• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price has an opt out after 3 years. So unless he goes full Andrus on them Boston likely won't be paying 7 years of that. So he's getting some serious cash for 3 years, and if the dude goes out and wins a Cy Young maybe he was worth it for them.

Dave Dombrowski loves paying dudes over 30 a crap ton of a money.

The key here is, "Price has the opt out."

Let's say he pitches terrifically during the next 3 seasons. But at the age of 34, and probably having around 2000 innings on his resume, is anyone going to give him anything close to 4 years at $30 mil per? Can't see that happening, regardless of what he accomplishes on the short run. I can see the Tigers on the hook for this entire contract quite easily.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's say he pitches terrifically during the next 3 seasons. But at the age of 34, and probably having around 2000 innings on his resume, is anyone going to give him anything close to 4 years at $30 mil per? Can't see that happening, regardless of what he accomplishes on the short run. I can see the Tigers on the hook for this entire contract quite easily.

Well if Dombrowski found a way to have the Tigers pay for all of Price's contract while he pitches for the Red Sox then he's a genius! Heh ;)

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GMs are not as smart as they should be sometimes. That is why I think we should always keep an open mind about the possibilities of being able to trade players who we might think are untradeable. Within reason of course.

There are also some who probably think what he has done in the postseason is a fluke and that it will get much better. There is a significant number of baseball people who don't believe in clutch performers and therefore discount what appears to us to be Price choking.

i will admit that it pays to have an open mind on this subject but we are also have to realistic in that it is unlikely that some team is going to give us anything but a bag of used balls in certain cases

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if Dombrowski found a way to have the Tigers pay for all of Price's contract while he pitches for the Red Sox then he's a genius! Heh ;)

ha ha ha......little backwards thinking there.

But insert Red Sox and whatta you think?

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ha ha ha......little backwards thinking there.

But insert Red Sox and whatta you think?

The way contracts keep rising, I just don't know what to think. He would only have to find one team to pay him more than was already making, and by then who knows what kind of new desperate GM will be out there looking to make a splash.

If I am betting on the stupidity of 32 GMs I will do it every time.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is what I don't get... I mean, I get the concept of the player opt out, but it's usually with the idea that the player will be able to do better at that point in the contract.

I don't see how Price is going to do better than the 4/124 he'll have remaining.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston doesn't care about Cy Youngs. They want the trophy. And I'm not sure Price is the guy to deliver that.
A lot easier to win a WS when your best pitcher is the best in the league isn't it? They are going to be an expensive team. I don't get why they didn't get Lester back last year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how Price is going to do better than the 4/124 he'll have remaining.

Boston doesn't care about Cy Youngs. They want the trophy. And I'm not sure Price is the guy to deliver that.

On the first quote, I agree and this was my point to begin with. And it matters not what he does over the next 3 seasons really.

On the second one, this move and the Red Sox are all about winning as a team. They could care less about a guys individual accomplishments.

Obviously, if Price is winning CY then he's upholding his end of the deal, probably so anyway. But like you insinuated, his post season performance hasn't been great. However, it should be noted his teams have scored 19 runs in his 7 PS games.

Last edited:

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot easier to win a WS when your best pitcher is the best in the league isn't it?

In theory, yes.

In 2015, the Dodgers had Kershaw and Grienke, and they went as far in the postseason as the Rangers did.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In theory, yes.

In 2015, the Dodgers had Kershaw and Grienke, and they went as far in the postseason as the Rangers did.

The team as a whole underachieves yearly, but I doubt they would ever say they overpaid Greinke or Kershaw.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team as a whole underachieves yearly, but I doubt they would ever say they overpaid Greinke or Kershaw.

That's my point, sorta. It's awesome to have a top tier ace on the mound, but if the worker bees suck ass, it's all for naught.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is definitely able to play 1B.

I am not convinced of any such thing and have stated as much.

You must be bored again.

He is able to play 1B but not well, never has been, Choo is ABLE to play CF but he shouldn't

Prince is a DH at this point with the ability to play 1B in NL parks on occasion

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, it should be noted his teams have scored 19 runs in his 7 PS games.

Here's the question: now, as the pitcher with the (at this time) biggest FA contract ever... should this matter as much? What I mean is, Price is pulling down $31m a year now. He's being paid best-in-the-business money. If the Sox only score 2 or 3, shouldn't he be expected to only give up 1 or 2?

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Price overrated? And the only reason he is getting more than Kerhsaw is he was a free agent and got his deal after Kershaw. If Kershaw hit the market he would have gotten more.

Isn't a good pitcher in the postseason. David manning

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the question: now, as the pitcher with the (at this time) biggest FA contract ever... should this matter as much? What I mean is, Price is pulling down $31m a year now. He's being paid best-in-the-business money. If the Sox only score 2 or 3, shouldn't he be expected to only give up 1 or 2?

I'm gonna answer you with your earlier answer, "well, sorta."

First, he didn't write the contract, he just accepted it. The size of the contract is totally on the Red Sox.

Second, if a pitcher has a ERA of 2.85, it's really totally unfair to ask him to give up 1 run one night and 2 on his next outing b/c his team can't hit for squat.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His 1400 other innings of work disagree with you. But yeah play the small sample game.
But you have to admit that is a very important small sample. He has not been able to elevate his game like many studs will do in the playoffs.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you have to admit that is a very important small sample. He has not been able to elevate his game like many studs will do in the playoffs.

Boston isn't paying $31m/year for a kickass regular season, exactly. They're expecting him to get them to AND through October. I think his postseason stats should be part of the discussion, given the significant variance.

Status
Not open for further replies.