• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I thought his estimate was on the liberal side. I think another team would be willing to pay between $13-15 million a year for Prince and we would have to pick up the rest after what Detroit is already picking up. After what Detroit will pay him for the remainder of his contract we will owe him $18 million per year for the next 5 years. I think if we kick in $5 million per year another team would be willing to pay him $13 million per year. We might have to kick in as much as $8 million in the last couple of years to bring our payout amount to about $31 million over 5 years and it could be significantly less than that. That should not be a deal breaker.

i don't think there is a team in the AL that would do that

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't think there is a team in the AL that would do that
If he was a free agent how much per year do you think he would get on the open market?

I wonder if you thought we would never be able to find a team to trade Michael Young to a few years back. I remember there were quite a few on the message boards a few years back who thought we would never be able to trade Young. Many thought we would never be able to trade Kinsler as well.

Last edited:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was a free agent how much per year do you think he would get on the open market?

I wonder if you thought we would never be able to find a team to trade Michael Young to a few years back. I remember there were quite a few on the message boards a few years back who thought we would never be able to trade Young. Many thought we would never be able to trade Kinsler as well.

well convince me that there are teams out there that would take him: name 1 or 2 or 3 that would do it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well convince me that there are teams out there that would take him: name 1 or 2 or 3 that would do it.
If I named 5 teams it wouldn't convince you. I could have named Detroit before the Kinsler trade and that wouldn't have convinced anyone. Anyone can pick teams at random. That doesn't prove anything. Either a person sees something as a possibility based on a knowledge of the league and its history or they don't.

I could make a case that if Baltimore fails to sign Chris Davis that they will be looking for a bat, but you could still be pessimistic and say it couldn't happen.

I am not saying it is going to happen because I am not certain JD even wants to do anything like that. All I am saying is that it could happen if JD decided to go that route. I am saying that if a team needed a 1B or a DH that they would be willing to pay close to $14-15 million per year for a player like Prince, especially if you made it so they would only owe him close to $10 million in the last two years of the contract. I also think you are wrong in limiting the possibility to an AL team.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think you are wrong in limiting the possibility to an AL team.

I cannot imagine a NL team wanting Prince Fielder as their everyday 1st baseman. Just can't imagine this at all

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot imagine a NL team wanting Prince Fielder as their everyday 1st baseman. Just can't imagine this at all
Just 8 months ago the Rangers were more than happy with Prince as their everyday first baseman. Had it not been for Prince deciding Mitch being at 1B would benefit the team the Rangers would still be happy with Prince as their everyday first baseman. Teams without a Moreland or his equivalent would probably feel the same way as the Rangers did a few months ago.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I named 5 teams it wouldn't convince you. I could have named Detroit before the Kinsler trade and that wouldn't have convinced anyone. Anyone can pick teams at random. That doesn't prove anything. Either a person sees something as a possibility based on a knowledge of the league and its history or they don't.

I could make a case that if Baltimore fails to sign Chris Davis that they will be looking for a bat, but you could still be pessimistic and say it couldn't happen.

I am not saying it is going to happen because I am not certain JD even wants to do anything like that. All I am saying is that it could happen if JD decided to go that route. I am saying that if a team needed a 1B or a DH that they would be willing to pay close to $14-15 million per year for a player like Prince, especially if you made it so they would only owe him close to $10 million in the last two years of the contract. I also think you are wrong in limiting the possibility to an AL team.

he is not able to play 1B so that eliminates NL teams. you seem convinced that the Rangers would even consider trading him i'm not. maybe in a year or 2

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just 8 months ago the Rangers were more than happy with Prince as their everyday first baseman. Had it not been for Prince deciding Mitch being at 1B would benefit the team the Rangers would still be happy with Prince as their everyday first baseman. Teams without a Moreland or his equivalent would probably feel the same way as the Rangers did a few months ago.

I'm not sure they were as happy about it as much as they accepted his below avg defensive capabilities in order to keep his bat, and his attitude, in the game.

To me, a NL team would be trading for a below avg 1st baseman, who you'll have to pay at least $50 mil over the next four years, who's bat may/may not be slowing down, is a total liability on the base paths, and he'll be 32 in May.

Frankly, I know we're all just playing "Hot stove GM" but I don't see this one. But if some GM over there is willing to entertain the idea I'd certainly like to see their offer.

Actually, I really don't see the Rangers having much interest in moving him. I'm sticking with the most logical person to be moved is Moreland.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I
I'm not sure they were as happy about it as much as they accepted his below avg defensive capabilities in order to keep his bat, and his attitude, in the game.

To me, a NL team would be trading for a below avg 1st baseman, who you'll have to pay at least $50 mil over the next four years, who's bat may/may not be slowing down, is a total liability on the base paths, and he'll be 32 in May.

Frankly, I know we're all just playing "Hot stove GM" but I don't see this one. But if some GM over there is willing to entertain the idea I'd certainly like to see their offer.

Actually, I really don't see the Rangers having much interest in moving him. I'm sticking with the most logical person to be moved is Moreland.
I am not sure they are interested in trading him either.

If Prince is traded they could still entertain the possibility of dealing Moreland. It would depend on which bat they decided to go after in free agency.

I could be wrong, but I think some hitters will get that much or more in free agency who aren't at Prince's level as a hitter.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he is not able to play 1B so that eliminates NL teams. you seem convinced that the Rangers would even consider trading him i'm not. maybe in a year or 2
He is definitely able to play 1B.

I am not convinced of any such thing and have stated as much.

You must be bored again.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prince could be moved and maybe to any league although the AL gives the DH option. I don't think they move him unless you pick up a viable 3-4 hitter. The good thing about moving him is it opens up the DH spot where other guys will likely need to slot in at some point. It may not work this year but if he has a successful season some move wil need to be made or our young guys will be blocked. Just don't move to move. We need to contend this year having 2 Aces I the squad. Ha

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Prince is traded they could still entertain the possibility of dealing Moreland. It would depend on which bat they decided to go after in free agency.

I could be wrong, but I think some hitters will get that much or more in free agency who aren't at Prince's level as a hitter.

I agree with ya on Moreland. If we resign Nap as expected, I still think there's a very real possibility of moving Mitch.

And if we were to trade Prince too, and perhaps I'm one-of-one, but I would kind of like to see us not have a guy who's sole value is as a DH.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with ya on Moreland. If we resign Nap as expected, I still think there's a very real possibility of moving Mitch.

And if we were to trade Prince too, and perhaps I'm one-of-one, but I would kind of like to see us not have a guy who's sole value is as a DH.

i can see Moreland being traded long before Prince. but i think we look at a right-handed LF'er, a catcher and a right-handed pitcher first

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i can see Moreland being traded long before Prince. but i think we look at a right-handed LF'er, a catcher and a right-handed pitcher first

IMO, there is no "first." It's all one big part of the process. Moving MM may solve one of those positional situations all by itself.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Red Sox just gave David Price over $200 mil for 7 seasons!

Status
Not open for further replies.