• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.5

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. That's why I never get too excited (I know you don't either) over star ratings. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's nice to look at recruiting and see lots of 4 and 5 star guys committing.

But, at the end of the day, that 3 star guy who may just need more experience/size/coaching can often end up being better than the 4 or 5 star guys signed ahead of him.
Watching his game highlights from last year he looks like he moves well. Fast feet and good with contact, but he also looks like a kid that hasn't played a lot of football.

BTW, he says he is now 6'6 340 lbs so he's still putting on weight. He still plays fairly athletic. Couple of his highlights had him way downfield on kick coverage. I can see why Oregon wanted him.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching his game highlights from last year he looks like he moves well. Fast feet and good with contact, but he also looks like a kid that hasn't played a lot of football.

Kinda what I figured. Guys like that are great because they know they are playing catch up experience wise and will likely be more coachable than some of the 4 and 5 star guys who may think they already have it all figured out.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Versatile lineman who can play multiple positions for you depending. That's the ticket.

^^^THIS^^^

Along with Sam Darnold's feet, versatility on the o-line saved USC's bacon last year. If memory serves, we lost something like 3 or 4 starters on the o-line last year. Because of having versatile o-linemen, we were able to plug up the holes by moving guys around, well enough to at least be a somewhat solid line.

The o-line was nothing special and Darnold's feet helped quite a bit. But without versatile o-linemen, those injuries could have proven disastrous.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. That's why I never get too excited (I know you don't either) over star ratings. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's nice to look at recruiting and see lots of 4 and 5 star guys committing.

But, at the end of the day, that 3 star guy who may just need more experience/size/coaching can often end up being better than the 4 or 5 star guys signed ahead of him.

Stars matter as a gauge of how talented and far the player is already in the development, but honestly, if a kid has 3 stars, he's already in the ballpark to be able to play football for a P5 program. Some may be projects. Some also didn't play for one of the marquee programs in the state that has recruiting analysts and websites fawning over them. A lot it also depends on coaching and development once they get to the college level. Huskies have one of the best coaching staffs in the game. He's a junior in high school and already 6'6 and 330. And not a obese fatass 330 just throwing a bunch of lard around . He's in great shape from the game film I've seen. So for a P5 lineman? Exactly what your looking for. WOOF!!!

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BTW, he says he is now 6'6 340 lbs so he's still putting on weight. He still plays fairly athletic. Couple of his highlights had him way downfield on kick coverage. I can see why Oregon wanted him.

Oregon wasn't taking him in. He may be a good player but Oregon got lineman who were higher on their board.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey PAC12er's

Come join the 2017 PAC12 Wins Pickem!

If you don't know already, you can find the SportsHoopla Pickem's in the middle of the screen, just underneath the College Baskeball Forum.

First click on SportsHoopla Pickem's, then on Manage Your Pools. At the bottom, click on Join.

It's that easy.

The pickem is now open to join, and will close on Aug. 26th @ 8am.

Once you join, click on Manage Your Picks, make sure you are in the right pool and if not click on Manage Your Pools once again. Then click on Manage Your Picks.

Make your picks on all 12 teams and save at the bottom.

We plan to have 3 Season Winners vCash prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but you have to join to win.

While you're at it, make sure to join the 6th annual 2017 PAC12 Regular Season Pickem!

We usually close each game 15 minutes give or take, prior to the scheduled kick off.

We plan to have 3 Weekly Winners with vCash prize and 3 Season winners with vCash prizes too!

:suds:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stars matter as a gauge of how talented and far the player is already in the development, but honestly, if a kid has 3 stars, he's already in the ballpark to be able to play football for a P5 program. Some may be projects. Some also didn't play for one of the marquee programs in the state that has recruiting analysts and websites fawning over them. A lot it also depends on coaching and development once they get to the college level. Huskies have one of the best coaching staffs in the game. He's a junior in high school and already 6'6 and 330. And not a obese fatass 330 just throwing a bunch of lard around . He's in great shape from the game film I've seen. So for a P5 lineman? Exactly what your looking for. WOOF!!!

