• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NFL's Best O-lines

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Right now I think the Niners have the best OL in the NFL. But I think it could be even better than it already is next season if they re-sign or franchise Iupati. :hope:

When I saw Marcus Martin play, I was seriously like, "This guy is a man amongst boys. Best center in the draft. Potentially as good as Jonathan Cooper one day (or close), who was about as good a prospect as you're ever gonna find. "

Cooper's gonna be Olin Kreutz; Niners just got Jeremy Newberry. I am drooling over how good (and deep with Brandon Thomas) this OL can be. All 5 starters have the potential to be pro bowl caliber starters! :drool:

That said, there are some other lines that are starting to look really friggn' good.

Dallas:

Tyron Smith, Zack Martin, Travis Fredrick, Ronald Leary, Doug Free.

They're almost there. Doug Free sucks IMO. Dallas fans can't stand him. But those guys on the left side remind me of Seattle's left side in 2005. I'm exaggerating on Free; he's good enough to start, but he still pisses off Cowboys' fans (which is why I love the guy :D)

Tennessee:

I honestly don't know what they're going to do with that line. Maybe move Andy Levitre to center???

Michael Roos, Taylor Lewan, Andy Levitre, Chance Warmack, Michael Oher.

Wow! That's some talent. I don't know if Oher can play guard, but maybe he could switch with Lewan because Lewan is a better tackle IMO. We'll see...

Honourable mention: New England & Denver. Anyone I'm forgetting?

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I really don't see Iupati coming back. I think that's why we drafted Martin and Thomas. In 2015 either Kilgore or Thomas will be the starting LG.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I believe Marcus Martin and even Kilgore prove to be significant upgrades to Center our offensive line will bounce back really strong in 2014.

Goodwin's play dipped pretty hard from 2012 to 2013 and I firmly believe that the Center play has a positive or negative effect on the play of the Guards.

We just gave up way too much pressure up the interior on the pass and far too many 3rd and shorts weren't converted last year.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I really don't see Iupati coming back. I think that's why we drafted Martin and Thomas. In 2015 either Kilgore or Thomas will be the starting LG.

My gut tells me that we're going to aim to resign Crabtree over Iupati.

Maybe it's me but I did find it odd we loaded up on offensive line talent but didn't tap in on what was supposed to be a deep WR class to start to develop a replacement for Crabtree.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:

They extended all the other key lineman. Either he rebuffed their advances or they haven't tried to extend him.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

I think you're right, but I hope you're not. I people severely undervalue Iupati, and I think it's telling that the NFCCG started to go to crap RIGHT when Iupati got injured.

If Kaep gets a contract extension, I don't see any reason not to franchise him. :hope:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

:puke:

By the way, as far as Kilgore goes I don't think he's ever going to be a good offensive lineman. I just don't. Call me a pessimist, but I just don't see it. Seems like small potatoes to me.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
:agree:

They extended all the other key lineman. Either he rebuffed their advances or they haven't tried to extend him.

They've tried but they are at an impasse at the moment and neither side has really budged on it's demands.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I would prefer Iupati because I just think Crabtree is going to ask and likely get more money than he's worth.

But the feeling/impression I'm getting is the team is probably thinking it's much easier to replace Iupati than it would be Crabtree.

I mean looking at our draft history from 2010 it doesn't seem Baalke puts a whole lot of stock in taking lineman high. Davis and Iupati were very much Singletary driven picks but off hand I think this year is the highest we invested in offensive line and that's partially because we got tremendous value with the Martin and Thomas picks.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas does have a chance to have a really good OLine with the addition of Martin.

At the moment I cant agree with the poster putting them ahead of Philly. LT All Pro, LG All Pro, C top 5 in the NFL, RG so/so, RT star rookie (Lane Johnson). THe only issue with Phillys OLine is they are getting a little old and should have grabbed a top Guard to replace an aging Herramins.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thomas was a "jizz in my pants" pick, considering that I expected him off the board in the early-mid 2nd round. He fully expect him to be our Iupati insurance, something I didn't think we would have the chance to do in this draft.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Dallas does have a chance to have a really good OLine with the addition of Martin.

