• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The official '12 NFL Draft Thread - Going Live at 8 EST

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
@SI_PeterKing:

Just talked to one team with a receiver need who liked first-round stunner AJ Jenkins over Michael Floyd.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Rams' auction at No. 33
10:55AM ET
St. Louis Rams

With the No. 33 overall pick, the St. Louis Rams may very well address their glaring need at WR, a need that went unfilled after they traded back from No. 6 overall to No. 14 and selected LSU DT Michael Brockers. Georgia Tech's Stephen Hill, LSU's Rueben Randle and Rutgers' Mohamed Sanu would seem to be in the mix if that's the case. But there's also a chance they could auction the pick off the highest bidder, adding to their already impressive stockpile of picks in this draft and future drafts.

Mel Kiper, Jr. has published his list of the Top 10 best players available as the draft's second day begins, and Alabama OLB Courtney Upshaw is atop the group. There are some teams near the top of the board in Round 2 that could use the upgrade -- even the Colts at No. 34 and Ravens at No. 35 are possibilities. Upshaw is not the only object of desire still remaining, obviously, and Mel's next choice, Georgia OG Cordy Glenn, is a hot commodity as well.

We had our first trade of Thursday night about an hour before the festivities began, and a similar situation could play out as Round 2 gets underway tonight.

- Tim Kavanagh​

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be funny if it wasn't so painfully sad. I really really really feel bad for the Dolphins and the clowns they have running the show.

Ryan Tannehill - QB - Dolphins

Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland believes Ryan Tannehill's talent level compares favorably with Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III.
"If had we eight to 10 more games of film to watch Ryan Tannehill play that position, I think we're looking at him in the same breath as Griffin and maybe Luck," Ireland said. "I think he's got that kind of ability and arm talent." Although Ireland also suggested the Dolphins had been targeting Tannehill since the beginning of the offseason, he refuses to predict when the rookie will be ready to take over as the starter.
Source: Palm Beach Post
Apr 27 - 11:59 AM

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce Irvin - DL - Seahawks

Per CBS Sports' Rob Rang, the 49ers, Jets, and Ravens all would have taken Bruce Irvin in the first round had he made it to their pick.
Those are some pretty good-drafting teams. Profootballtalk.com reported late Thursday that as many as seven teams had Irvin as a top-15 overall player on their draft boards. The Irvin pick has been panned as a reach, and ESPN's Mel Kiper called it "mind boggling" after Seattle executed the selection. Kiper has never worked in the league, though, and the NFL vehemently disagrees.
Related: Jets, Ravens, 49ers
Source: Rob Rang on Twitter
Apr 27 - 11:50 AM

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be funny if it wasn't so painfully sad. I really really really feel bad for the Dolphins and the clowns they have running the show.

Dude, you are completely wrong.

It's still funny.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping Ginn doesn't make the roster at this point. He's a very good return man, but he's not truly special IMO. And I still like Kyle Williams as a receiver - hell, even as a returner if he can get his head out of his ass in terms of dumb decisions. Ginn is just way too one-dimensional for a team this deep.

I'm not sure I agree here. Ginn is one of the better return men in the league IMO. Kyle Williams just isn't trust worthy IMO and didn't do enough as a receiver to make me want him to stay around. Plus with us drafting Jenkins, this could mean bad news for Williams.

I agree with Dodub on this. Given the choice between Williams and Ginn, at this point in time and based on last years performance, I think Ginn is the better choice. I wouldn't say he is the clear better choice but Ginn has the edge at this point.

As for the one dimensional comment - I don't get that at all. Ginn was productive in the passing game, running game and BOTH as a KR & PR - That is hardly one-dimensional. Perhaps you are citing his lack of offensive production as testimony to his being one-dimensional.

