• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its kind of interesting this year. I cannot remember a season where I felt like it is near impossible for the Lions to completely screw up the draft.

DE-Clowney
WR-Evans
WR-Watkins
CB-Dennard
CB-Gilbert
LB-Mack
LB-Barr

That is at least 7 players I would be happy to have on the Lions and its very hard to believe all of them will be off the board when we pick. Whoever they do take, I can see decent CB or good WRs and safeties available in the 2nd round as well. I think they will have to work pretty hard and find the perfect storm to screw this draft up.
Since Millen isnt in charge, I am not worried.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way Teddy B isn't the first QB taken.
Carr in the top 10 reeks of desperation but I don't disagree with you.
I find it a stretch that Lewan makes the top 9 and Mack doesn't
In your situation, taking Mack in a no-brainer for the Lions.
If Mack is gone, my preference would be (in order) trade down, CJ Mosely, Dix, Barr

It's about fit and finding Manuel a LT to they protect their investment. I would prefer Mack over Lewan as well. Oakland could take Watkins but since Crazy Al is no longer with us I will give them credit for taking the best guy available.

Carr is not top 10. But the Vikings are desperate and have shown they are willing to reach for a QB. My guess is they do take Carr as he will not make it to the second round. No hope to trade down they may miss on him then as well.

Browns worry me as they could go a different way and that would change everything as Oakland then goes Manziel. But the top 9 as of right now looks pretty set minus 1-2 guys.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is the "BPA" option? The Lions can still upgrade just about everything but QB and DT. I'd love it if one of the top 3 QBs fell to #10 and the Lions got to conduct an auction for the pick to the Titans, Dolphins, and Cardinals. For the Titans just their #2 but for the others this and next year's #1 picks plus a third or a player. There is no single position where the Lions must take the best available or the pick is wasted. That's for teams that are one position away from being true contenders.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the rookie wage scale the way it is now, it's not as big of a deal for a team like the Vikings to pick Carr. It doesn't cripple them financially. The only real issue would be time. Are teams more likely to take a flier and then cut bait early?

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bortles could easily slip to the Vikings at #9. Houston may very well take Clowney with the first pick.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish somebody did a study to see how athletes that skyrocket up the charts due to a strong combine correlates to the odds of success/bust.

Exactly. The combine is fool's gold.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bortles could easily slip to the Vikings at #9. Houston may very well take Clowney with the first pick.

I'd give up a second rounder to get Clowney. Dude is ridiculous.Him,Suh and Ansah.... Daaaamn

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like this gentelmen; This team is very thin at the position and its a must they get a really good player there for obvious reasons. With the 10th pick, the Lions are set up to get one of the top two guys at the position. There's even an outside chance to land Sammy due to the need of QBs and LTs early. An article on Mlive.com calls the Lion's pick a "hot spot" for a WR. It's true.

The Lions will continue to be linked to the WR throughout the process. My prediction is that Evans can only lose this opportunity by having terrible combine numbers and interviews. Lee is still someone to watch. One of these young guys makes more sense than getting someone out of FA for several reasons.

Looking at FA, there's not much to really like, as it is filled with questionable players with injury histories, bad attitudes or a few that will command big money. Lions wont have to dig too deep to pay a drafted WR. Lions will finally put an end to not having a legit #2.

As far as the second round, it should be some options but 11 or more are said to go in the first. I think the second round is a grest place for the Lions to start looking at defense. There should be CBs, LBs and solid DEs and OTs available.

Gawd, there will be plenty of number two wide receivers available in later rounds. Its a huge waste of a pick at number ten, defensive stud please. I still hope they sign ginn, he would be perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney and Aaron Donald

Now THAT is what you call freakish athletes.

Clowney ran an unofficial 4.47 and backed it up with a 4.48 in his 2nd. Donald, at 305 lbs ran a 4.65 and backed it up with a 4.66. That is just absurd to be that big and that fast.

Clowney also had a 38 inch vertical and a faster 10 yard split than Johnny Manziel.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only issue with drafting offense in the 1st round is -- We've ranked 5th, 3rd and 6th the last 3 years in total offense.

With WR being the deepest position in the draft -- you could get a 1st round talent at the position in the 2nd round. If Detroit can find a difference maker on defense with the 10th overall pick -- I would hope they do so. We saw 1st hand what a great defense can do to a great offense in the Super Bowl.

Personally -- the only WR I would draft at #10 is Watkins, unless Mike Evans blows everyone away with his 40 time, which I don't see happening.

Good response. They sucked last year due to turnovers and defense. Not offense. Stafford has to turn it around for them to have a shot next year and if he does they can find a number two receiver anywhere, they already have an elite offense that just needs to execute. The same cannot be said about their defense. Build the d and execute on offense.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look how these positions stack up when compared with depth, potential and overall talent.

Wide Recievers
Calvin Johnson
Kris Durham
Broyles
Ross (ufa)

Linebacker
DeAndre Levy
Stephen Tolluch
Palmer
Tahir Whitehead

Cornerback
Chris Houston
Darrius Slay
Bentley
Greenwood
Jonte Geen

That alone, should show everyone how bad our WR situation is. The Lions need an impact player at the position.

None of those positions have any depth, why would this change anyones mind, we know how bad all three positions are. The lions need a stud at LB and in the secondary before they waste their top pick on a WR.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitt athletic dept trying to say Donald's a better player than Suh. I just shake my head.

If you guys somehow miraculously traded up for Clowney, Detroit would have the sickest D-Line to even walk this planet.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying I would hate Evans but given the choice I would want Mack and look for a WR in the second but thats a fine point that may be moot if Mack goes 1-9.

Or even the third. Mayhews track record for drafting wide receivers is awful. I would prefer one in free agency. Kicker and WR in free agency, or draft a kicker late. Every other position via draft.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything I found put Donald at 285, not 305. I'd happily take him if there was any chance of falling to us, though.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My prediction of at least 1 lineman running faster than Mike Evans has come true.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am torn so I don't think it will matter too much to me.

We need LB the most but I don't see a prototypical 4-3 LB at number 10. Most of the top LBs are 3-4 OLBs. I would say WR next and my guess is that is what will happen, but CB would help as well if we get a guy that can be a shutdown player. Problem is that takes a couple of years at least to become that so the impact is not going to be felt this year. Still, Houston may not last past this year even with his dead money contract. If he blows chunks this year then eat the 2 mil next year and move on. 4 mil this year would be too much so he will be with us 1 more year at least.

I think safety is too easy to fill so I will say no to that at #10. Too many big experienced CBs have become good safeties later in their careers. It is not a difficult position to fill IMO.

Feb 21[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty set on a defensive pick at number ten. Anything else will be a huge mistake.

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As silly as this may sound, I am not very impressed. lol Am I impressed with a guy that size running that fast? Sure, but those speeds would not get me hyped to want a D-Lineman much more.

Think about in a 40 yard race, how little distance there would be between a player who runs 4.5 and 4.8. There really would be very little distance between them. Then you consider how rare it is they will run 40 yards down field. The only time it would make any real difference would be chasing down a QB and a half a second really wouldnt be much when chasing a scrambling player. On most sacks, this difference would be minimal.

I think power and quickness and agility is far more important for D-linemen.