• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here is some absolute horseshit... Neither Banister or Hinch won AL Manager of the Year. It went to Paul Molitor.
Is that the "official" MOTY award?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well damn, I didn't realize there were two. Nor do I understand why there are two. Molitor won the Sporting News version.

Regardless, it still doesn't make any sense does it?

Can you post some of their rationale, if there is any? ha ha

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you mean REAL rationale or BULLSHIT rationale? I'm sure there is plenty of the latter.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have actually discussed that at length in the past couple of weeks on here.

I gave a link to a story where Thad Levine said they wanted to add a RH bat and that it would probably require making room by doing a creative trade. To me that seems to indicate that they will add a RH outfielder and trade Choo. The only left handed batters we would have to be creative about trading would be either Choo or Fielder.

The free agent hitters that I like are Davis, Cespedes and Wieters. I have no idea how much money they are willing to spend. It it was up to me I would sign both Cespedes and Davis and trade both Choo and Fielder. I think you would upgrade at two positions that way. Of course that would add about $20 million to payroll after taking into account what we would save on the two being traded and what we would have to spend on the two being added. I have no idea if they are willing to add $20 million or not though.

I also think they might try to trade Moreland and get something for him before he becomes a free agent in a year.

In return in those trades I would like to get back some bullpen help and maybe even some upper level depth at positions where we are thin at. We might be able to land a starting pitcher as well. Or at least some lower level prospects with high upside.

i can see trading Moreland. don't think there will be much interest in Choo or Fielder on the trade market unless the Rangers eat a lot of salary with both due over 100M over the next 5 years. Wieters makes sense and a RH OF'er to stick in LF but i've said that before. i could also se te Rangers trading for a RHSP

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here is some absolute horseshit... Neither Banister or Hinch won AL Manager of the Year. It went to Paul Molitor.

i suppose they looked at Toronto winning the East as the big factor i can't think of any other factor

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Apparently the Twins were "predicted to finish last" and then "almost made the Postseason."

As opposed to the Rangers and Astros, who were both predicted to suck ass and then actually did make the Postseason.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i suppose they looked at Toronto winning the East as the big factor i can't think of any other factor

What does Toronto winning the East have to do with the Minnesota Twins mgr getting an award?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Twins were "predicted to finish last" and then "almost made the Postseason."

As opposed to the Rangers and Astros, who were both predicted to suck ass and then actually did make the Postseason.

I actually thought Hinch would win it, and therefore, Banister would come in 2nd. And this isn't a knock on Molitor, nor the job he did.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually thought Hinch would win it, and therefore, Banister would come in 2nd. And this isn't a knock on Molitor, nor the job he did.

In the articles I've read, apparently Molitor is receiving praise for taking a 70 win team and making them an 83 win team.

Hinch: took a 70 win team and made them an 86 win team.
Banister: took a 67 win team and made them an 88 win team.

basmith

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the articles I've read, apparently Molitor is receiving praise for taking a 70 win team and making them an 83 win team.

Hinch: took a 70 win team and made them an 86 win team.
Banister: took a 67 win team and made them an 88 win team.
If I had a vote, it would be for Banister. But if I were to try and make a case for Molitor I would would think it would be based on the the Twins perceived talent level to start the season verses the that of the Rangers and Astros. Most of the voters were probably more surprised by the success of the Twins because on paper the other two rosters would seem like better bets to be in playoff contention come late September... And we all know how much basball award voters like to go with how they feel about a player as opposed to things like relevant stats (Jeter Gold Gloves anyone?)

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason I saw it that way was because we only have three guys that I can think of who would require creativity to be involved in order to trade them. One of them is RH so trading him would not correct the RH/LH imbalance. To me that leaves only Choo and Prince. I suppose we could find a RH outfielder and move Choo to DH if it is Prince they trade.

If they traded both of them then the reason for acquiring Davis would not be to fix the imbalance, but to upgrade at that position. Again though, I am really not sure they are going to be wiling to add $20 million in payroll.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because I have never cared for the NL and Joe Buck, I'm pulling for the Royals. Is Joe for the Mets,IDK but the WS with the Cards is reason enough to hate him. Can't forget.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i can see trading Moreland. don't think there will be much interest in Choo or Fielder on the trade market unless the Rangers eat a lot of salary with both due over 100M over the next 5 years. Wieters makes sense and a RH OF'er to stick in LF but i've said that before. i could also se te Rangers trading for a RHSP
Eating salary will have to be done sooner or later with those contracts so that is really not an ender. That is why Levine said creativity would be involved. If they didn't have huge contracts then creativity would not be necessary. So the contracts Fielder and Choo have make them more of a candidate to fit the type of trade Levine spoke of and not less likely.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because I have never cared for the NL and Joe Buck, I'm pulling for the Royals. Is Joe for the Mets,IDK but the WS with the Cards is reason enough to hate him. Can't forget.
Speaking of that, today is the anniversary of the date that will live in infamy for Rangers fans.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brinson is 2 for 4 with a double and a stolen base today . Profar got the day off.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of that, today is the anniversary of the date that will live in infamy for Rangers fans.

It will until we win our first. Then the pain and memories will subside greatly I suspect.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will until we win our first. Then the pain and memories will subside greatly I suspect.
The pain of the Jackie Smith drop in the Super Bowl still remains with me today even after three Super Bowls wins since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.