• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless Price is not a proven commodity in the postseason. Hamels is at this point. Boston GM is infatuated IMO. Maybe small sample to some but big investments warrant more proof

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless Price is not a proven commodity in the postseason. Hamels is at this point. Boston GM is infatuated IMO. Maybe small sample to some but big investments warrant more proof

Question for the board:

who would you prefer on the mound for the Rangers in a "final win of the World Series" scenario - David Price or Cole Hamels?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is able to play 1B but not well, never has been, Choo is ABLE to play CF but he shouldn't

Prince is a DH at this point with the ability to play 1B in NL parks on occasion

exactly no body is going to want him as a 1B

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question for the board:

who would you prefer on the mound for the Rangers in a "final win of the World Series" scenario - David Price or Cole Hamels?

Hamels and it isn't even close. Not saying this b/c he's a Ranger either.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got the kid I wanted from Seattle.

This from Jamey Newberg:

The Rangers have acquired corner bat Patrick Kivlehan from Seattle to complete the trade that sent outfielder Leonys Martin to the Mariners for right-handed reliever Tom Wilhelmsen.

There's a lot to like in Kivlehan's game, and I'm not so sure he's not a bigger piece in the deal for Texas than center fielder James Jones was.

Kivlehan was added to Seattle's 40-man roster two weeks ago and accordingly moves onto the Rangers' 40.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly no body is going to want him as a 1B

Scotty.....do us and yourself a favor. When making statements like this, either attach it as a response to someone else's post, or make a more definitive statement.

I'm sure you're talking about Prince, but we quit talking about him about a day-and-a-half ago. So your statement kinda comes outta the blue since the main subject has been Price/pitching and contracts recently.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got the kid I wanted from Seattle.

This from Jamey Newberg:

The Rangers have acquired corner bat Patrick Kivlehan from Seattle to complete the trade that sent outfielder Leonys Martin to the Mariners for right-handed reliever Tom Wilhelmsen.

There's a lot to like in Kivlehan's game, and I'm not so sure he's not a bigger piece in the deal for Texas than center fielder James Jones was.

Kivlehan was added to Seattle's 40-man roster two weeks ago and accordingly moves onto the Rangers' 40.

How close to ML ready is this guy? He'll be 26 in a few weeks, so the clock is ticking.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is able to play 1B but not well, never has been, Choo is ABLE to play CF but he shouldn't

Prince is a DH at this point with the ability to play 1B in NL parks on occasion
All I am saying is that he is essentially the same 1B that he was 8 months ago and the Rangers were content going into the season with him playing 1B. Some seem to have changed their mind about him simply because Prince did what was best for the team. He is not a quality 1B, but he is adequate for teams who need his bat in the lineup.

I don't remember any outcry from Rangers fans a few months ago saying Prince should be replaced at 1B and that JD was wrong to not find a replacement at 1B last offseason. Last offseason most wanted Mitch out of here and were quite satisfied with Prince as our everyday 1B. Now that has magically changed. He is not any worse of a first baseman now than he was then.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How close to ML ready is this guy? He'll be 26 in a few weeks, so the clock is ticking.
He had a full season at AAA this year so he should very close to being ready now.

His overall numbers declined in 2015 from 2014 when he was at AA, but he came on strong as the season wound down. In his last 35 games he hit .299 and in his last 19 games he hit .392. He also hit 5 HRs and 9 doubles in those final 19 games. His slugging percentage was .696 in those final 19 games.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a full season at AAA this year so he should very close to being ready now.

His overall numbers declined in 2015 from 2014 when he was at AA, but he came on strong as the season wound down. In his last 35 games he hit .299 and in his last 19 games he hit .392.

Maybe he'll come to ST and compete for a platoon position in LF/backup COF/backup at 1st & 3rd.

This guy being included in the trade is another strong indication the Rangers are more than willing to shop MM.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he'll come to ST and compete for a platoon position in LF/backup COF/backup at 1st & 3rd.

This guy being included in the trade is another strong indication the Rangers are more than willing to shop MM.
He even started 9 games in CF in 2015 so I would think he could play a pretty good COF.

JD did an amazing job with this trade.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scotty.....do us and yourself a favor. When making statements like this, either attach it as a response to someone else's post, or make a more definitive statement.

I'm sure you're talking about Prince, but we quit talking about him about a day-and-a-half ago. So your statement kinda comes outta the blue since the main subject has been Price/pitching and contracts recently.
Actually I was responding to jta who was talking about Prince

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember any outcry from Rangers fans a few months ago saying Prince should be replaced at 1B and that JD was wrong to not find a replacement at 1B last offseason. Last offseason most wanted Mitch out of here and were quite satisfied with Prince as our everyday 1B. Now that has magically changed. He is not any worse of a first baseman now than he was then.

I always felt the Rangers were stuck, not to be confused with "satisfied" to have Prince at 1st. Prince's attitude was, "I'm an everyday player and if I'm not, I'm going to be very unhappy." At least this was my impression, and a strong one at that. So we played him at 1st in order to get his bat in the daily lineup.

He wasn't and isn't even an average 1st baseman, and now with his age/injury history, I just don't see a team really wanting him to be much more than a DH/backup 1st baseman at best.

My mind changed none at all, other than the fact I gained a boat load of respect for the guy for admitting he's not a good 1st baseman.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Freeman's baby was born last night. Congratulations to them.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always felt the Rangers were stuck, not to be confused with "satisfied" to have Prince at 1st. Prince's attitude was, "I'm an everyday player and if I'm not, I'm going to be very unhappy." At least this was my impression, and a strong one at that. So we played him at 1st in order to get his bat in the daily lineup.

He wasn't and isn't even an average 1st baseman, and now with his age/injury history, I just don't see a team really wanting him to be much more than a DH/backup 1st baseman at best.

My mind changed none at all, other than the fact I gained a boat load of respect for the guy for admitting he's not a good 1st baseman.
And we were willing to trade for him knowing he would be the everyday 1B. I think teams who need his bat would be willing to stick him at 1B just like the Rangers have been. I am not saying he would be an ideal fit for the NL, but I don't discount the possibility that just like the Rangers some NL team may be willing to take him if they need his bat bad enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.