• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE OFFICIAL UNOFFICIAL STEELERS BS THREAD..PART5

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetRiot

Warn the others...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, "The standard is the standard." I like that they try to keep excuses to a minimum

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
400040_326170167413282_100000609043938_1089435_549186008_n.jpg

got this for my grandson for his birthday at Sarris candy while we were back home this past week

Wow, that's awesome!!
Will he eat it, or set it on a shelf?

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well reading back I see you guys are just as thrilled as I am,,,,we need to make some changes coaching was poor and Ben played in 3 games he should not have,we have been dealing with injuries all season,nothing new there,I think some heads will roll,as for the Denver game they worried so much about Tebow running they didn't defend against the pass!,,,,,,,pffffffft,next year

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, time to start thinking about next season

cut/no resign:
Hampton
Smith
Ward
Moore
Sepulveda
Gay
C Batch or Dixon
Farrior
Foote (maybe depending on draft)

keep/resign if needed
Cotchery
Leftwich (shudder)
Hoke
Mundy (shudder)
Lewis
Legursky (not that bad if he isn't playing Center)
Starks (shudder)
extend (immediately, this is the future of the Offensive side of team!)
Wallace
Sanders
Brown
Redman

Roster look something like

LT, LG, C, RG, RT
starters: Starks, Kemo, Pouncey, *, Gilbert
* is competition spot including draftees
backups: ? (free agency? draft)

TE
Miller, Johnson

RB
Mendenhall, Redman, Clay, Dwyer (Batch?)

WR
Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery
backups: ?

DL (rotation)
Keisel, Hoke, Hood, Heyward, McClendon
(reserves: FA? draftees?)

LBs
Harrison Timmons, Foote(subject to replacement with 1st round pick of Hightower/Burfict), Woodley
reserves: Sylvester, Worilds, ??

DBs
Taylor, Clark, Polamalu, FA/Draftee and other CB?
Nickel:(Lewis/Butler)

K: Suisham
P: Kapinos

KR/PR Brown (please draft Jeff Demps in 4th or 5th to play here and provide the "Sproles back" effect)

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
very tough to evaluate what they should do with 1st round pick

based on current pre-combine evaluations, the pick at 24 is very DL/CB heavy (aka talent falling lower than value) there are two great ILBs that should be there. The biggest need is really G/T or CB but teams might be overreaching to take someone at that pick on OL based on the talent on the board. And taking a CB even a good one in the 1st I'm not so sure they could start in this complex defense (which for that paycheck, they need to) . I think they almost have to go ILB and cut Farrior.

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
swallow pride and accept that as long as Goodell is in charge "Steeler Football" is a thing of the past (if you want to win).

Fire Arians. Bring in an NCAA spread offense coach and adapt to what the league REWARDS teams to do (rule wise)

Install Field Turf
Exploit lack of OL (for now) by playing out of shotgun and burning teams with
Sanders/Wallce/Brown/Miller/ wr/rb spread sets. Ben will almsot never even be touched with these sets.

Keep Lebeau for now, but bring in a prominent NCAA 4-2-5 D to learn and eventually replace him. Per above, start designing Defense to adapt to play against Zone blocking OLs and the spread. The Zone Blitz just can't work much longer against the spread with modern blocking schemes and DPI/contact rules-- it doesn't get there fast enough.

Start drafting to move to a zone blocking OL. If you do this well you can keep identifying and paying RBs from the late round/undrafted--- or practically not even pay for a dedicated RB at all (a hybrid Sproles type.)
This gives you far more $ under the cap to bandaid spots of need where occasionally you lose a guy in FA and need a year or two to redraft and replace him.

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who would you rather see the Steelers go with #1 pick between these 2

vs

I think I'd go burfict. I see him making more impact plays while being obviously a little less steady overall possibly . You can possibly put either him or Timmons on either side. I like that. I think Hightower sticks you to alignments on strongside.

Depending how the late 1st round goes, I might almost even trade some future picks to move up in the 2nd. there will be a glut of OL and NT talent there

Last edited by a moderator:

GetRiot

Warn the others...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being from Tucson, I hate Burfict, but he is a good player and more explosive than Hightower. And since it is in the NFL and not college circuit, his school doesnt bother me. I didnt like troy when I was growin up either cuz he was a PAC10 rival lol. I would take Burfict over Hightower.

That being said, I agree with misko's response to your ridiculous proposal above, loc, that is just not steeler football. Also, I dont agree with some of the players you would cut/keep

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being from Tucson, I hate Burfict, but he is a good player and more explosive than Hightower. And since it is in the NFL and not college circuit, his school doesnt bother me. I didnt like troy when I was growin up either cuz he was a PAC10 rival lol. I would take Burfict over Hightower.

That being said, I agree with misko's response to your ridiculous proposal above, loc, that is just not steeler football. Also, I dont agree with some of the players you would cut/keep

I agree it's not Steeler football and I'm not happy about that, but I also don't like losing.

I appreciate your comments (honest) about Burfict, and I'd be happy to hear you explain any disagreements you have about cut/keep.

Also, if you can tell me how you can build a low-scoring D under the new NFL rules, I'm happy to listen. :) Maybe I'm too negative, but I think even if we disagree on that point, you have to admit the majority of young talent on this team is currently skill players on Offense.

:tea:

Status
Not open for further replies.