• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to hear some outside opinions on Colorado, mainly Mike MacIntyre. There's a divide in the Buffs forums that I visit about if he's the answer or not. Obviously the record says he is not. But on the flip side, the Buffs are clearly improving, even if the results are not showing up as Ws. Some think he should be on the hot seat while others think the rebuild job was so big, he needs to get at least 1 more year. I tend to lean towards the 1 more year side.

Colorado was a dumpster fire thanks to Hawk and Embree. The school doesn't have a natural fertile recruiting base within the state. Even if they do have good prospects, lots of them have grown up thinking CU sucks and have no pride or loyalty involved. The top guys recently have been going to Nebraska for crying out loud. The fire MM side says the recruiting is still down, the losses are piling up and the new AD with the new athletic facilities isn't gonna take much more. The keep him around side again point to how big the hole was, now with new facilities recruiting is improving from before and MM needs time to see his recruits mature with next year being the make or break year.

So what do you guys think? With the amount of job openings in college football right now, I think it would be crazy to fire MM this year. Plus I think the team has shown improvement every year, MM needs his QB to step up when he's slightly regressed. Does it even matter? :o

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's doing a decent job considering what he was given to start. If they are still a doormat in the division in a couple years though, it will be time to move on. However, if they can start making it to bowls semi-regularly that will be a step forward.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes I think you're in the right....and your last paragraph about the rest of the openings is a great reason. Unless, Colorado wants to take a gamble with one of those fired coaches.

I think Colorado's issues are deeper than just the HC. I did not know you guys got a new AD, and hopefully he brings more focus on your football program, but I know since that scandal broke the administration has shunned Colorado football sending you guys down to the abyss.

MM should absolutely get one more year. That win over OSU, in the post game interview, that guy has passion you need to bring that thing up from the dump.

Even if he only gets a few more wins next year, I still think another year is needed.

Mike Riley is turning Nebraska into a laughing stock, so any top area players from that region that you guys have been losing to the cornhuskers might be easier to sway into Colorado.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smoked another bowl but that doesn't make me tired. Already finished my work for tomorrow. Looks like I have a free day if I cants sleep
well it'd be great if I was tired tomorrow and I had a long flight, then I could sleep on the plane...but Tempe is very short trip.

This game shall be awesome!

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im always on the at least 4 years for a coach side of things due to giving them at least 1 full recruiting cycle.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to hear some outside opinions on Colorado, mainly Mike MacIntyre. There's a divide in the Buffs forums that I visit about if he's the answer or not. Obviously the record says he is not. But on the flip side, the Buffs are clearly improving, even if the results are not showing up as Ws. Some think he should be on the hot seat while others think the rebuild job was so big, he needs to get at least 1 more year. I tend to lean towards the 1 more year side.

Colorado was a dumpster fire thanks to Hawk and Embree. The school doesn't have a natural fertile recruiting base within the state. Even if they do have good prospects, lots of them have grown up thinking CU sucks and have no pride or loyalty involved. The top guys recently have been going to Nebraska for crying out loud. The fire MM side says the recruiting is still down, the losses are piling up and the new AD with the new athletic facilities isn't gonna take much more. The keep him around side again point to how big the hole was, now with new facilities recruiting is improving from before and MM needs time to see his recruits mature with next year being the make or break year.

So what do you guys think? With the amount of job openings in college football right now, I think it would be crazy to fire MM this year. Plus I think the team has shown improvement every year, MM needs his QB to step up when he's slightly regressed. Does it even matter? :o
You guys are clearly getting better. It takes time to rebuild a program that's been destroyed. We Husky fans feel your pain... But stick with the guy who's showing progress.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

McIntyre may not necessarily be the long term answer as far as getting Colorado back to being relevant nationally, but he's the guy you need right now. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but there was a huge crater where your football program used to be. He is making clear progress. This is the first season since youy guys joined the PAC that there aren't jokes being made about kicking Colorado out of the PAC and replacing them with Boise or BYU.

The other question that has to be asked before firing a coach is Who can you get that's better?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reason Colorado can't be as good as Boise St. year in and year out.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't get better without recruiting, and you can't get top recruiting without getting better. That's the catch 22 for any program near the back end of a conference. If you aren't seeing signs in improvement of one or the other you are destined to maintain the status quo.

I honestly haven't paid enough attention to Colorado to know if there are signs that either they are coaching up the kids they have better, or that there are improvements to recruiting.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly what I was talking about with Colorado wally. If your coach is either improving on the field OR getting better kids in there's no rush to firing a coach if you are in full rebuild mode. If you are fortunate enough to be getting both then hold on and enjoy the ride.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the reshuffling of the ESPN 300 they now list Stanford with the 8th ranked class. However, 2-3 of those kids will be going on missions and count against the 2018 class in reality. Additionally from what I am seeing I expect to lose at least 2 in the class as admissions casualties.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The improvement in the team is obvious to an outside observer and I believe the coach has done very well. The team is definitely on the rise. One more year is not enough and no coach would be able to meet that timetable. You are still talking years. Its hard to say how long but the definite improvement is there and no reason to believe it will go any may be up. Keep the coach; his program is working.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I fully agree that Colorado was so broken it will take like a decade to rebuild it.
Leach has WSU on the verge of something big and that team was a dumpster fire when it took it over and it hasn't been that many years in coming.

Colorado is in a P5 conference. By default that means more publicity, much more attractive schedules, and a shit ton of money to both improve facilities and pay coaches.

The right person could come into any cratered out P5 program and get something decent going in 5 years. You should see results in 3-4.

The question with a program that has been down as long as theirs is can you say it's good enough to have a sort of in-between coach. A guy that isn't probably good enough to win the conference at some point, but is good enough at rebuilding an infrastructure and at least bring them out of the sewer. That's something I don't have enough information on to have a comment one way or the other with Colorado.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are clearly getting better. It takes time to rebuild a program that's been destroyed. We Husky fans feel your pain... But stick with the guy who's showing progress.

Husky fans don't know how Colorado fans are feeling. Even during your 0-12 season you guys were good enough to win 4 games the players quit on the coaches and coaches quit on the players.

No way should Colorado fire their HC this offseason, the only person they'd have a chance to get would be some coordinator and it seems like it'd be a lateral move at best cause with no experienced coordinators it takes time to build a staff and implement a system

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he in his second year? Seems to be improvement, I'd give him more time.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he in his second year? Seems to be improvement, I'd give him more time.
3rd year
4-8, 2-10 and so far 4-4. not sure if they have any more wins without it being considered a significant upset. 4-8 still better than 2-10 and 1 conference win still better than 0.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it is his frist 4-8 was doing what he could with what he had while transitioning. 2-10 was establishing while this year is showing his work and progress. Next year not sure they do much better though. Colorado State, Idaho State, Michigan for the nonconference. I see that as 2-1 South schedule will still be just as tough next season. I think the north draw is the same but reversed location so that would be Oregon, Stanford on the road and WSU, OSU at home. could be another 4 win season.

Status
Not open for further replies.