• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Red Sox just gave David Price over $200 mil for 7 seasons!

Fucking stupid. $31m a year for 7 years. I mean, all along the word around the campfire was that the Red Sox were not going to let him go anywhere else. But thanks for fucking up the market, dicks.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking stupid. $31m a year for 7 years. I mean, all along the word around the campfire was that the Red Sox were not going to let him go anywhere else. But thanks for fucking up the market, dicks.

Lemmings to the sea my man.

This is way on the other side of absurd IMO. Are we the only one's who watched this guy, not only pitch, but look like a deer-in-the-headlights during the post season?

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to see this guy thinks Napoli will be too expensive for us to keep.
What did he say? I looked for something about Napoli in the article and couldn't find it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Red Sox just gave David Price over $200 mil for 7 seasons!
That kind of money just doesn't mean what it did even 5 years ago. Many teams seem to have a whole lot of money to spend since the recent TV deals.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price gets an AAV of $31 million. Most think Greinke will get $35 for his AAV. Cueto turns down 6 for $120. Zimmerman gets $22 million for his AAV.

These are different times. Spending is skyrocketing due to the recent TV deals. A GM had either be prepared to spend or build through the farm or he will get left behind.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did he say? I looked for something about Napoli in the article and couldn't find it.

but I will guess that Mike Napoli is not one of them mainly because I believe that Napoli will want more money than the Rangers are willing/able to offer.

this was under his "projecting the payroll" near the end of the article, and not in the article itself actually.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That kind of money just doesn't mean what it did even 5 years ago. Many teams seem to have a whole lot of money to spend since the recent TV deals.

Agreed, as insane as that may sound. But to pay this amount for Price who has shown he has no ability to win in the post season whatsoever is crazier than insane.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, as insane as that may sound. But to pay this amount for Price who has shown he has no ability to win in the post season whatsoever is crazier than insane.

And this is why I like Hamels better. Post season clutch

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GMs are not as smart as they should be sometimes. That is why I think we should always keep an open mind about the possibilities of being able to trade players who we might think are untradeable. Within reason of course.

There are also some who probably think what he has done in the postseason is a fluke and that it will get much better. There is a significant number of baseball people who don't believe in clutch performers and therefore discount what appears to us to be Price choking.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the same reason why I was perfectly happy with letting CJ walk a few years back.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the same reason why I was perfectly happy with letting CJ walk a few years back.

That was exactly my thought re Ceej as well. Has not worked well for LAA. Really thought he would be traded last year after meltdown. I would take him though but he would not make playoff roster here. Just eat innings

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price is overrated IMO. Even though he's pretty good. But he's getting paid more than kershaw... C'mon now. Grenkie is sure to get paid now too

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price is overrated IMO. Even though he's pretty good. But he's getting paid more than kershaw... C'mon now. Grenkie is sure to get paid now too

How is Price overrated? And the only reason he is getting more than Kerhsaw is he was a free agent and got his deal after Kershaw. If Kershaw hit the market he would have gotten more.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seattle Mariners have agreed to trade slugger Mark Trumbo to theBaltimore Orioles in exchange for catcher Steve Clevenger, a source confirmed to ESPN's Jim Bowden.

By acquiring Trumbo, the Orioles might be preparing for the departure of first baseman Chris Davis. Davis is coming off of a 47-homer season and is the biggest bat on the free-agent market.

The Mariners are now pursuing outfielder Marcell Ozuna of the Miami Marlinsand free agent Nori Aoki to replace Trumbo, a source told Bowden.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seattle Mariners have agreed to trade slugger Mark Trumbo to theBaltimore Orioles in exchange for catcher Steve Clevenger, a source confirmed to ESPN's Jim Bowden.

By acquiring Trumbo, the Orioles might be preparing for the departure of first baseman Chris Davis. Davis is coming off of a 47-homer season and is the biggest bat on the free-agent market.

The Mariners are now pursuing outfielder Marcell Ozuna of the Miami Marlinsand free agent Nori Aoki to replace Trumbo, a source told Bowden.

Trumbo is a dude that had a pretty high ceiling but never met it.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Word is Grienke wants 5 or 6 with an AAV higher than Price.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trumbo is a dude that had a pretty high ceiling but never met it.

Agreed.....I question if a guy who is avg around 23 HR and less than 70 RBI per season can be considered a slugger at all.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is Grienke wants 5 or 6 with an AAV higher than Price.

And based on what Price received he's worth it.

I've never been a fan of a system which bases someones value on what someone else invested in another player. Using Price as the perfect example, IMO, this is a very bad contract. But now, Grienke's agents asking price just went up due to someone else's poor decision.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And based on what Price received he's worth it.

I've never been a fan of a system which bases someones value on what someone else invested in another player. Using Price as the perfect example, IMO, this is a very bad contract. But now, Grienke's agents asking price just went up due to someone else's poor decision.

Price has an opt out after 3 years. So unless he goes full Andrus on them Boston likely won't be paying 7 years of that. So he's getting some serious cash for 3 years, and if the dude goes out and wins a Cy Young maybe he was worth it for them.

Dave Dombrowski loves paying dudes over 30 a crap ton of a money.

Status
Not open for further replies.