If that is the case, then it is worth noting that last year there were ~15 other players whom returned both punts and kicks as well as contributed on offense. Among those other 15, here is how Ginn ranked in the following categories:

Ttl Off Att's------------------t5th (27)
Ttl Off Yds--------------------7th (288)
Off Yds/Off Att----------------5th (10.67)
Ttl Off 1st Dns---------------t4th (15)
% of Off 1st Dns/Off Att------t4th (55.56%)
Ttl Off TD's------------------t8th (0)

In addition to these #'s Ginn was one of our most effective WR's on 3rd down as well. He was targeted 9 times, (10 if you want to include a batted ball) of those 9 targets, 7 passes were catchable, 6 were caught and all 6 were converted into 1st dns. (Avg distance 9.7 yds)

He actually caught all 7 passes for first downs but the one that didn't count was the very low pass on the sideline that he caught but was unable to secure before his knee hit the ground out of bounds vs. Dal. As for his 4th down targets, there was one and I'm sure we all remember the outcome.

The point of sharing this information isn't to draw the conclusion that Ginn is better than Williams or even that he is better than he is. But to at least provide some contrast and comparison to others in the league who were functioning in a similar role.

And finally from the "for whatever its worth" department, if Ginn doesn't lose his 70+ yard TD vs. Baltimore and all else remains the same Ginns offensive production in the above categories is in the top 4-5 and his overall ranking jumps by two ranking points.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Browns GM Tom Heckert told ESPN's Bob Holtzman that Weeden was the 13th ranked player on their board.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is a TON of info inside the link. Who knows if all of it is true, but it's interesting.

Rams get their man Michael Brockers – after their first two choices were drafted - Yahoo! Sports

After Cleveland took Richardson off the board, the Vikings followed by selecting Kalil, and there were fist pumps in the war room. The Rams had no interest in Kalil and were now one pick away from landing Blackmon, who'd immediately have become the most potent weapon for third-year quarterback Sam Bradford.

----

The Bucs, Fisher and Snead believed, weren't likely to select Blackmon. When the Rams' IT director, Bill Consoli, announced that the Jags had traded up for the fifth pick (information that was revealed in the war room minutes before television viewers received the news, as Consoli was communicating with counterparts from the league's 31 other franchises), Fisher slammed his eyeglasses onto the table and uttered a one-syllable expletive.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
La Canfora:

CB Janoris Jenkins is very hot right now. Several teams looking to trade up for him, which could lead to team like BAL dropping down again

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
wow that is just cruel

I disagree! It was hilarious. C'mon now...he knew damn well he's not a 1st round talent. It wasn't a malicious act - just a bruise feeling, that's all!

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mort is reporting that Mike Adams has offered teams to defer any signing bonus he would receive for the first 1 1/2 years of his contract to show that he's invested in the NFL after testing positive for marijuana.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ten best available on Day 2
Courtney Upshaw, Cordy Glenn should come off the board quickly
Originally Published: April 27, 2012
By Mel Kiper Jr. | ESPN Insider

Here is a look at the 10 best available players on Mel Kiper's board after the first day of the 2012 NFL draft.

1. LB Courtney Upshaw, Alabama

A high-effort player, Upshaw could be a 4-3 defensive end or a 3-4 outside linebacker. A bit of a tweener, he has great strength and productivity.

2. G Cordy Glenn, Georgia

A versatile player, Glenn is durable and athletic. He has good footwork and can hold up against the rush.

3. LB Lavonte David, Nebraska

Undersized for a linebacker, David simply makes plays on the football field. He has the speed to play from sideline to sideline.

4. TE Coby Fleener, Stanford

The No. 1 tight end in the draft is still out there. Fleener is fast enough to stretch the deep middle and has sure hands.

5. C Peter Konz, Wisconsin

The top center in this draft, Konz is athletic for the position. Issues for him are staying healthy and improving upper-body strength.

6. DT Jerel Worthy, Michigan State

A strong player, Worthy can make plays in the backfield. In the right defensive scheme, he'll be a real asset.

7. T Bobby Massie, Mississippi

A right tackle for three years in the SEC, he could have been an elite tackle in next year's class if he had stayed in school. Projects as a left tackle in the NFL.

8. DT Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati

Wolfe has impressive pass-rushing ability and is an elite athlete. He can fit in a 4-3 or 3-4 defense.

9. T Jonathan Martin, Stanford

Martin did an excellent job protecting Andrew Luck's blind side for three seasons. He has the size, experience and overall athleticism you look for in a starting left tackle. Needs to be more physical.

10. CB Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama

Has slid this far only because of off-field issues. On the field, he has good hip flexibility and is a solid cover corner. Also a good punt returner.