• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is the third Ranger manager to win the award since it has been decided by the BBWAA. Prior to the BBWAA taking over we had 2 managers to win it. So it is the 5th time a Rangers manager has won Manager of the Year.

Billy Martin 1974
Bobby Valentine 1986
Johnny Oates 1996
Buck Showalter 2004
Jeff Banister 2015
I only see where the last 3 on your list won the award.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only see where the last 3 on your list won the award.

This from saddles yesterday afternoon.

He is the third Ranger manager to win the award since it has been decided by the BBWAA. Prior to the BBWAA taking over we had 2 managers to win it. So it is the 5th time a Rangers manager has won Manager of the Year.

Billy Martin 1974
Bobby Valentine 1986
Johnny Oates 1996
Buck Showalter 2004
Jeff Banister 2015

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from saddles yesterday afternoon.

Billy Martin 1974
Bobby Valentine 1986
Johnny Oates 1996
Buck Showalter 2004
Jeff Banister 2015

Your addendum clarifies it nicely. I was wondering if some other organization named the first two, since I heard no mention of them in other articles.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your addendum clarifies it nicely. I was wondering if some other organization named the first two, since I heard no mention of them in other articles.

Well thank you, but the credit goes to Bennie. Frankly, I didn't know the answer to this one any more than most of you. ha ha ha

But let me add this.......Banister received 17 of the 30 first-place votes and was named on all but two of the ballots to beat Houston’s A.J. Hinch by a 112-82 score.

I'm assuming each voter gets to name 3 men. So how on earth could 2 people not have Banister in their top 3? Probably some A-holes form NYC.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well thank you, but the credit goes to Bennie. Frankly, I didn't know the answer to this one any more than most of you. ha ha ha

But let me add this.......Banister received 17 of the 30 first-place votes and was named on all but two of the ballots to beat Houston’s A.J. Hinch by a 112-82 score.

I'm assuming each voter gets to name 3 men. So how on earth could 2 people not have Banister in their top 3? Probably some A-holes form NYC.

NEW YORK CITY............GET A ROPE!

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well I must've missed some posts.

To be fair we did have one guy vote MY for MVP in 2011 for Texas. Hell there has been been a unanimous hall of fame vote, so the BBWAA is made up of some stubborn ass dudes.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I must've missed some posts.

To be fair we did have one guy vote MY for MVP in 2011 for Texas. Hell there has been been a unanimous hall of fame vote, so the BBWAA is made up of some stubborn ass dudes.
This should read NEVER been a unanimous vote. The closest was Tom Seaver who got all but 5 votes. Just think about some of the guys coming up for election soon...Pedro Martinez being a name. Can you honestly believe that Pedro Martinez doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame? You should have your credentials revoked if you say no.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I understand how/why a guy could vote for a guy, even though it makes little to no sense in the rest of the real world. But to not have Banister in his top 3. Who was I wonder? And I'm not positive it's 3. It may be 5.

This should read NEVER been a unanimous vote. The closest was Tom Seaver who got all but 5 votes. Just think about some of the guys coming up for election soon...Pedro Martinez being a name. Can you honestly believe that Pedro Martinez doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame? You should have your credentials revoked if you say no.

Never have and never will understand of these guys who say, "I never vote for anyone on the first ballot" or "if Tom Seaver wasn't unanimous first ballot then how can this guy be?" It's either too old school, too stupid, too stubborn, or a combination of all of them........Frankly, I wasn't a huge fan of Pedro's. But I agree, what a hell-of-a-pitcher he was.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand how/why a guy could vote for a guy, even though it makes little to no sense in the rest of the real world. But to not have Banister in his top 3. Who was I wonder? And I'm not positive it's 3. It may be 5.

Never have and never will understand of these guys who say, "I never vote for anyone on the first ballot" or "if Tom Seaver wasn't unanimous first ballot then how can this guy be?" It's either too old school, too stupid, too stubborn, or a combination of all of them........Frankly, I wasn't a huge fan of Pedro's. But I agree, what a hell-of-a-pitcher he was.

My goodness that mindset of "I never vote for a guy the first time" bugs the crap outta me. 54 guys left Bob Gibson off their ballot. I wasn't alive to see him, but based on his numbers alone I know they were bat shit crazy to have done that. Anyway I can rail about voters and baseball awards all day, so I should just be happy Banny won.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually heard it was voters from Baltimore & Toronto

Regardless, it's nonsense. I just picked on NYC b/c I enjoy it so much.

Do you know when the vote, is it 3 deep? 5 deep? What?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually heard it was voters from Baltimore & Toronto

I was laughing cause that reminded me of the old Pace Picante sauce commercial.

Voting is always skewed IMO, based on demographics, regions and morons

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My goodness that mindset of "I never vote for a guy the first time" bugs the crap outta me. 54 guys left Bob Gibson off their ballot. I wasn't alive to see him, but based on his numbers alone I know they were bat shit crazy to have done that. Anyway I can rail about voters and baseball awards all day, so I should just be happy Banny won.

I did see Gibson, both on TV and in-person, and I can promise you he was actually better than his numbers.

Gibson was a machine on the hill. When the catcher - most of the time Tim McCarver - got him the ball, Bob got on the rubber and the hitter best be ready. His games were always some of the fastest played.

He was also a terrific hitter, with a lifetime avg of .206, and 24 HR.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Billy Martin won the award it was the Associated Press that voted on it. I remember him winning it so much because the Rangers had a give away at a game I went to in April of 1975. They gave away a poster that I had on my wall growing up. The poster recognized the 4 Rangers who won awards in 1974. It was Billy Martin for Manager of the year, Mike Hargrove for Rookie of the Year, Fergie Jenkins for Comeback Player of the Year, and Jeff Burroughs for MVP.

As far as Bobby Valentine winning it in 1986 I could not find anything to verify that. I got that from TR Sullivan and everything I found showed that Bobby came in second that season.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Billy Martin won the award it was the Associated Press that voted on it. I remember him winning it so much because the Rangers had a give away at a game I went to in April of 1975. They gave away a poster that I had on my wall growing up. The poster recognized the 4 Rangers who won awards in 1974. It was Billy Martin for Manager of the year, Mike Hargrove for Rookie of the Year, Fergie Jenkins for Comeback Player of the Year, and Jeff Burroughs for MVP.

Now that's one terrific story. Good for you. :suds:

Status
Not open for further replies.