• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official Lets Root For Andy Dalton Thread

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it looks like Andy Dalton is going to be a starting QB again..... And he's on a team with a good chance for the playoffs. That should make gamblers happy - The chance to bet against Andy in the playoffs. Some added intrigue here is that Andy now plays for a team that basically never plays in the early (non-televised) spot in which he thrives. Lots of primetime and 4:00 spots to do Andy things.

But in all honesty, I'm rooting for the guy. There haven't been many athletes in Cincinnati that I can say had more class than Andy Dalton. That guy came to work every day for 9 seasons and never mentioned the smell of crap coming from the owner's office. Never criticized Marvin and his staff.... Even as Marvin stopped caring. He raised a bunch of money for charity and led some memorable Bengals teams. We should root for him!

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would be good to shake off the "Bengalized" mystique.

Here he has a shot to be born again as a quarterback, in a system that cares about winning, having an offensive line, defensive players who pull their own weight, etc.

so, he better not pull a John Kitna and lay an egg when his big chance to be a hero comes.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and some of those prime time losses could be chocked up to playing against superior defensive talent.

The Cowboys could be on primetime even if they have a relatively easy game.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On offense, he'll be surrounded by talent that would rival the 2015 squad here when he was putting up career numbers.

The interesting thing is going to be how he responds to the defense giving up a ton of points, because Dallas' defense isn't quite Bengals bad....but it's pretty bad.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its kind of a perfect situation for him to be in and a perfect situation for the Cowboys to have ended up in. Andy is definitely capable of getting them to the playoffs.

Did any of you guys see/hear Tony Romo's "hope its just a cramp" line and the camera showed Dak's foot going the other way? It was priceless.

It's also kinda crazy how Dak is basically going to get to name his price in the offseason and he'll get it because everyone feels bad for him for getting injured.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its kind of a perfect situation for him to be in and a perfect situation for the Cowboys to have ended up in. Andy is definitely capable of getting them to the playoffs.

Did any of you guys see/hear Tony Romo's "hope its just a cramp" line and the camera showed Dak's foot going the other way? It was priceless.

It's also kinda crazy how Dak is basically going to get to name his price in the offseason and he'll get it because everyone feels bad for him for getting injured.
I don't see Dak getting a blank check because someone feels bad. If he does, that person should be fired. Especially considering there is a possibility that he doesn't return next year, either - depending on rehab and such. He'd be lucky to return sometime next year - at the earliest. I'd be shocked if he returned before that.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On offense, he'll be surrounded by talent that would rival the 2015 squad here when he was putting up career numbers.

The interesting thing is going to be how he responds to the defense giving up a ton of points, because Dallas' defense isn't quite Bengals bad....but it's pretty bad.
My understanding is that there are some issues with injuries on the offensive line. He's not looking at the 2020 Bengals offensive line problems, but probably not as good as he had it in 2015.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The signing certainly worked in the Cowboys favor. They had one of the most accomplished back-ups in the league and weren't paying him a lot.... Dalton probably liked the situation because if he was going to be a back-up, at least he got to go "home" to do it.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding is that there are some issues with injuries on the offensive line. He's not looking at the 2020 Bengals offensive line problems, but probably not as good as he had it in 2015.
Don't forget, he also has more competent coaching now, although I think McCarthy is one of the more overrated coached of the past 10 or so years, he is still an upgrade from Lewis and Taylor.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll be rooting for Dalton. I have no ill will towards the guy. He was a good QB who worked hard and tried his best to lead while he was here. Despite the Bengals organization and their warts. He easily could’ve taken the Palmer route and bitched his way outta town.

I’m curious to see how he does in Dallas as the starter. He’s got maybe the best set of skill players in the league. And a coach in Mike McCarthy who loves to throw the football. The Cowboys have their issues though. The O-Line isn’t what everyone thinks it is. Both Pro Bowl tackles are done for the season, replaced by two UDFA. As well as a rookie playing center. The defense has been awful. But should improve with some starters returning from injury.

