• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official Cincinnati Bengals Superbowl Thread

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On that 3rd down and 1 or 2 I would have had Chase in motion and handed off to him on the fly and see if he couldn't make a guy miss for a single yard. Chase at full speed and one yard to go, I like his chances. Perine at the heart of the defense on 3rd, and then a pass play on 4th and short make it fn tough and I like that a lot less. Have to be perfect and hope no one drops it like Boyd did on the pass play.
This is the correct take..... This is exactly why the Rams ran that play on 4th and 1 in their own territory with the game on the line. Give the ball to your best playmaker and pick up the first down.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Taylor had a good season, so I don't want to pile on him right now..... But, I do think he would like some of his playcalls back. Two of the biggest moments of the biggest game of the year went to Perine. Nothing against the guy, but he's not your superstar. You ride with your superstars in big games.

Nobody will talk about it, but Lou Anarumo had a phenomenal postseason. The Rams offense was flustered in the second half.... Much like the Chiefs were. It took a few amazing plays by Cupp and the Bengals were still a flimsy call away from a 4th and 8 with the game on the line - I would have liked our chances there.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't - but when the game is on the line, you are going to your best guys, not backups.

You can get away with that stuff in week 1 and week 5 and even week 15. Not in the Super Bowl.
Ehh. I say you go with what got you there.

If it was Perine all season in that spot, then putting Mixon in there, who probably doesn't practice those plays, doesn't give you that much of a better chance just because he's Mixon.

In real time, I didn't really think twice that it was Perine, I was more annoyed at the line.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehh. I say you go with what got you there.

If it was Perine all season in that spot, then putting Mixon in there, who probably doesn't practice those plays, doesn't give you that much of a better chance just because he's Mixon.

In real time, I didn't really think twice that it was Perine, I was more annoyed at the line.
I understand what you are saying, but this isn't some special play. It's a handoff for 1 yard. You go with your studs, IMO. Regardless, the real issue isn't a RB that can't get a yard, it's an OL that can't get their RB a yard, and an OL that couldn't give Burrow 1 more second to see Chase was WIDE OPEN for the winning TD on 4th and 1.

The big reason, the biggest frustration, I have with this is that this team has kicked the can on the OL down the road for years, even before Burrow. It likely cost them a Super Bowl. I understand this team is young, but as we should all be aware, chances like these are so rare, you have to be ready when you peak at the right time. It just really grates me that this organization though for 3-4-5 years that Cedric, Fischer, Spain, Hopkins, Adeniji were viable options. Even Sua' when he was in there wasn't markedly better, though better would have been nice.

Let's hope those in charge can change the past 30 years of their off-season approach to paying high priced OL in F/A.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I thought Taylor had a good season, so I don't want to pile on him right now..... But, I do think he would like some of his playcalls back. Two of the biggest moments of the biggest game of the year went to Perine. Nothing against the guy, but he's not your superstar. You ride with your superstars in big games.

Nobody will talk about it, but Lou Anarumo had a phenomenal postseason. The Rams offense was flustered in the second half.... Much like the Chiefs were. It took a few amazing plays by Cupp and the Bengals were still a flimsy call away from a 4th and 8 with the game on the line - I would have liked our chances there.

Both 4th down calls were pass plays so I thought in the big spots they put the ball in Burrow's hands which is ideal. They were in no huddle, last minute of the game mode on the final drive. It's going to be basic play calls. I don't fault the playcalling there. This OL vs that DL was an epic mismatch

Lou Anarumo had a great post season. In one year he went from a guy on the verge of losing his job to getting HC interviews.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both 4th down calls were pass plays so I thought in the big spots they put the ball in Burrow's hands which is ideal. They were in no huddle, last minute of the game mode on the final drive. It's going to be basic play calls. I don't fault the playcalling there. This OL vs that DL was an epic mismatch

Lou Anarumo had a great post season. In one year he went from a guy on the verge of losing his job to getting HC interviews.
And the killer thing is - if Hopkins just doubles down on Donald with Spain - Burrow has that extra second to hit Chase, who was running wide open after Ramsey fell down.

