• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and you can't make decisions based solely on POSSIBLE potential without hamstring your team. you have to know when hold them and you have know when to fold them. you build a team and when it is time you integrate your prospects in but you don't hamstring the team to force a position for them.
So when you bring them up why are you bringing them up if it is not for the potential they have? They certainly haven't proven anything in the bigs if they are just being brought up? What did Ian or Elvis prove in the bigs before they came up. What did Profar prove in the bigs before they traded Ian? They had proven they had a lot of potential and the team decided to roll with them. The fact is they can't "prove" anything except for potential until they get a chance to play on a regular basis.

What exactly do you mean by forcing a position for them?

It is hamstringing your team if you wait until they prove something because the truth is they can't prove anything without being given a shot to do so. It is hamstringing the team because it means you can never have good, but cheap talent on the team. That is a recipe for failure for an organization.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So when you bring them up why are you bringing them up if it is not for the potential they have? They certainly haven't proven anything in the bigs if they are just being brought up? What did Ian or Elvis prove in the bigs before they came up. What did Profar prove in the bigs before they traded Ian? They had proven they had a lot of potential and the team decided to roll with them. The fact is they can't "prove" anything except for potential until they get a chance to play on a regular basis.

It is hamstringing your team if you wait until they prove something because the truth is they can't prove anything without being given a shot to do so. It is hamstringing the team because it means you can never have good, but cheap talent on the team. That is a recipe for failure for an organization.

Circular arguments abound, must be the offseason

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fraley: What the Rangers can learn from the free-swinging, World Series-bound Royals

Kansas City leadoff hitter Alcides Escobar will swing at the first pitch from New York Mets' starter Matt Harvey. Escobar will keep swinging at the first pitch to the end. In the regular season, Escobar swung at the first pitch in 33.2 percent of his plate appearances. He has stepped it up in the playoffs, swinging at the first pitch in 46 percent of his plate appearances.

Their success should make the rest of the league, including the Rangers, consider the alternatives.

Start with the Royals' approach to hitting.

Kansas City hitters are hacking from the moment they step into the box. The Royals ranked last in the majors during the regular season for pitches per plate appearance at 3.71. The Rangers tied for 13th at 3.83.

The Royals look for contact more than walks. In the last two seasons, Kansas City has ranked last in the AL for walks (763) and strikeouts (1,958.) The Rangers had 920 walks and 2,395 strikeouts in that time.

The Royals believe the emphasis on extended plate appearances has created passive hitters who get their pitch early in the count and do not respond. That pitch often is the first pitch. According to Escobar, the first pitch "99 percent is a fastball right there in the strike zone.''

Hitters feast on fastballs in the zone. In the regular season, Escobar hit .364 for 96 plate appearances that consisted of one pitch. The longer the plate appearance, the less effective Escobar was.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Bennie The average is calling for retribution to Bautista and even Martin for snubbing the AZ assign due to no playoff roster addition. It was a bad move but to just write him off to exact revenge is foolish. If he finds his hit tool he can be useful regardless of attitude. And yes DDJ is a pidgeon for base runners. He needs a better arm for CF.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and it is hamstringing the team if they follow the path you suggest. you want them brought up but to do that you have to clear roster spots to do that. that would require unloading players that have value to the team and then once you have done that what does the team do while waiting for these players to reach their "potential"? and what do we fans do while waiting for it?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of thought this morning on two ex-Rangers pitchers.

I am so happy for Edinson Volquez getting the start tonight in the first game of the WS. I remember hoping he slid through the cracks last offseason so the Rangers could sign him to a short term deal. He didn't and the Royals are very happy to have him. Glad to see home grown guys doing well. I guess the vaunted DVD pitchers weren't such a disappointment after all. Only Diamond failed to have any success at the big league level.

On the other hand is very sad to see what has become of Neftali Feliz. I have followed Feliz on Facebook for a few years now and it was sad to see him post this morning that he didn't think the Tigers wanted him. It is such a shame to see what has become of the guy who struck ARod out to send us to our first WS. I hope there is some way he can turn things around. He is still only 27.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and it is hamstringing the team if they follow the path you suggest. you want them brought up but to do that you have to clear roster spots to do that. that would require unloading players that have value to the team and then once you have done that what does the team do while waiting for these players to reach their "potential"? and what do we fans do while waiting for it?
Who do I want brought up and when do I want them brought up?

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of thought this morning on two ex-Rangers pitchers.

I am so happy for Edinson Volquez getting the start tonight in the first game of the WS. I remember hoping he slid through the cracks last offseason so the Rangers could sign him to a short term deal. He didn't and the Royals are very happy to have him. Glad to see home grown guys doing well. I guess the vaunted DVD pitchers weren't such a disappointment after all. Only Diamond failed to have any success at the big league level.

