• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real problem with the 12 teams and the divisions with CCG is when you get scenarios like the SEC in 2011 with Alabama and LSU being in the same division. Yet, even though they were clearly the 2 best teams in the SEC, Georgia played LSU in the SECCG, which lead to a rematch in the NCG.

That's why I'm against divisions in the conference, as well as the label "division champion" getting to the championship game(similar to not likely "conference champion" automatically going to playoffs). Instead, they just need to rotate all the teams, but keep a few rivarly games(like Stanford should always play USC, Oregon vs Washington/Oregon St, etc). Then take the 2 best teams and put them in the conference championship game.
thats what I was saying earlier. Oregon and Stanford were the 2 best in conference a couple years running

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as in you dont like their placement in the North division or you dont like them as a team to do well in the North?
placement i would prefer they were in the south and either colorado or utah were north. just feels odd to me same with stanford but i guess they had to juggle what they could

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
placement i would prefer they were in the south and either colorado or utah were north. just feels odd to me

Stanford is north too and just across the bay, so doesn't seem a big deal to me.

California should be 2 states anyway.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford is north too and just across the bay, so doesn't seem a big deal to me.

California should be 2 states anyway.
I would have preferred stanford and cal south and utah and colorado north. But the north would lose A lot of strength. I still think the south is deeper

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
placement i would prefer they were in the south and either colorado or utah were north. just feels odd to me same with stanford but i guess they had to juggle what they could
They had to split the california schools to make the system work. Without it they couldn't have ensured every non california team had at least one road trip into the state for recruiting.

That's not a trivial matter. It's everything in college football.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have preferred stanford and cal south and utah and colorado north. But the north would lose A lot of strength. I still think the south is deeper

Well I hate Cal, so you can throw them in the MWC for all I care.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah but the NW schools wanted access to Cal as did Colorado. I would assume Utah was willing to be in a division with CO, WSU, UW, AZ and ORST if it meant Pac 12.
If the North would have been WSU, UW, OR, ORst, Ut and CO Oregon I think the results would have been about the same with Oregon, Stan, Stan, Oregon winning the conference just like they did.
as for division strength I agree the South is deeper right now and last year but as I argued elsewhere its cyclical. If you go back to 2000 the North schools were on top, then for a while the south, then North at the turn of the conference now south again. I woulndt be surprised that within the next 4 years North comes back around.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had to split the california schools to make the system work. Without it they couldn't have ensured every non california team had at least one road trip into the state for recruiting.

That's not a trivial matter. It's everything in college football.
I know their was really no choice and it had to be done. Just lost A little bit of rivalry with Cal up north and some of the luster with SC Stanford. But i do think the expansion was necessary Im not a rd robin fan

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know their was really no choice and it had to be done. Just lost A little bit of rivalry with Cal up north and some of the luster with SC Stanford. But i do think the expansion was necessary Im not a rd robin fan
Not sure I follow. It was in the contract that the cali schools would only go along with it if they played each other every year, and they do. All of your teams always play, north and south. Every non cali schools then rotates and does 2 years with one cali team in the other division (home/away) and then two with the other. They alternate every year. The years they have the one at home they are guaranteed to have their own division cali schools on the road.

It had ZERO impact on the california school rivalries.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah but the NW schools wanted access to Cal as did Colorado. I would assume Utah was willing to be in a division with CO, WSU, UW, AZ and ORST if it meant Pac 12.
If the North would have been WSU, UW, OR, ORst, Ut and CO Oregon I think the results would have been about the same with Oregon, Stan, Stan, Oregon winning the conference just like they did.
as for division strength I agree the South is deeper right now and last year but as I argued elsewhere its cyclical. If you go back to 2000 the North schools were on top, then for a while the south, then North at the turn of the conference now south again. I woulndt be surprised that within the next 4 years North comes back around.
I do like the way Oregon Stanford is shaping into a rivalry. But I would like to see the Huskies improve get back on track and become a power in the north. I think that would be beneficial to both the north and the PAC, I do think the PAC made a major statement last year as far as how strong the conference is as a whole. But come kickoff i'll hate all the PAC teams aside from SC :D

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I follow. It was in the contract that the cali schools would only go along with it if they played each other every year, and they do. All of your teams always play, north and south. Every non cali schools then rotates and does 2 years with one cali team in the other division (home/away) and then two with the other. They alternate every year. The years they have the one at home they are guaranteed to have their own division cali schools on the road.

It had ZERO impact on the california school rivalries.
I don't feel the impact is the same. with the divisions split it feels like the focus of Cal and Stanford has shifted more towards competing with competing and keeping up with Oregon, They may still play but the rivalries have shifted and lost some meaning while other rivalries are forming

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't feel the impact is the same. with the divisions split it feels like the focus of Cal and Stanford has shifted more towards competing with competing and keeping up with Oregon, They may still play but the rivalries have shifted and lost some meaning while other rivalries are forming
At one time UW and USC were rivals because they both were powers. Oregon really only had Oregon State because they were similar.

Rivalries shift over time as the landscape changes.

As for the importance of those games, it's still college football. EVERY single game matters every year. Stanford wants to beat USC and UCLA just as badly as Cal and Oregon.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At one time UW and USC were rivals because they both were powers. Oregon really only had Oregon State because they were similar.

Rivalries shift over time as the landscape changes.

As for the importance of those games, it's still college football. EVERY single game matters every year. Stanford wants to beat USC and UCLA just as badly as Cal and Oregon.
True some rivalries shift. But i can't say I've cared about cal since the shift

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much of that is because Cal has fallen off the earth after the decline during the Tedford era?

Hard to take a rivalry that seriously when it's one sided. Well, unless you are one of the many obsessed duck fans that can't get UW out of their heads. That's different. :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.