Instead, Hopkins looked and and blocked.....no one. It would have been one thing if they had showed blitz. They didn't. It would have been another thing if they had brought another defensive guy over him. They didn't. They showed 4, rushed 4, and Hopkins' best thought was to look around for someone to block and find no one rather than maybe taking a look towards the best DT in the NFL.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's funny to think, but if the refs don't flag Wilson late and the Rams can't punch it in on 4th and goal, Lou is the talk of the NFL this week. He'd be the guy that shut down Henry, Mahomes, and McVeigh's superstar offense all within a month.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's funny to think, but if the refs don't flag Wilson late and the Rams can't punch it in on 4th and goal, Lou is the talk of the NFL this week. He'd be the guy that shut down Henry, Mahomes, and McVeigh's superstar offense all within a month.

I was on the "if Zimmer gets fired, make him DC and next in line as HC if things don't improve" train 13 months ago, so nothing shocked me as much as our defensive improvements this season.
It was a great year for the Brown System and arguments in favor of continuity.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And the killer thing is - if Hopkins just doubles down on Donald with Spain - Burrow has that extra second to hit Chase, who was running wide open after Ramsey fell down.

Instead, Hopkins looked and and blocked.....no one. It would have been one thing if they had showed blitz. They didn't. It would have been another thing if they had brought another defensive guy over him. They didn't. They showed 4, rushed 4, and Hopkins' best thought was to look around for someone to block and find no one rather than maybe taking a look towards the best DT in the NFL.

We have plenty of cap space and an obvious SB caliber roster. I haven't looked at the FA group this year but they can afford to overpay for a good lineman or two this off-season.

I was in favor of it at the time as a Belicheck/Walsh let a player go a year too early rather than a year too late move but letting Whitworth leave in FA is probably the worst personnel descion made by our front office in decades. He's obviously not in his prime but he could have been a solid player, stabilizing force and leader for the OL this year. He deserves strong HOF consideration and should have been a lifetime Bengal.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have plenty of cap space and an obvious SB caliber roster. I haven't looked at the FA group this year but they can afford to overpay for a good lineman or two this off-season.

I was in favor of it at the time as a Belicheck/Walsh let a player go a year too early rather than a year too late move but letting Whitworth leave in FA is probably the worst personnel descion made by our front office in decades. He's obviously not in his prime but he could have been a solid player, stabilizing force and leader for the OL this year. He deserves strong HOF consideration and should have been a lifetime Bengal.
Nobody in the world, not even Whit himself, thought that, at 35 at the time, was going play at an All-Pro level for the next 4-5 years.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know that he's now a super bowl winning coach so I'm not allowed to say this, but I'm really starting to think that McVay is not as great a coach as the media makes him out to be. He's a young, good looking charismatic guy with a big personality, but his coaching leaves me scratching my head a lot.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what you are saying, but this isn't some special play. It's a handoff for 1 yard. You go with your studs, IMO. Regardless, the real issue isn't a RB that can't get a yard, it's an OL that can't get their RB a yard, and an OL that couldn't give Burrow 1 more second to see Chase was WIDE OPEN for the winning TD on 4th and 1.

The big reason, the biggest frustration, I have with this is that this team has kicked the can on the OL down the road for years, even before Burrow. It likely cost them a Super Bowl. I understand this team is young, but as we should all be aware, chances like these are so rare, you have to be ready when you peak at the right time. It just really grates me that this organization though for 3-4-5 years that Cedric, Fischer, Spain, Hopkins, Adeniji were viable options. Even Sua' when he was in there wasn't markedly better, though better would have been nice.

Let's hope those in charge can change the past 30 years of their off-season approach to paying high priced OL in F/A.
How did they know they were going to make the Superbowl this year? And that it would be lost because of the lack off offensive line that they pieced together in the offseason? Was it a good outlook to begin with? No. But they couldn't have known it was going to be that bad, and that it would cost them that much.

