• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.5

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't every player sure the day they commit? Doesn't every coach ask is this what you want? The difference is every other coach knows kids can change their minds, situations chang, coaches leave, other players who play the same position are also brought in. The difference is everywhere else they aren't strongarmed into closing everything down. Those players your coach is free to go visit and test their commitment. He gets the opportunity to flip players who some time back told their coach they were sure.
See, here you go again.

I can take it line by line if you like.

Doesn't every coach ask is this what you want?
Well, not always and really probably not even most anymore. It's far more common for some of them to tell them this is what you want and push them into it and try to hold them to it. The kids have all kinds of stories about being hounded to death and pushed. I don't think all ask them to be sure before signing.

There are stories about kids that flip 2-3 times because they can't say no so they sign with everyone that pushes them and never really commit because it's what they want.

Say what you want about Petersen, but he tries to help them figure out if UW (and BSU before it) will be home. That's not what every coach does.

The difference is every other coach knows kids can change their minds, situations chang, coaches leave, other players who play the same position are also brought in.
Yep, and his staff knows that to. Where does he say you will be executed if you leave? ALL they say is if you go looking around after you commit we will take it that you aren't really committed and might not have a spot. That's hardly a punishment for a kid that really does change their minds. There is no consequence at all for leaving. Two have this year and nothing bad came to them for changing their minds.

The difference is everywhere else they aren't strongarmed into closing everything down.
\
It isn't strong armed when you tell them up front that this is the terms of picking UW. You are asked to go make sure before you commit and then asked to shut it down if you do. They have every right and ability to think that's too much and not take the commitment. They are also free to just not give an answer all the way up to signing day and hope there's a spot if they like. Doesn't 'strong arm' seem a bit steep there?

Those players your coach is free to go visit and test their commitment. He gets the opportunity to flip players who some time back told their coach they were sure.
He exercises the same right every other coach in america has, even to his own kids. There is nothing that says any coach can't approach a recruit and make an offer. They do and I have never heard of anything bad coming from it. This is where you all get stuck. Kids are asked not to commit here unless they are really committed. They seek out if there are kids already committed elsewhere that might not be fully committed there and back off if they are. There is nothing at all inconsistent with that in my opinion and I'll be fine leaving at that because I know you don't agree.

They lost a few 4 and 5 star recruits and it would be interesting to find out if any of his OKG stuff caused any to leave, or if it was only about other things at the places they ended up going to. I think he may need to drop it all and get as dirty in the trenches and get as vicious about other players as everyone else at the top of the sport is or he's going to keep on losing more of that caliber of player. That's just my opinion.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, here you go again.

He exercises the same right every other coach in america has, even to his own kids. There is nothing that says any coach can't approach a recruit and make an offer. They do and I have never heard of anything bad coming from it. This is where you all get stuck. Kids are asked not to commit here unless they are really committed. They seek out if there are kids already committed elsewhere that might not be fully committed there and back off if they are. There is nothing at all inconsistent with that in my opinion and I'll be fine leaving at that because I know you don't agree.

/QUOTE]

Nothing says other coaches cant do what he's doing but he's forced his players to shut down their recruitment so they have no contact with other coaches or they could face consequences. While he's free to go talk to players who commited to another school another coach who wants them just as much as Peterson wants his. But He's made sure his recruits dont get this opportunity to see whats out there even after they commited. Somehow UW recruits are off the market but hey lets go see if we can flip some kids from other schools. Some how hes made sure they are sure but if they arent well lets not let another coach talk to them like he's going to do to others.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a surprising response, and I still don't agree with a single premise of it.

What I knew of Petersen at Boise State was he seemed like a nice guy, was obvious he was a hell of a coach, and he wasn't afraid to use trick plays. And then there was that 'OKG' stuff that sounded kind of corny or hokey or something. And of course he has the rep of being able to take on teams with way more talent if he has several weeks to prepare. Didn't know much more than that.

Clearly we know more now as we have read and heard his words in our local media. There's no doubt he is the most genuine guy we have had in that position in over 20 years. He's all about honor and integrity and discipline. He dropped a guy of his team here out of principle that is now playing on Sunday's and was one of the best players on the team. I'm not giving you rah rah, but he's just that kind of a dude. He's also a bit boring and I've never heard him say a single disrespectful or even rivalry kind of thing ever.

We have a very different view of him and what he's about and that impacts how we view his policies. And I have zero doubt any of you would see it any differently if you had that level of access to finding out what he was about either.

Have a good night. Just got back out of the hot tub and I'm so relaxed I don't think I can keep my eyes open for much longer.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the most active UW forum I've found and it's weird as F.
Message Boards

Is there nothing better? You guys are active.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So there are no active Washington forums.. okay.
UW boards are deader than disco. UW Facebook groups are another story. Those are active as is a few solid PAC-12 Facebook groups. The one I'm in has turned into a dating site ... lots of gals in there that meet up agt games to screw other group members.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW boards are deader than disco. UW Facebook groups are another story. Those are active as is a few solid PAC-12 Facebook groups. The one I'm in has turned into a dating site ... lots of gals in there that meet up agt games to screw other group members.
Lol.. that's something I'd expect from SEC country.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol.. that's something I'd expect from SEC country.
It makes the group interesting. A UW fan can go see a game somewhere like Salt Lake City and have a piece of ass lined up for the night before. It's kind of like a bonding among PAC fans.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-star OT/OG Jaxson Kirkland (Portland, OR) has committed to Washington. WOOF!!! :suds:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Okay now would be the time for you to post pics!

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon gets 4* OT JUCO player George Moore

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting read. His take is pretty solid. I just hope it pans out for the Ducks. Numbers and projections are all well and good, but they mean nothing if you don't produce between the lines.

Yeah, on the one hand, it's good to have most of the production coming back. On the other hand, that production resulted in a 4-8 record.

It'll be interesting to see how those guys respond to the new coaching staff. If they can turn that around and go 7-5 or 8-4 and a solid mid tier bowl game, that would be a great start for that staff and show they got the kids to buy in.