And former Rangers great Chris Young starting game 4.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And former Rangers great Chris Young starting game 4.
I still hate that trade...fucking Adam Eaton!!! I even hate the other dude named Adam Eaton...fuck all dudes named Adam Eaton! And Aki...ugh That was such a bad bad trade in terms of value for Texas.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was my questions to you.

we carry 13 position players on the 25 man:

Chirinos
Andrus
Beltre
Fielder
Moreland
Odor
Choo
Deshields
Hamilton

plus a utility infielder, either 2 Of'ers or 1 Of'er and a 1st baseman.

9 positions are set, assuming that we go with either Alberto or Profor that's 1, leaving 2 positions

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was my questions to you.
No, that was your accusation. You didn't frame it as a question at all. I never said anything about bringing anybody up in this discussion. That is why I asked you who I wanted to bring up.

In time I will, but not anytime soon.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we carry 13 position players on the 25 man:

Chirinos
Andrus
Beltre
Fielder
Moreland
Odor
Choo
Deshields
Hamilton

plus a utility infielder, either 2 Of'ers or 1 Of'er and a 1st baseman.

9 positions are set, assuming that we go with either Alberto or Profor that's 1, leaving 2 positions
Those positions are set until free agency begins. Between now and February who knows what will happen. Trades and free agency could change the landscape some. They will probably be set going into ST, but I really doubt it stays exactly as it is now.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those positions are set until free agency begins. Between now and February who knows what will happen. Trades and free agency could change the landscape some. They will probably be set going into ST, but I really doubt it stays exactly as it is now.
Okay so who you see us pursuing during FA? And who do you see us trading?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay so who you see us pursuing during FA? And who do you see us trading?
I have actually discussed that at length in the past couple of weeks on here.

I gave a link to a story where Thad Levine said they wanted to add a RH bat and that it would probably require making room by doing a creative trade. To me that seems to indicate that they will add a RH outfielder and trade Choo. The only left handed batters we would have to be creative about trading would be either Choo or Fielder.

The free agent hitters that I like are Davis, Cespedes and Wieters. I have no idea how much money they are willing to spend. It it was up to me I would sign both Cespedes and Davis and trade both Choo and Fielder. I think you would upgrade at two positions that way. Of course that would add about $20 million to payroll after taking into account what we would save on the two being traded and what we would have to spend on the two being added. I have no idea if they are willing to add $20 million or not though.

I also think they might try to trade Moreland and get something for him before he becomes a free agent in a year.

In return in those trades I would like to get back some bullpen help and maybe even some upper level depth at positions where we are thin at. We might be able to land a starting pitcher as well. Or at least some lower level prospects with high upside.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here is some absolute horseshit... Neither Banister or Hinch won AL Manager of the Year. It went to Paul Molitor.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have actually discussed that at length in the past couple of weeks on here.

I gave a link to a story where Thad Levine said they wanted to add a RH bat and that it would probably require making room by doing a creative trade. To me that seems to indicate that they will add a RH outfielder and trade Choo. The only left handed batters we would have to be creative about trading would be either Choo or Fielder.

I did not take it to mean this at all. First, if we trade Choo, more than likely we're going to have to eat a substantial amount of money, albeit, he had a great 2nd half and all. But that's how I see it. And this would eat into any available dollars we have (which I don't see where we have much to begin with).

The free agent hitters that I like are Davis, Cespedes and Wieters. I have no idea how much money they are willing to spend. It it was up to me I would sign both Cespedes and Davis and trade both Choo and Fielder. I think you would upgrade at two positions that way. Of course that would add about $20 million to payroll after taking into account what we would save on the two being traded and what we would have to spend on the two being added. I have no idea if they are willing to add $20 million or not though.

I also think they might try to trade Moreland and get something for him before he becomes a free agent in a year.

Too both of your points above. I just don't see us adding a left-hand hitter to an already over-stocked LH team. Even if we do trade MM, it still leaves us with no net gain, if we trade Mitch and get another lefty to play first. Also, as to the budget, if we trade either Choo and/or Prince we're going to have to eat money and lots of it to get rid of Prince IMO. Same may be said for Choo, just not sure.

In return in those trades I would like to get back some bullpen help and maybe even some upper level depth at positions where we are thin at. We might be able to land a starting pitcher as well. Or at least some lower level prospects with high upside.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here is some absolute horseshit... Neither Banister or Hinch won AL Manager of the Year. It went to Paul Molitor.

That's a jaw-dropping decision there.

Status
Not open for further replies.