• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NL is going to be a bitch next year

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Less $$$

My initial comparison was based on 2016 only as well. I was just expanding to make a point.

Expanding further, Big edge to the Giants in Bum/Greinke and edge Arizona in Corbin/Scrabble.

Yup, looking towards the future there aren't many SP's I'd take over Bumgarner.

I think Corbin and Miller will both continue to improve and by the time they hit their prime they could be a scary 1-2 punch of their own. Greinke strikes me as a guy that will age well though, he doesn't rely on overpowering people. Pin point location and he's just a really smart pitcher.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, looking towards the future there aren't many SP's I'd take over Bumgarner.

I think Corbin and Miller will both continue to improve and by the time they hit their prime they could be a scary 1-2 punch of their own. Greinke strikes me as a guy that will age well though, he doesn't rely on overpowering people. Pin point location and he's just a really smart pitcher.
And he has a legit bat. Dont undervalue that. The Giants, as a team, had NINE HRs from their pitchers in 2015. That is an OK hitting 2B...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he has a legit bat. Dont undervalue that. The Giants, as a team, had NINE HRs from their pitchers in 2015. That is an OK hitting 2B...

For most of the season Bumgarner led the team in slugging %.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there any reason to think there will be a ninth team in the NL this year, or is it purely an 8-team league?

SF
Arz
LA

StL
Chi
Pit

NYM
DC

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there any reason to think there will be a ninth team in the NL this year, or is it purely an 8-team league?

SF
Arz
LA

StL
Chi
Pit

NYM
DC

Seems that way, the NL bad teams are really pretty bad and mainly on purpose. Of course, there's always surprises, like the Twins in 2015.

Also, Miami has a chance to be the 9th decent team.

In the AL I'd say it's more up in the air. No great teams, the good ones should be KC, Texas, LAA, Houston, perhaps Boston, perhaps WHite Sox....just less clear over there.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SF
Arz
LA

StL
Chi
Pit

NYM
DC
I'd probably add Miami as a potential sleeper.

The huge issue with the NL being top heavy is that you're very likely to see a Wild Card team win it all because its going to take 100-105 games to win the NL Central and might take 95-100 to win the NL West and winning all of those games is usually a bad indicator for big playoff runs.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF Miami can stay healthy (and that seems to be a big if) they could be a solid team. They still need to make some moves and improve that rotation depth, but with Yelich, Gordon, Stanton, Fernandez as their core that's a good start.

The rotation is thin and that lineup still has some holes so if they sucked it wouldn't surprise me either. If I were their GM I'd target someone like Kennedy or Chen along with another mid-level starter.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only a couple of teams are even set but the Cubs are basically like the Nationals from last year and the Cardinals from the year before. The Cubs are absolutely going to be the hyped favorite.

Yeah, I think they're even more complete than those two teams were even with the hype they got. This is top to bottom one of the best teams I've ever seen on paper. They deserve every bit of hype they get.

:hope:

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really see Lackey and Heyward making the Cubs that much better, the hype is going to be there all season because it's Chicago and it's the Cubs and they were close last season but would anyone be surprised if they end up being the Nationals? Cubs are going to be the ESPN game of the week almost every week. Count on it. I'll be rooting for them to an extent.

:scratch:
you don't?
The addition of Heyward makes the offensive side of the ball more powerful....
The addition of Lackeyin my opinion maybe a wash...... Cause I don't see Arrieta pitching like he did last season.It was an incredible year for a pitcher, less being for him.
If Lester gets bark in the groove of his Boston playing days, we will be the dominate team for sure, but to say the two additions of Heyward and Lackey won't make much a difference is absurd.......

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cubs had two holes last year. SP depth and defense. Neither were game breakers, obviously. They made it to the NLCS, after all. But they addressed both of those needs. And Heyward adds an OBP threat in front of the boppers.