• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned this earlier, and I'll say it again - I'm speaking from a fan's view. Not from a baseball Front Office view. I have no idea what it's like to evaluate a player as a GM.
When we are commenting on here we are very often commenting about what the front office should do. To do so without trying to have a front office view doesn't make much sense to me. There is a ton of information and many sources available to help a fan to evaluate a prospect.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is one way we are different though. You are referring to all players. I think you have to take it on a case by case basis. Guys like Profar and Gallo and even Brinson and Mazara are completely different that the potential shown by the vast majority of those who flamed out. You can't lump in guys like Ian Kinsler, Hank Blalock, Warren Morris, and Kelly Dransfeldt all together. Kinsler and Blalock showed much more potential in the minors by the time they had been through the system. There are a lot of Kelly Dransfeldt types, but very few Jurickson Profar types.

Counterpoint: 2 years ago, who had more potential - Profar or Odor? and who is currently playing 2B for the Rangers?

Obviously it's a case by case basis for how much potential a player has. I'm not saying every prospect is on equal footing. Mike Piazza was drafted in the 62nd round as a favor to his dad.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirkland ........ cream and sugar plz
Mr. Kirkman is a perfect example of a guy who showed in the minors that he really doesn't have that much potential.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When we are commenting on here we are very often commenting about what the front office should do. To do so without trying to have a front office view doesn't make much sense to me. There is a ton of information and many sources available to help a fan to evaluate a prospect.

When I am giving my personal opinion on the value of "potential," it has nothing to do with how I think the Rangers should approach their farm system.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Counterpoint: 2 years ago, who had more potential - Profar or Odor? and who is currently playing 2B for the Rangers?

Obviously it's a case by case basis for how much potential a player has. I'm not saying every prospect is on equal footing. Mike Piazza was drafted in the 62nd round as a favor to his dad.

Which guy sustained two career threatening injuries?

And please don't use outliers to state any case. It doesn't help you at all.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mr. Kirkman is a perfect example of a guy who showed in the minors that he really doesn't have that much potential.
And he was given every chance under the sun plus a few other celestial bodies.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prince won AL comeback PotY. Good for him.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have never heard someone call their overpriced bean water terrific.

I don't really want to have an extensive conversation about something I know very little about. But I can read. And what I've read is StarBucks revenue over the past 12 months is more than $19 BILLION, with a profit of about $630 MILLION.

So obviously, there are 10's of millions of persons world wide, who think of StarBucks as something more than "overpriced bean water."

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is not a case of potential not playing out though. The fact that you can't see that is what I was referring to earlier when I said you were an example of the kind of fan I was talking about. Profar got hurt or Odor would have never seen 2B here.

By the way, if Profar's shoulder is well then I think in 3 years there won't be any question who is the better player. Profar will surpass Roogie if healthy. In fact that might be evident much sooner than 3 years.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really want to have an extensive conversation about something I know very little about. But I can read. And what I've read is StarBucks revenue over the past 12 months is more than $19 BILLION, with a profit of about $630 MILLION.

So obviously, there are 10's of millions of persons world wide, who think of StarBucks as something more than "overpriced bean water."

They are great at business and even better at marketing. They found a way to turn a pot of coffee into a seller. I will never fault a business for making money. McDonald's has a billion dollar empire, but short of their fries is their food really that great?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I am giving my personal opinion on the value of "potential," it has nothing to do with how I think the Rangers should approach their farm system.
It affects organizational wide decisions as well. Where you spend your free agency dollars and what kind of trades you make. The farm system and the potential of individual prospects are all interwoven in organizational decision making.

When the Rangers had Pudge in the system and thought he was close to coming up it would have made absolutely no sense to trade for a catcher or to spend money on a free agent. Same thing with Kinsler at 2B right before he came up.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a pretty interesting article from Ken Rosenthal re: managerial/GM opportunities moving forward.

Seattle Mariners manager Scott Servais' hiring continues a troubling trend of no experience necessary

Well he cannot be much worse than McLendon or some of the other guys who have experience right?
I bet there are tons of hidden gems in the minors though. I can never remember his name, but the dude who fixed roogie this year should earn a shot at working with more hitters now.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are great at business and even better at marketing. They found a way to turn a pot of coffee into a seller. I will never fault a business for making money. McDonald's has a billion dollar empire, but short of their fries is their food really that great?
Sometimes great marketing and a herd mentality can go a long way in making a company very profitable.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirkland ........ cream and sugar plz

There isn't enough cream & sugar in DFW to make that cup of java taste anything other than awful IMO.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes great marketing and a herd mentality can go a long way in making a company very profitable.
I don't even really even like coffee, but I trust people who know their stuff and they say it's generic and palatable, but not worth the hype. They are like the Blue Jays! Sexy pick to win it all but don't get the job done when it counts. That was a lame attempt to bring it back to baseball ;)

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It affects organizational wide decisions as well. Where you spend your free agency dollars and what kind of trades you make. The farm system and the potential of individual prospects are all interwoven in organizational decision making.

When the Rangers had Pudge in the system and thought he was close to coming up it would have made absolutely no sense to trade for a catcher or to spend money on a free agent. Same thing with Kinsler at 2B right before he came up.

you're right, we aren't looking at it the same way. I have no interest in playing armchair talent scout.

Status
Not open for further replies.