• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tank or Hunt would work for me. So long as we still get my boy Phillip Thomas.

ShadowJ20

I'm Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm OK with the pick. True he is inexperienced but he's playing DE which I think wouldn't be too hard to learn. With OTs gone I would have taken Ansah as well.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow i like the pick...only reason i might of drafted miliner is because of the depth at DE.....but hell on the draft game i picked the lions to take both ansah and carradine.....id take that, then hope we can snag barret jones in the 3rd.....have no idea what our plans for OT are...reiff and fox? Hilliard? Maybe we snag one of the 2 decent OT's left in the 2nd. Menelik?

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Menelik watson or t armstead? They got many options in the 2nd. Te'o? Hunter? Hunt? Carradine?

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though I wanted Warmack, I can't bitch about the Lions finally addressing the position they've needed to address since they took Stafford.

The good news is, he went to BYU. There, you can have as many girlfriends as you want, but they have to be real.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though I wanted Warmack, I can't bitch about the Lions finally addressing the position they've needed to address since they took Stafford.

The position the Lions needed to address since drafting Stafford was DE?!?!

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me crazy, but I think we're going to hear about the Lions passing on Milliner for a long time from Grail.... :boom:

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I have been backing Watson for awhile on this board, but I don't think the Lions can take a project with both of the first 2 rounds. I would Like Jamar Taylor or Arthur Brown now I think

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me crazy, but I think we're going to hear about the Lions passing on Milliner for a long time

I think we are going to hear about alot of guys we passed on, unless Ansah steps in from Day 1 and starts at DE and puts up good numbers.

The last thing the Lions needed to do with a top 5 pick is take a player who isn't NFL ready. The one good thing about this -- If Ansah doesn't produce immediately, Mayhew and Schwartz can pretty much kiss their jobs goodbye. IMO, after passing on all the different players that could have stepped in and made Detroit better for years to come -- they took a huge risk on a player with only 8 or 9 career college starts. Mayhew and Schwartz don't have 2 or 3 years to "develop" a player like Ansah, so they better hope he is as quick a study as they have said.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot's of prospects to love at the top of the second round.

I know we just took a DE, but Margus Hunt or Tank Carradine would be just fine by me. Both have the potential to be elite DEs, and landing either would allow us to rotate Jason Jones at DE and DT, maximizing his potential.

At CB Darrius Slay, Jamar Taylor, Jonathan Banks and Robert Alford are all still available. Imo, all 4 would be day one starters for us.

Then at safety there's Jonathan Cyprien or Phillip Thomas perhaps.

Arthur Brown would be a great pick at OLB.

At guard there's Larry Warford, at tackle Terron Armstead and Menelik Watson are still there, and Brian Schwenke is a dark horse at center.

WR needs could be solved by taking Justin Hunter or maybe Keenan Allen (though I get a bad feeling about him). Zach Ertz at TE is another dark horse option.

Lots and lots of 1st round talent left right now. Some surprising picks like Kyle Long and Travis Frederick have pushed some great talent back to us. We're in great shape with that pick.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would Like Jamar Taylor or Arthur Brown now I think

i'd be happy with either of these players. i'd even be fine with someone like Larry Warford or Dallas Thomas for the OL.

i have a SICK feeling, we are going to hear the Lions draft Justin Hunter from Tennessee. Others I wouldn't be suprised to hear called for the Lions -- Keenan Allen or Terrence Williams.

maybe it is because I can't seem to get over the fact the Lions continually spend top picks on the WR position that is making feel like this, but I just think a WR is going to be what we take in round 2.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR wouldn't be my first choice, but if we go Justin Hunter I just can't be upset. A 6'4" WR with 4.4 speed opposite Calvin would really make us tough to stop.

Lots of other guys I'd rather have, though...

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any tackle you draft after round 1 would probably be a RT. The pick for me would be Cyprien or Hunter. Our recent draft picks at receiver have been of a different breed. Broyles is more suited to play the slot (as is burleson) and although titus was drafted to be a deep threat, he was only 5'10''. Hunter is 6'4'' and ran the same 40 time as titus. Cyprien could come in and play safety, having quin move into the nickel for some plays, which would really ease the pain for some of you guys. Hopefully Terron Armstead can fall to the 3rd, id take him there. Or David Amerson. If not, look for Jordan Mills from Louisiana Tech in round 4-5

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Four guards and a center in the 1st round, two in the top ten.

Guess those old-fashioned notions of never taking a guard in the 1st are officially toast now...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant wait to see everyones reaction next year when the secondary plays well and the D-line stops the run and yet the defense still gives up tons of points because they get gauged with 7 yeard dump off passes because our LBs stink.

But you guys go right on ahead believeing that the secondary is still the big problem. This is all assuming that Stafford does not get killed behind this new OLine.

ShadowJ20

I'm Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Reiff will be OK at LT. He did play OK in his first start against the Texans. Hillard did a job stepping in for Gosder at RT when Gos went down with a knee injury. Plus we still have Fox waiting in the wings. I'm concerned at RG.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant wait to see everyones reaction next year when the secondary plays well and the D-line stops the run and yet the defense still gives up tons of points because they get gauged with 7 yeard dump off passes because our LBs stink.

But you guys go right on ahead believeing that the secondary is still the big problem. This is all assuming that Stafford does not get killed behind this new OLine.

No doubt it's an issue. This team has been murdered by screens and dump-offs for years. They've been the bane of this defense's existence.

shoktart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

This is why I really want Arthur Brown. He's my top choice for tonight. He would solve that very problem you are referring to. Watching the Lions last year the biggest problem on defense wasn't coverage in the secondary, it was tackling in the middle of the field.

I like a lot of players available with our next pick. We could take a CB that could help our secondary. We could take a WR to solidify that position. We could take an OL player because our line needs help. All of those positions would be fine.

But no single player would help us more or make more of an immediate impact and be more of a difference maker than Arthur Brown!!!

We add both Ziggy & Brown and suddenly our entire defense would look better next season.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I may digress for just a moment...

One thing is clear, a team with such consistently good draft position over the last 5-7 years has no business with so many holes.