Yeah, based on what you and Wiz have said about him, it looks like he just wasn't a "known guy" yet. If he still has a year of high school to go, he'll probably be rated higher by the end of the season. Looks like the Huskies got a good one.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, based on what you and Wiz have said about him, it looks like he just wasn't a "known guy" yet. If he still has a year of high school to go, he'll probably be rated higher by the end of the season. Looks like the Huskies got a good one.

He would of been a 4+* guy if he hadn't moved to the US just two years ago and started playing American HS football. I think he's getting dinged because of that which does happen. Fife is a solid program which the Huskies have recruited out of before, but it's not one of the absolute powerhouses of this state. I think they recognize his potential to be a very capable P5 level Olineman. The Huskies had him as one of their high level targets for the Oline for the 2018 class. Probable redshirt for his freshman year to get him completely coached up and ready, but after that, he'll be out there on the field for games and blocking out the sun since he may have another inch or two still left to grow. But that body of his might be out there on the field next year as well. Size wise, he's already a college lineman which is ridiculous.
Love this get for the 2018 class. Prefect Petersen type of player. And it's always nice to keep a local.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is also the case that the three star guy might be three stars because he isn't getting the attention of the four and five star programs - something that while correlated to talent, is not in lock step with it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is also the case that the three star guy might be three stars because he isn't getting the attention of the four and five star programs - something that while correlated to talent, is not in lock step with it.

Agree. Heck, we've seen that with USC quarterbacks. Matt Barkley came out of Mater Dei which is pretty much a football factory with a pipeline to USC. He was a 4 or 5 star prospect. He was also very good at USC.

Then you look at Sam Darnold who was a 3 star coming out of San Clemente High School (not known as a football factory) and he's already better than Barkley was.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you just have to hope USC or the Trees don't flip him. :dhd:
Well, seems they are hedging their bets on that front with an offer to an OL that has committed to USC. :whsitle:

In before total outrage by jim

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, seems they are hedging their bets on that front with an offer to an OL that has committed to USC. :whsitle:

In before total outrage by jim
lol. I don't care when other teams offer players committed to USC, don't even care if they flip .. I just laugh how much some people do. Isn't it a complement when other do ?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh good. You are finally over putting up a dozen posts slamming Petersen for doing his job.

This particular recruit seems a bit wishy washy as it is. I believe he committed and said at the end that he's still keeping his options open. I mean what the fuck does that even mean? :noidea: Go ahead and mark that scholarship used... but I want a lot more attention.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. I don't care when other teams offer players committed to USC, don't even care if they flip .. I just laugh how much some people do. Isn't it a complement when other do ?

Oh good. You are finally over putting up a dozen posts slamming Petersen for doing his job.

This particular recruit seems a bit wishy washy as it is. I believe he committed and said at the end that he's still keeping his options open. I mean what the fuck does that even mean? :noidea: Go ahead and mark that scholarship used... but I want a lot more attention.

To be fair to Pertersen, I haven't seen or heard much more of him getting upset over players flipping or others schools contacting UW comits. I think it may have been part of his learning to adjust to how the game is played at the P5 level.

At Boise, he rarely had to deal with 4 and 5 star recruits who are used to getting a lot of attention from major programs. I'd bet that most of his recruits at Boise were just glad to be getting offered by a team that had managed to put itself into the national spotlight despite being a mid-major.

4 and 5 star recruits are used to a lot more attention and have been known to flip because the team they committed to scaled back the amount of attention they gave him based on him committing.

The bold in your post is spot on. Pretty much, he's saying "Don't stop paying attention to me until you have my signature on a scholly."

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't know how much the early signing period will change things for all of these coaches.

I hope we don't hear about coaches putting pressure on kids to use that period under threat of pulling offers or similar abuse.

It won't end the pressure to flip, but just move it farther up on the timeline. It will now be heavier on the kids while they are still actually in their own football season.

This will be an interesting recruiting season as we see how coaches and recruits adapt to the new landscape changes.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's kinda a dirty business (recruiting). Now that Washington has higher aspirations you will occasionally see a recruit whos been committed for a while start to look around because he's noticing the coach is looking at some players who play the same position as he does and are higher ranked. They don't come out ans tell him he's no longer in their plans but they don't discourage him from looking and probably make some calls to coaches they are tight with letting them know they should go after him if they are in need at his position.