Now they know, and they are solid pretty much everywhere else.

Cut Hopkins, let Reiff walk and maybe even Bates. That is at least $27.5 million saved, if you consider what Bates could be making with this contract.

Hopkins is getting what, about $7.5 million, Reiff $10 million and Bates would make at least $10 at the minumum, probably closer to $12-$15 million.

Make Von Bell the secondary Captain. Find a good not great safety in FA for about $5 million, and sign two quality FA OL. Use #1 draft pick on oline. That doesn't even cost us much more. Darn near a wash.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What made it worse, IMO, is that they watched Ced and Fischer for 2/3 years - and still thought they were good enough. That is a serious miscalculation on Lewis/staff or management ignoring the obvious to "justify" their draft positions. Either way, they did not do what needed to be done.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did they know they were going to make the Superbowl this year? And that it would be lost because of the lack off offensive line that they pieced together in the offseason? Was it a good outlook to begin with? No. But they couldn't have known it was going to be that bad, and that it would cost them that much.

Now they know, and they are solid pretty much everywhere else.

Cut Hopkins, let Reiff walk and maybe even Bates. That is at least $27.5 million saved, if you consider what Bates could be making with this contract.

Hopkins is getting what, about $7.5 million, Reiff $10 million and Bates would make at least $10 at the minumum, probably closer to $12-$15 million.

Make Von Bell the secondary Captain. Find a good not great safety in FA for about $5 million, and sign two quality FA OL. Use #1 draft pick on oline. That doesn't even cost us much more. Darn near a wash.
You never know when you are going to make it - which is why you need to be ready each year. It's not like they were "a piece" away - right - they knew that no less than 2 or 3 of the OL needed to be replaced. This goes back before Burrow was here. Then Joe got his knee snapped. And yet they went into the season with enough cap space to at least significantly upgrade 1 position on the OL. Even if they wanted to make it a multi-year process so that by '22/23 they were 100% ready to really compete - why not get at least 1 guy, and then stack that with another guy this off-season, and maybe another draft pick - and now you've got 3 or 4 potential starters that are better than what they ran out this year, plus allowed them some depth with the draft.

Waynes' and Hopkins need to be cuts. Bates can be signed, and dont' forget - the cap is also going to explode again in another 2 years. Bengals are in prime, PRIME position to pay some guys. I think you'll see an Allen type extension after year 3 with Burrow - just because it will make too much sense. The cap is going to go up, and up, and up.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been down on Jesse Bates all season. Didn't think he was worth the money. But he and Reader were our two best defensive players in the postseason and we're not in the Super Bowl without Bates. I think his presence in the back-end is what allowed Lou to scheme the way he did. My strategy would be to tag him with the hopes of finding some sort of long-term solution that didn't involve making him the highest paid safety in the league. If he follows up this past season with a full season of greatness, maybe we pay for the long-term deal.... If he doesn't maybe we have an opportunity to find another FS for half the price for the 2023 season.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is no way a defense of the play of the OL because its been awful, BUT, if Joe doesnt get his knee blown out, they don't end up drafting Chase.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is no way a defense of the play of the OL because its been awful, BUT, if Joe doesnt get his knee blown out, they don't end up drafting Chase.
Good point. Anyone that continues the dialogue of how much better we would have been with Sewell simply fails to acknowledge what Chase does to that offense. One of the best things about attending a game live was watching how concerned defenses are about his presence. He changes games that he doesn't even make many plays in.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You never know when you are going to make it - which is why you need to be ready each year. It's not like they were "a piece" away - right - they knew that no less than 2 or 3 of the OL needed to be replaced. This goes back before Burrow was here. Then Joe got his knee snapped. And yet they went into the season with enough cap space to at least significantly upgrade 1 position on the OL. Even if they wanted to make it a multi-year process so that by '22/23 they were 100% ready to really compete - why not get at least 1 guy, and then stack that with another guy this off-season, and maybe another draft pick - and now you've got 3 or 4 potential starters that are better than what they ran out this year, plus allowed them some depth with the draft.

