• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2019 Chicago White Sox Thread

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sanchez has been very good the the sox for the past 2 years and is a top utility player. you're ready to give him the ax after 7 games? really?? not to mention the promise of palka and giolito. and castillo? do you remember at all what sox catching has been like the past 10 years. 15 homer potential, a decent fielder and .260 hitter? all after 7 lousy games? thank god sox baseball people aren't so short-sighted.
Castillo is a placeholder for Zavala and Collins, and wildly overpriced considering his output to date during this contract. Sanchez is not a starter in my opinion and will probably end up being a utility player and is a placeholder for Madrigal. Giolito isn't that good in my opinion (6 ERA last year is the opposite of not too shabby). Palka can't field to save his life and is one-dimensional similar to Adam Dunn was. Anything else?

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sanchez has been very good the the sox for the past 2 years and is a top utility player. you're ready to give him the ax after 7 games? really?? not to mention the promise of palka and giolito. and castillo? do you remember at all what sox catching has been like the past 10 years. 15 homer potential, a decent fielder and .260 hitter? all after 7 lousy games? thank god sox baseball people aren't so short-sighted.
Forgot to mention how the Sox had Pierzynski, who in his last season with the Sox in 2012 won a Silver Slugger. So yes, I do remember what the Sox had catching-wise for a good portion of the last decade plus. Castillo practically wasted most of last season with his PED suspension too. Let's also not forget Narvaez, who is a fantastic offensive catcher.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Castillo is a placeholder for Zavala and Collins, and wildly overpriced considering his output to date during this contract. Sanchez is not a starter in my opinion and will probably end up being a utility player and is a placeholder for Madrigal. Giolito isn't that good in my opinion (6 ERA last year is the opposite of not too shabby). Palka can't field to save his life and is one-dimensional similar to Adam Dunn was. Anything else?
I've said before that if we have a roster that includes Leury Garcia, Adam Engle, and Yolmer Sanchez on the roster, but all as reserves, we'd be ok. Because that meant we had better players manning the respective positions these guys have been playing. None of these three are starting material and never will be, altho I love Leury's versatility.

Did I read earlier in this thread that Cordell got sent down? If so, I'm a bit surprised it was him and not Palka. I have bigger hopes for Danny in the big picture, but I think he needs to hang in the minors for a little while to get his groove back.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said before that if we have a roster that includes Leury Garcia, Adam Engle, and Yolmer Sanchez on the roster, but all as reserves, we'd be ok. Because that meant we had better players manning the respective positions these guys have been playing. None of these three are starting material and never will be, altho I love Leury's versatility.

Did I read earlier in this thread that Cordell got sent down? If so, I'm a bit surprised it was him and not Palka. I have bigger hopes for Danny in the big picture, but I think he needs to hang in the minors for a little while to get his groove back.
Exactly. Leury and Yolmer are fantastic utility players to plug in the lineup when rotating starters for rest or platoon scenarios. Neither of those guys would be starting on a perennial above .500 team.

I do believe you are correct with Cordell.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a good post, but I thought you felt the Sox people ARE short-sighted, due to bad ownership?

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Leury and Yolmer are fantastic utility players to plug in the lineup when rotating starters for rest or platoon scenarios. Neither of those guys would be starting on a perennial above .500 team.

interesting. you said

yet you said earlier that you'd never like to see sanchez in a sox uni again. aj? ok 7 years. don't act like you don't know what i'm talking about. palka? 5th in rookie of the year voting (led all rookies in hr's and 3rd in rbi's) and you're damned right i'd take a young adam dunn. only a fool wouldn't. giolito has a lot of promise and only an idiot would give up on him after 250 innings. he's 14-17 with a lousy team.
you don't give up on youth that easily. pretty sure you'd have said the same thing about moncada last year.
you're talking thru your ass.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting. you said

yet you said earlier that you'd never like to see sanchez in a sox uni again. aj? ok 7 years. don't act like you don't know what i'm talking about. palka? 5th in rookie of the year voting (led all rookies in hr's and 3rd in rbi's) and you're damned right i'd take a young adam dunn. only a fool wouldn't. giolito has a lot of promise and only an idiot would give up on him after 250 innings. he's 14-17 with a lousy team.
you don't give up on youth that easily. pretty sure you'd have said the same thing about moncada last year.
You seem upset.

You and everyone else here knows Sanchez is not going to be a starter with Madrigal coming up. Also, Palka is probably slated as a DH if anything long term.

You were the one Sox fan not booing Adam Dunn when he was on the team and struck out 3-4 times a game leaving men on base daily? Interesting.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting. you said

Considering Moncada was acquired in the Sale trade, I never said he should be “given up on”. I criticized his free swinging, which led to the most Ks in the league last year. I complimented him on the 2019 opening day roster thread. So let’s not throw stones from glass houses.

In terms of Giolito, this is his make or break year. With Cease and Kopech coming up/back, he’s the odd man out if he underperforms again. The team last year wasn’t responsible for his 6 ERA.

Last edited:

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem upset.

You and everyone else here knows Sanchez is not going to be a starter with Madrigal coming up. Also, Palka is probably slated as a DH if anything long term.

