• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and WTH was Holland's problem down the stretch? Will he get back to the Derek Holland that we saw the last 5 starts of 2014? Was it the 2 games where he threw a fu*kton of pitches right after coming off the DL, that did him in, or is this something we can expect to see for longer stretches going forward? I guess nobody really knows, but we need him to pitch considerably better than he did to close out 2015

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All teams do struggle with that at times, but we struggled more than our share. We had more games where we scored 2 or less runs than every other American League team that went to the postseason this year. The team that beat us in the postseason had 19 fewer games where they scored 2 runs or less than we did. And that was with a much better offense over the course of the last few weeks than we had shown all season long. For much of the season we were on pace to do far worse than we did.

For those reasons I think our overall run total for the season was somewhat of a mirage. I think we need offensive help to achieve the prize we are all wanting. We are too prone to long stretches where we struggle to put up more than 2 or 3 runs.

Good point (s). I knew you'd have this type of info at your fingertips. ha ha ha

One thing though, our problem was how poorly we hit against 4/5 type starters - stealing Murph's thoughts here - and this made for such long stretches of futility. If we can just bring a better mind set to the plate against guys we should wear out I think (hope) this helps a lot.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think JD tries moving those 2 for arms, maybe BP and a 4th type rotation guy maybe?

Don't rule this out. But I get the feeling we may go into the season with Holland/Hamels/Perez and probably Lewis. Then we'll go with whomever looks best coming out of ST out of Klein/Martinez/Gonzalez/Ranando. I also got the feeling the club won't rush Darvish back, but they seemed to be cautiously optimistic. Actually much more on the optimistic side.

Maybe the same thing in the pen. Diekman/Dyson/Kela/Tolleson are in. Then we go with one/two of Faulkner/Jackson/Freeman/Patton. And then we could use one of the starters who didn't make the cut as a long man outta the pen.

Honestly, l like your idea of another BP arm though. Really more so than a starter.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't know if we'd be interested in doing this or not.

First, wonder what we'd get back, and if they'd demand us eating a lot of salary. Second, would we then go with Alberto at SS until we see about Profar? And if Profar regresses or, heaven forbid, gets hurt again, we are in for a long road back to the playoffs.

What's best guess (s) on what they could send back?

Oh, and thank you for posting this. This is what the off season is all about.

Last edited:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if we'd be interested in doing this or not.

First, wonder what we'd get back, and if they'd demand us eating a lot of salary. Second, would we then go with Alberto at SS until we see about Profar? And if Profar regresses or, heaven forbid, gets hurt again, we are in for a long road back to the playoffs.

What's best guess (s) on what they could send back?

Oh, and thank you for posting this. This is what the off season is all about.

no clue what they would be willing to trade but it is interesting

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no clue what they would be willing to trade but it is interesting

They would like to unload Kemp's $, guy is too injured for me though

Ill take Tyson Ross and not have to eat half of Elvis' contract.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers trading martin to Seattle for wilhemson

I'd have to look but I think we are the only team that didnt hit Wilhelmson, then again we gave Leonys every opportunity and he never came through. Watch him become a threat at the plate with the M's. I just laughed a little typing that

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to look but I think we are the only team that didnt hit Wilhelmson, then again we gave Leonys every opportunity and he never came through. Watch him become a threat at the plate with the M's. I just laughed a little typing that

TBH - he has fairly comparable numbers to Tolleson. Somewhere between Anthony Bass & Tolleson.

Tom Wilhelmsen
Shawn Tolleson

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well shit...speaking of Anthony Bass...

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sidenote --- whoa.

Top 2016 American League Rookie of the Year candidates
r26291_100x100_1-1.jpg
1. Lewis Brinson, CF
Texas Rangers
Highest level: Triple-A (Round Rock)

The 2016 AL field is wide open. I'm going to stick my neck out there and tab this impact athlete as my No. 1. Minor leaguers develop at varying rates, and you never know when a given player is going to take a massive step forward. This is happening right now with this former multi-sport high-school star. He has cut his K rate dramatically, improved his performance as he has advanced through the minors, and he recently dominated the Arizona Fall League in a brief stint. He ranked No. 10 and 12, respectively, on my 2014 and 2015 minor league lists and appears to be turning into Juan Gonzalez before our eyes. He has only 37 Triple-A plate appearances, but he's better than Delino DeShields already and could alternately fill the Josh Hamilton void should the Rangers decide to turn the page with him.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Jones is a fast as they get, saw him at RR a couple years ago, but he may be less useful than Leonys at the plate and I remember him making an error in CF on a routine fly ball. Not sure how good of an OF'er he is either. Oh well time will tell. Here's to hoping they're great

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty great stuff there on Brinson

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well shit...speaking of Anthony Bass...

OK.....now tell us.....what's next? You're on a roll.

And honestly, I thought Bass wasn't going to be part of the Ranger family going forward (not sure why really), but I like the guy, appreciate his contributions, and sincerely wish him well.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he may be less useful than Leonys at the plate

WHAT? Say it ain't so.....please........And you need to tell how this is even possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.