• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2019 Chicago White Sox Thread

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to win games at least at a .500 clip before we start talking about signing a single player for 300 million dollars. For real. This isn't basketball or a quarterback in football proposition.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of you may recall that way back when the earliest rumors of the Sox going after Machado and/or Harper were taking place, I said it was a dog-n-pony show, that they wouldn't seriously pursue either player. I also said I was against signing either one for different reasons (Machado's attitude, Harper overrated), and that my real desire was to wait until next year, then go after Nolan Arenado big time, as I felt he was the best all around combination hitter/fielder in baseball, at least amongst those who would be eligible for free agency.

First off, I have to take back the dog-n-pony show accusation. I believe the Sox made a serious effort at signing Machado. Obviously, it wasn't enough, but at least they did actively pursue him, even including the very questionable moves at signing his bro-n-law and his BFF to the roster. I also have to confess that I had come around to having Machado on the team. I began to wonder that if we can't sign him, then what makes me think that Arenado will be signed next year? He will probably cost even more per year, altho he may not be able to fetch anything beyond an 8 year contract. But regardless, the Yanks have been rumored that Arenado was the one on their radar all along and will be going all out to sign him next year. Does anyone here seriously think we'll be able to compete against them? I don't.
Arenado being 3 yrs older than Bryce and manny make it a much bigger risk signing him , if he reaches free agency, imo.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to win games at least at a .500 clip before we start talking about signing a single player for 300 million dollars. For real. This isn't basketball or a quarterback in football proposition.
The Sox payroll is in the clear of any long term contracts. They have a payroll of 19 million for the 2020 season. It was the perfect time to sign a 26 yr old superstar. They will never say it but it was obvious that management completely fucked up the deal. You spend the entire offseason talking about a guy every time you get in front of a microphone and then act surprised when he signs for what everyone expected him to sign for when feee agency opened.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sox payroll is in the clear of any long term contracts. They have a payroll of 19 million for the 2020 season. It was the perfect time to sign a 26 yr old superstar. They will never say it but it was obvious that management completely fucked up the deal. You spend the entire offseason talking about a guy every time you get in front of a microphone and then act surprised when he signs for what everyone expected him to sign for when feee agency opened.
Hey now, they did sign big fish Ervin Santana! He has historically done well against the Sox, so that is what management looks for when signing players. Well, that and how inexpensive they are.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey now, they did sign big fish Ervin Santana! He has historically done well against the Sox, so that is what management looks for when signing players. Well, that and how inexpensive they are.

i'm hoping they do a lot more than this before the season starts. if not then all the crybabies are right and maybe it's time to re-evaluate who our favorite team is.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm hoping they do a lot more than this before the season starts. if not then all the crybabies are right and maybe it's time to re-evaluate who our favorite team is.
I would not be surprised if they did nothing more. I think they were too heavily-weighted going after one guy. In the meantime, the Twins have improved right underneath the Sox’ noses. Awful off season thus far.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arenado being 3 yrs older than Bryce and manny make it a much bigger risk signing him , if he reaches free agency, imo.
Well first off, Arenado is less than two years older than either Harper or Machado, so I'm not sure where the 3 year difference came from. Secondly, since he would be entering free agency in his age 29 season (whereas the Harpchados are entering their age 27 seasons, respectively) , it's why I suggested he would unlikely receive anything beyond an 8 year guaranteed contract, if that. Altho you can never tell when it comes to big money teams and their spending habits.

He's considered the best defensive 3b in the game, at least the best starting 3b that is. He brings an all around excellent offensive skill set. No doubt he posts better numbers in the friendly confines of Coors Field than away, yet his power numbers aren't as significantly higher in the splits as one might expect. Factor in that GR Park is rated by just about everyone in the known universe as being hitter friendly, I don't think we'd see much of a dropoff, if any, when it comes to power numbers.

Now add all this up to ask if our beloved White Sox have a good chance at signing him. Based on what just transpired with our chasing after Machado, my answer would be a resounding.....not a ghost's chance in Hell.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well first off, Arenado is less than two years older than either Harper or Machado, so I'm not sure where the 3 year difference came from. Secondly, since he would be entering free agency in his age 29 season (whereas the Harpchados are entering their age 27 seasons, respectively) , it's why I suggested he would unlikely receive anything beyond an 8 year guaranteed contract, if that. Altho you can never tell when it comes to big money teams and their spending habits.

