.