• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The offensive Line

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ive been keen keeping up with the football school footage and all of us know you practice for how you want you team to play on Sunday. In every clip BOONe is starting RG. In this clip you can see Looney clearly in the back learning with the 1st group idk if its because he is hurt Boone is starting or is it that they expect boone to start but want Looney right there for there next man up rule. i will use this thread to keep up with the O-line and its progress threw camp. Your opinions?
Goodwin Joins Teammates at Football School

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Things I read make it sound like it's Boone's job to lose. If he's too tall, can't get leverage, etc., then Kilgore and Looney have a chance. If he can handle it, though, Boone will be the guy.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with boone at rg we become one of the bigger OFF lines in the nfl if he can get leverage then then are running game is going to be a problem for d's because he is a strong guy!!

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not at all excited about Boone at RG - Smith has enough trouble elevating his throws over lineman. I can see the back of Boone's helmet leading the league in passes defended next season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
my concern is swing tackle? its an important role and prefer someone concentrating on it 100%.

its nice to think Boone can simply move to OT as needed, but i question if its that easy? if he has to do it within a game, or in less than a week, isn't that asking a lot?

Boone doesn't necessarily sit on the bench for 16 games, Staley has gotten hurt before. but even without injury, they can let him play "here and there", say a quarter or even a half.

do like the fact Davis stays at RT, doesn't make sense to convert him to OG? later on, if it turns out Boone is a better OT, then move Davis to the swing tackle.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my concern is swing tackle? its an important role and prefer someone concentrating on it 100%.

its nice to think Boone can simply move to OT as needed, but i question if its that easy? if he has to do it within a game, or in less than a week, isn't that asking a lot?

Boone doesn't necessarily sit on the bench for 16 games, Staley has gotten hurt before. but even without injury, they can let him play "here and there", say a quarter or even a half.

do like the fact Davis stays at RT, doesn't make sense to convert him to OG? later on, if it turns out Boone is a better OT, then move Davis to the swing tackle.

Most backup lineman receive playing time at the various positions until the coaching staff becomes familiar with the players strengths. Boone won't lose his physical development for the tackle position so his playing guard will only add to his arsenal.

That said, however, and to your point, transitioning from one to the other does require some cerebral and technique adjustments as well as some muscle memory. But, having developed the skills at that position, and if Boone is athletic and smart enough then these adjustments should happen in a matter of plays not games.

As for Davis moving to Swing Tackle - If Boone pushed Davis out of the RT position - I would think he would find a home at RG if he can play the position. Davis' strength is in the run game

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Most backup lineman receive playing time at the various positions until the coaching staff becomes familiar with the players strengths. Boone won't lose his physical development for the tackle position so his playing guard will only add to his arsenal.

That said, however, and to your point, transitioning from one to the other does require some cerebral and technique adjustments as well as some muscle memory. But, having developed the skills at that position, and if Boone is athletic and smart enough then these adjustments should happen in a matter of plays not games.

As for Davis moving to Swing Tackle - If Boone pushed Davis out of the RT position - I would think he would find a home at RG if he can play the position. Davis' strength is in the run game

don't know how hard it is at OG, then moving to OT on short notice? if it turns out it ain't so bad, then fine. just raising a concern i guess?

main thing is we have a CAPABLE OT as ready as possible. if one of our starters go down in the 1st quarter, we won't be "giving it away" to the pass rusher. we don't want to scrap a game plan cause the RT is really struggling.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I am not at all excited about Boone at RG - Smith has enough trouble elevating his throws over lineman. I can see the back of Boone's helmet leading the league in passes defended next season.

If he's playing that high up he won't be at RG very long.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't know how hard it is at OG, then moving to OT on short notice? if it turns out it ain't so bad, then fine. just raising a concern i guess?

main thing is we have a CAPABLE OT as ready as possible. if one of our starters go down in the 1st quarter, we won't be "giving it away" to the pass rusher. we don't want to scrap a game plan cause the RT is really struggling.

I just explained that to you. Boone isn't going to suddenly become incapable of playing the tackle positions, he is a tackle transitioning to guard not the other way around.

Your concern would make more sense if it were directed toward Boone's replacement at RG, not toward Boone moving back to his natural and practiced position.

We are not going to be giving anything away at immediate depth - now, if we lose 2 or 3 OL's then we would be vulnerable, but not with our backups and certainly not with our coaching staff.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's playing that high up he won't be at RG very long.

He's going to be playing high because his natural COG is going to be high, to your point, whether it will be too high remains to be seen. Obviously if he earns the starting RG position then we should expect it won't be a problem.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just explained that to you. Boone isn't going to suddenly become incapable of playing the tackle positions, he is a tackle transitioning to guard not the other way around.

Your concern would make more sense if it were directed toward Boone's replacement at RG, not toward Boone moving back to his natural and practiced position.

We are not going to be giving anything away at immediate depth - now, if we lose 2 or 3 OL's then we would be vulnerable, but not with our backups and certainly not with our coaching staff.

yeah, you said Boone will be fine back at OT 'in a matter of plays'? sorry but i'm still unsure of that, however if you were a former offensive lineman, i'll believe you....really.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, you said Boone will be fine back at OT 'in a matter of plays'? sorry but i'm still unsure of that, however if you were a former offensive lineman, i'll believe you....really.

Fair enough - Hopefully, we wont need to find out.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he will be fine

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the presser yesterday, jim said its boones job to loose and that he is doing good. which to answer all of are question who will be swing tackle it will be Boone and Looney will plug in at guard, thats probably why he practices with the one's and not the 2's. *side note he also said that kap is the #2 qb right now and is running the 2's