He's considered the best defensive 3b in the game, at least the best starting 3b that is. He brings an all around excellent offensive skill set. No doubt he posts better numbers in the friendly confines of Coors Field than away, yet his power numbers aren't as significantly higher in the splits as one might expect. Factor in that GR Park is rated by just about everyone in the known universe as being hitter friendly, I don't think we'd see much of a dropoff, if any, when it comes to power numbers.

Now add all this up to ask if our beloved White Sox have a good chance at signing him. Based on what just transpired with our chasing after Machado, my answer would be a resounding.....not a ghost's chance in Hell.
Arenado had much more favorable splits in CO last year, which is understandable considering the elevated offensive numbers produced in that park compared to others around the league. I think should Anthony Rendon make FA and not be extended by the Nationals, he'd be a great addition and would come slightly cheaper than Arenado. Rendon was good at home last year and great on the road. Underrated top player.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arenado had much more favorable splits in CO last year, which is understandable considering the elevated offensive numbers produced in that park compared to others around the league. I think should Anthony Rendon make FA and not be extended by the Nationals, he'd be a great addition and would come slightly cheaper than Arenado. Rendon was good at home last year and great on the road. Underrated top player.
Definitely, and he will likely now be my personal offseason target wish for 2020. But just like Arenado, I don't expect the Sox, assuming they go after him, to offer anything beyond 8 years tops, preferably 6 or 7. And yes, he should come considerably cheaper, unless of course he posts some monster numbers for the Nats this year. Just have to wait and see.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely, and he will likely now be my personal offseason target wish for 2020. But just like Arenado, I don't expect the Sox, assuming they go after him, to offer anything beyond 8 years tops, preferably 6 or 7. And yes, he should come considerably cheaper, unless of course he posts some monster numbers for the Nats this year. Just have to wait and see.
I'm assuming Nats lock Rendon up with money that had been earmarked for a Harper reunion, which doesn't appear to be happening now. That being said, my guess is neither Arenado nor Rendon hit the open market.

But hey, Sox have Burger...or whatever.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming Nats lock Rendon up with money that had been earmarked for a Harper reunion, which doesn't appear to be happening now. That being said, my guess is neither Arenado nor Rendon hit the open market.

But hey, Sox have Burger...or whatever.
A couple of years ago, I probably wouldn't have bothered with speculation on acquiring a FA 3b because I was fairly high on Burger as a future 3b hopeful for the Good Guys. But two achilles injuries later, that hope has all but vanished. In fact, it's diminished to the point that 3b is #1 on my positional wish list for our top pick in the upcoming draft, assuming there is a 3b out there worthy of the #3 overall spot. Obviously the Sox should be shooting for the BPA, so if there is no 3b worthy of third pick, then it's a moot point.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of years ago, I probably wouldn't have bothered with speculation on acquiring a FA 3b because I was fairly high on Burger as a future 3b hopeful for the Good Guys. But two achilles injuries later, that hope has all but vanished. In fact, it's diminished to the point that 3b is #1 on my positional wish list for our top pick in the upcoming draft, assuming there is a 3b out there worthy of the #3 overall spot. Obviously the Sox should be shooting for the BPA, so if there is no 3b worthy of third pick, then it's a moot point.
Rockies just locked up Arenado with a $260MM extension. He gone.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rockies just locked up Arenado with a $260MM extension. He gone.
Holy shit, just read it. No wonder he said screw it with waiting to test the market. $32.5M per year extension for the next 8 years. There is no way in H-E-Double Hockey Sticks that the Sox would have come remotely close to offering that, even if he had waited it out. The Yankees might have, probably would have, but not our big spending ballclub.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moncada hitting .450 with an OPS of 1.422 thus far. Great start, albeit very early in the season. I have no doubt the Ks will start to pile up since he's a free swinger, but he certainly has tweaked something about his plate discipline.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moncada hitting .450 with an OPS of 1.422 thus far. Great start, albeit very early in the season. I have no doubt the Ks will start to pile up since he's a free swinger, but he certainly has tweaked something about his plate discipline.
Not sure I can attribute his early success to any one specific thing, but for whatever reasons, Moncada seems to look more comfortable at the plate. Maybe his swing is a bit more compact or his bat speed has increased a touch - not sure, but he sure does look more confident when swinging the bat. There's the old cliche that the game has slowed down for him, which actually may be applicable in his case.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2020 is the year. They are gonna sign a front line starter and stock the bullpen and definitely making at least a wild card.