The opportunity for redemption will be there for Andy. Especially if he can lead a marquee franchise to the playoffs after a bad start and injury to their star QB1. The division is terrible so 7-9 wins is likely all they’ll need.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll be rooting for Dalton. I have no ill will towards the guy. He was a good QB who worked hard and tried his best to lead while he was here. Despite the Bengals organization and their warts. He easily could’ve taken the Palmer route and bitched his way outta town.

I’m curious to see how he does in Dallas as the starter. He’s got maybe the best set of skill players in the league. And a coach in Mike McCarthy who loves to throw the football. The Cowboys have their issues though. The O-Line isn’t what everyone thinks it is. Both Pro Bowl tackles are done for the season, replaced by two UDFA. As well as a rookie playing center. The defense has been awful. But should improve with some starters returning from injury.

The opportunity for redemption will be there for Andy. Especially if he can lead a marquee franchise to the playoffs after a bad start and injury to their star QB1. The division is terrible so 7-9 wins is likely all they’ll need.
I was looking at the schedules of the Cowboys and the Eagles.... I figure those are the only two teams with a chance to make any sort of run of mediocrity to wing that awful division. The Eagles still have to play the Ravens, Browns, Saints, Cardinals, Packers and Seahawks. Brutal.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he should make the playoffs, but depending on who they play first on whether he gets win #1 in playoffs.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta do better than that Andy.

if you wanna be called Cayenne Peppa again.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man - the Cowboys are an exact mirror image of the Bengals in so much that they can't pass block to save their (or their QB's) lives - and the defense is putrid.

I don't know whether the matchup down the road will result in 20+ combined sacks, or 50+ points scored by each team....or both....that matchup is going to be maddening to watch for some...LOL

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man - the Cowboys are an exact mirror image of the Bengals in so much that they can't pass block to save their (or their QB's) lives - and the defense is putrid.

I don't know whether the matchup down the road will result in 20+ combined sacks, or 50+ points scored by each team....or both....that matchup is going to be maddening to watch for some...LOL
At least the Cowboys can blame injuries! But yes, I watched a little the other night. It was one of those spots that was going to be terrible for Andy - Two fumbles early led to them playing from behind. That's not gonna work with Dalton. If they could crank up the running game and get a lead, I think Dalton would be very effective with those skill players. But, to your point, I could say the same thing about Burrow right now.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least the Cowboys can blame injuries! But yes, I watched a little the other night. It was one of those spots that was going to be terrible for Andy - Two fumbles early led to them playing from behind. That's not gonna work with Dalton. If they could crank up the running game and get a lead, I think Dalton would be very effective with those skill players. But, to your point, I could say the same thing about Burrow right now.
Here is the one big take-away I have from Burrow compared to Dalton - with this OL, Dalton would STRUGGLE to keep games within reach. Burrow almost seems to THRIVE on these pressure situations. Not saying he wouldn't love a clean pocket, of course, but there is a difference between Dalton's ability when down and things are not going well compared to Burrow. Burrow just exudes that "it" that he can will the team back into the game. That's no knock on Dalton who was a very good QB for the Bengals, Burrow just looks to be on another level mentally than Dalton with this regard.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burrow is certainly more fun to watch. it's like watching the 2015 version of AJ McCarron, only with skills to go with it.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burrow is certainly more fun to watch. it's like watching the 2015 version of AJ McCarron, only with skills to go with it.
Burrow gives you that thought that despite how bad things are, he's good enough that he might pull a game out. Imagine what he can do with a competent defense and OL blocking?

It's been a long time since Palmer was in his prime, but he had the same thing. You knew you always had a chance to win with him on the field in those mid-2000's games.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to keep my enthusiasm in check, but early returns suggest that Burrow just has a much better overall game than Dalton. His poise, accuracy, and arm all show in tough situations. I'm not saying he has a cannon, but he can make the throws he needs to make. He's also head and shoulders better than Palmer was in his first year. Palmer was dynamite in his second year as a starter (2005), but he had a lot of shaky moments in that 2004 season. It's also worth noting that 2005 Carson Palmer had a stacked offense.... A ridiculously stacked offensive line with Levi Jones within his prime (short-lived prime but really good while it lasted), all-pro level Willie Anderson, two top 20 guards, and a vet center.... Not to mention the skill positions. It's actually hard to figure how any competent qb wouldn't do good with that cast.