Waynes' and Hopkins need to be cuts. Bates can be signed, and dont' forget - the cap is also going to explode again in another 2 years. Bengals are in prime, PRIME position to pay some guys. I think you'll see an Allen type extension after year 3 with Burrow - just because it will make too much sense. The cap is going to go up, and up, and up.
Forgot about Waynes. He definitely needs cut and that could save us Bates.

Regardless, the offensive line has to get help, and I don't think there is a single person in the front office as well as fan that didn't feel for Burrow and want to protect him. Hell, I wanted to get out there and start blocking for him. Anything I could do. So if I feel like that as a fan sitting on my couch, I have to think the front office, after seeing what Burrow is capable of in a full year, they don't want to see the silver lining in their team go away so soon.

I know you are pissed off because you were calling for oline all offseason, but they added Reiff, drafted 3 players for oline, had guys coming back from injury they thought they could rely on like Hopkins and Sua'Filo. Almost none of that panned out. Reiff until he got hurt.

Back to the drawing board with only one true glaring weakness on this team. Got to expect almost a KC or Charger type of overhaul to the oline this year. However, I don't expect they will spend as much as KC did on Thuney. That is just not going to happen. I can see 3 to 4 year deals for $10-$12 million a year, to one maybe 2 guys.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot about Waynes. He definitely needs cut and that could save us Bates.

Regardless, the offensive line has to get help, and I don't think there is a single person in the front office as well as fan that didn't feel for Burrow and want to protect him. Hell, I wanted to get out there and start blocking for him. Anything I could do. So if I feel like that as a fan sitting on my couch, I have to think the front office, after seeing what Burrow is capable of in a full year, they don't want to see the silver lining in their team go away so soon.

I know you are pissed off because you were calling for oline all offseason, but they added Reiff, drafted 3 players for oline, had guys coming back from injury they thought they could rely on like Hopkins and Sua'Filo. Almost none of that panned out. Reiff until he got hurt.

Back to the drawing board with only one true glaring weakness on this team. Got to expect almost a KC or Charger type of overhaul to the oline this year. However, I don't expect they will spend as much as KC did on Thuney. That is just not going to happen. I can see 3 to 4 year deals for $10-$12 million a year, to one maybe 2 guys.
Here's the thing, though, about Thuney's money (not just him, in general) so many teams do the "Funny money" thing with contracts. He's never going to see all of that money. The Bengals do more realistic contracts where the player is likely to realize most of their contract. In the end, they will earn more money in Cincinnati - but they need to check their "ego" about what the paper says - and now, at least, the Bengals have more to sell than just that - but a true young nucleus of players on offense that will win games. Imagine being Jenson of TB - he can go from blocking for Brady to blocking for Burrow (and Chase, Mixon, Higgins, Boyd) - you know he sees the potential in allowing his career to sustain on a winning team. If the Bengals offer anything close, I think F/A's are going to be more tempted than ever to sign.

Fly them in, send them to Ruby's, and have them meet with Burrow, Chase, and Mixon. Can't tell me that's not one hell of a pitch to F/A OL's.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing, though, about Thuney's money (not just him, in general) so many teams do the "Funny money" thing with contracts. He's never going to see all of that money. The Bengals do more realistic contracts where the player is likely to realize most of their contract. In the end, they will earn more money in Cincinnati - but they need to check their "ego" about what the paper says - and now, at least, the Bengals have more to sell than just that - but a true young nucleus of players on offense that will win games. Imagine being Jenson of TB - he can go from blocking for Brady to blocking for Burrow (and Chase, Mixon, Higgins, Boyd) - you know he sees the potential in allowing his career to sustain on a winning team. If the Bengals offer anything close, I think F/A's are going to be more tempted than ever to sign.

Fly them in, send them to Ruby's, and have them meet with Burrow, Chase, and Mixon. Can't tell me that's not one hell of a pitch to F/A OL's.
Agree 100%.