• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy, Nick's July was not good. His April was outstanding.
He did rebound somewhat though from that bad stretch in July. His last start in July and the first one in August were pretty good starts and included a win against the Astros.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You say they can't afford not to, but I can't recall them ever doing so. I think Chi Chi is more than good enough to fill out the bottom spot in the rotation for 5-6 weeks unless some guy they bring in on a minor league deal does well enough to keep Chi Chi in Round Rock.

so in other words just hang around for the first month or so

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many 5th starters isn't that the case for? Also, a good out pitch could change that.

and that means to me that you put him at Frisco until he's developed and is comfortable that pitch
His long term development can be taken care of after early to mid May if it needs any more attention after this offseason. If he can't improve in the offseason then I am not sure he is going to improve next season at AAA either.

Even if he doesn't improve they simply aren't going to pay good money for a pitcher for 5-6 weeks of use. They just don't pay that kind of money for temporary insurance. It is also wise to remember that every penny they spend on extra pitching would mean less money to fortify the rest of the team. That is probably why they never do that.

if you read my post it isn't about 5-6 weeks it is so the team is competitive thru the year not just hanging around

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and that means to me that you put him at Frisco until he's developed and is comfortable that pitch

if you read my post it isn't about 5-6 weeks it is so the team is competitive thru the year not just hanging around

A 5th starter isn't going to be the difference in that. You don't invest the dollars in a "stud right hander" because you're waiting for Darvish to come back in mid May.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right now he is probably better than just about anyone they can go out and get without spending very much money and they are not going to spend very much money on someone who just replaces Darvish for a few weeks. Nick Martinez is also better right now than just about anyone they could go out and get without spending much money.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard, several times actually, that our budget has already gone up well over $20 mil from 18 months ago due to Hamels, escalation clauses and arbitration.

Now we're bidding on the Korean first baseman, and still need help in LF, perhaps SPing, catcher maybe, and the pen.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so in other words just hang around for the first month or so
Is "hanging around" what you call it when a rookie comes up and goes 7 plus in his first 4 big league starts and only gives up a total of 3 earned runs in those 4 starts? I hope all of our pitchers keep us hanging around like that next year. Those kind of starts keep you "hanging around" first place most of the time.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard, several times actually, that our budget has already gone up well over $20 mil from 18 months ago due to Hamels, escalation clauses and arbitration.

Now we're bidding on the Korean first baseman, and still need help in LF, perhaps SPing, catcher maybe, and the pen.
Those are the increases, but we have also seen major decreases by Feliz and Harrison being gone. Gallardo, Colby and Detwiler were paid a little over $20 million between the three of them as well.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are the increases, but we have also seen major decreases by Feliz and Harrison being gone. Gallardo, Colby and Detwiler were paid a little over $20 million between the three of them as well.

Yes this is true. But we're probably going to resign Colby and his price will be at a decent increase from last year IMO. Also, Choo's salary makes like a $5 mil jump, and I believe both Elvis and Prince get bumps this year too.

Next time I hear/read this, I'll try to get it all down b/c one of the guys went over the lineup and quoted all of what we're talking about here, and he came up with $20 some million increase.

Incidentally, what is the financial status of DeShields?

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes this is true. But we're probably going to resign Colby and his price will be at a decent increase from last year IMO. Also, Choo's salary makes like a $5 mil jump, and I believe both Elvis and Prince get bumps this year too.

Next time I hear/read this, I'll try to get it all down b/c one of the guys went over the lineup and quoted all of what we're talking about here, and he came up with $20 some million increase.

Lino should be making league minimum. He's no longer a rookie, and shouldn't be arb eligible for a while.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The money from Detroit kicks in this year for Prince so our outlay for him goes down. His salary remains the same over the course of his contract with us. It will be and has been $24 million each year since 2014. Starting this year Detroit kicks in $6 million. Choo goes up from $14 million to $20 million so those two offset each other.

Look for Leonys to be shipped out as well so that will save some also. Moreland leaving would save some and there are a few on here that are pretty sure that he will be dealt.

Colby will be resigned if he doesn't want much of a raise. An ERA that is closer to 5 than 4 should not get you much of a raise I wouldn't think.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elvis isn't due any raise in 2016. His salary never goes up again and eventually goes down slightly.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you don't sign a stud right hander because you're missing Darvish for 5-6 weeks. That's just short sighted.

Hamels
Colby
Holland
Perez
5th starter....

I get what you are saying....and agree.... but you also cant count on Darvish next year to be a horse. He'll be coming off Tommy John and be on an innings limit. Not to mention the usual issues pitchers have after coming back from TJ surgery.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

An FYI

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think they're hoping one of Rua, Gallo, or Mazara will be ready to jump in LF when Hamilton inevitably goes down.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now he is probably better than just about anyone they can go out and get without spending very much money and they are not going to spend very much money on someone who just replaces Darvish for a few weeks. Nick Martinez is also better right now than just about anyone they could go out and get without spending much money.
if you consider them the better option then we will just have to disagree. neither is capable of going thru a lineup 3 times which with them means you might get 4.1 to 5.1 innings per game if you are lucky and then you wear down your pen early

Status
Not open for further replies.