You were the one Sox fan not booing Adam Dunn when he was on the team and struck out 3-4 times a game leaving men on base daily? Interesting.

can you not comprehend anything? i SAID he was terrific UTILITY guy ... didn't i?
palka is 27 years old! when dunn was 27 he was cranking out 40 homers and 100 rbi's every year. it was only dunn's last couple years he was worthless. what i SAID was i'd take a young dunn. this isn't that hard.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering Moncada was acquired in the Sale trade, I never said he should be “given up on”. I criticized his free swinging, which led to the most Ks in the league last year. I complimented him on the 2019 opening day roster thread. So let’s not throw stones from glass houses.

In terms of Giolito, this is his make or break year. With Cease and Kopech coming up/back, he’s the odd man out if he underperforms again. The team last year wasn’t responsible for his 6 ERA.

moncada? uhhh bullshit! what does who he was acquired for have to do with anything? he was lousy ... like all the other guys you mentioned so i have to assume you felt the same about him last year as those others you mentioned.

giolito? last year was his first full year. i don't know how he'll turn out but he sure deserves a chance at keeping his uniform.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can you not comprehend anything? i SAID he was terrific UTILITY guy ... didn't i?
palka is 27 years old! when dunn was 27 he was cranking out 40 homers and 100 rbi's every year. it was only dunn's last couple years he was worthless. what i SAID was i'd take a young dunn. this isn't that hard.
lol

What is wrong with you?

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
moncada? uhhh bullshit! what does who he was acquired for have to do with anything? he was lousy ... like all the other guys you mentioned so i have to assume you felt the same about him last year as those others you mentioned.

giolito? last year was his first full year. i don't know how he'll turn out but he sure deserves a chance at keeping his uniform.
What does who he was acquired for have to do with anything? Bozo, the team traded the best pitcher in franchise history for Moncada, so that gets him a longer leash, same with Kopech. Giolito deserves a full season this year. Didn’t say he didn’t. My opinion about players I personally don’t want to see on the team next year based on performance to date shouldn’t trigger your goofy ass like it has. Take a midol.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does who he was acquired for have to do with anything? Bozo, the team traded the best pitcher in franchise history for Moncada, so that gets him a longer leash, same with Kopech. Giolito deserves a full season this year. Didn’t say he didn’t. My opinion about players I personally don’t want to see on the team next year based on performance to date shouldn’t trigger your goofy ass like it has. Take a midol.

a longer leash? really? so their play doesn't matter? if they suck then the next thing you look at is how long their leash is? i just assumed you understood when someone wasn't any good! so what you're saying is if it had been palka who had been acquired for sale ... he should stay and play? that's how you'd run an organization?

it's clear to me your original post on this matter was nothing more than impatience with developing players. 7 games and you already know who should stay and who should go. john garland would not have survived on your team. jamie moyer would not have survived on your team. randy johnson would not have survived on your team. jose bautista would not have survived on your team. etc, etc, etc.

you asked earlier if i was angry? actually, i'm more amused than anything. reactionary bullshit is something i was hoping wouldn't happen here since there's so few fans posting.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a longer leash? really? so their play doesn't matter? if they suck then the next thing you look at is how long their leash is? i just assumed you understood when someone wasn't any good! so what you're saying is if it had been palka who had been acquired for sale ... he should stay and play? that's how you'd run an organization?

it's clear to me your original post on this matter was nothing more than impatience with developing players. 7 games and you already know who should stay and who should go. john garland would not have survived on your team. jamie moyer would not have survived on your team. randy johnson would not have survived on your team. jose bautista would not have survived on your team. etc, etc, etc.

you asked earlier if i was angry? actually, i'm more amused than anything. reactionary bullshit is something i was hoping wouldn't happen here since there's so few fans posting.
Alright, enough goofy BS. My impatience with the franchise dates back farther than this season. Palka was not acquired for Sale, so let’s avoid hypotheticals. Moncada is performing well this year and was the top prospect in baseball. I personally am tired of players I consider fillers like Engel. Again, we can all opine. In my opinion, based on your posts prior to these, we seem to agree on many issues the tam is facing.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Sox game has pissed me off so much that I decided to do a little research. Since 2008 only 4 teams have not made the playoffs. The marlins, Mariners, Padres, and our Chicago White sox. In that same time period every other team in the AL central has been to the playoffs at least twice. During that decade the Sox have the same front office

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Sox game has pissed me off so much that I decided to do a little research. Since 2008 only 4 teams have not made the playoffs. The marlins, Mariners, Padres, and our Chicago White sox. In that same time period every other team in the AL central has been to the playoffs at least twice. During that decade the Sox have the same front office
A few years back I think Ken Williams requested to interview for the VP job with Toronto. If I recall correctly, Jerry decline his request. Jerry and blind loyalty go hand in hand regardless of outcome it seems. I think Hahn also requested to interview for the Cardinals GM job prior to them hiring Mozeliak. Also declined.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few years back I think Ken Williams requested to interview for the VP job with Toronto. If I recall correctly, Jerry decline his request. Jerry and blind loyalty go hand in hand regardless of outcome it seems. I think Hahn also requested to interview for the Cardinals GM job prior to them hiring Mozeliak. Also declined.
Correction to my post:

Hahn withdrew himself from consideration for the Cardinals GM job in 2007 after interviewing. Reinsdorf would not allow the Mariners to even interview Hahn in 2008 for their open GM position.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes drawing few fans is lucrative, especially when you have a ridiculously low payroll. I believe despite not owning the park, Sox keep all the proceeds from parking and concessions. Additionally, Sox pay little to no rent, especially if they draw fewer than a certain number of fans per year. The state of IL gets a super raw deal with the current lease.