At the moment I cant agree with the poster putting them ahead of Philly. LT All Pro, LG All Pro, C top 5 in the NFL, RG so/so, RT star rookie (Lane Johnson). THe only issue with Phillys OLine is they are getting a little old and should have grabbed a top Guard to replace an aging Herramins.

You're right; Dallas isn't there yet. But I think Lame Johnson (I know that's mean) has a lot to prove to earn the designation "star." I think he'll do really well, but he had a pretty rough start IMO.

And I think it's been a while since anyone considered Jason Peters "all pro." And Jason Kelce is a top-5 center? Anyone agree with that? I'm not exactly a Jason Kelce expert.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
:puke:

By the way, as far as Kilgore goes I don't think he's ever going to be a good offensive lineman. I just don't. Call me a pessimist, but I just don't see it. Seems like small potatoes to me.

I don't think so as well and I actually fully expect Martin to be the starter day 1 and if not very soon. I mean he couldn't jack Goodwin's spot last year so that's telling me that he's going to be quality depth at best.

I can't really quantify it but when I saw all the offensive lineman up close at the Packers/9ers playoff game last year he just really didn't have that look of being a dominant interior lineman. He just felt very much like an undersized tackle to me.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would much rather have the 3rd round comp pick and Thomas then to give Iupati 8 mil or more a year.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I would much rather have the 3rd round comp pick and Thomas then to give Iupati 8 mil or more a year.

That's like banking on Lattimore dominating this season. That's an almost reckless plan IMO.

But you don't have to give him 8 mill per season, per se, if he's tagged. Just for 1 year. Maybe 2 if he plays at an all-pro' level & is worth the 20% raise. But at that point you never know whom the Niners may have found.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's like banking on Lattimore dominating this season. That's an almost reckless plan IMO.

But you don't have to give him 8 mill per season, per se, if he's tagged. Just for 1 year. Maybe 2 if he plays at an all-pro' level & is worth the 20% raise. But at that point you never know whom the Niners may have found.

Not really a good comparison. Lattimore tore everything. Thomas was just an ACL which many players come back from at full strength. If for some reason Thomas doesn't then Marcus Martin can play G.

And if Iupati is tagged he's getting way over 8 mil a year. There's no designation for OT, G and C for the franchise tag. It's just offensive lineman now. That is 10 mil this year for a transition tag. It'll be much more next year. So I'll give a 5 percent chance the Niners transition tag a guard for over 10 mil a year. Zero percent chance he gets franchise tagged.

NFL releases 2014 franchise, transition tag numbers - NFL.com

So yeah much rather have 3rd round comp and Thomas then spend 8 mil on a guard.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Not really a good comparison. Lattimore tore everything. Thomas was just an ACL which many players come back from at full strength. If for some reason Thomas doesn't then Marcus Martin can play G.

And if Iupati is tagged he's getting over 8 mil a year. There's no designation for OT, G and C for the franchise tag. It's just offensive lineman now.

NFL releases 2014 franchise, transition tag numbers - NFL.com

So yeah much rather have 3rd round comp and Thomas then spend 8 mil on a guard.

Someone on dratf day said Thomas' ACL tear was a really bad one, but maybe I heard wrong. Either way, just because a lot of players have come back from ACL tears doesn't mean it's a given this guy will. You don't really hear about all the players who have injuries & are never the same again. You only really hear about the great ones who come back from 'em.

I just think it's a little premature to want an all-pro' gone when the guy who's going to replace him hasn't played a single snap in the NFL and is coming off a season-ending injury. That'd be like not tagging / re-signing Justin Smith because we're banking on Tank. Tank might be an all-out bust. And Thomas might too. It's yet to be seen.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Maybe it's me but I did find it odd we loaded up on offensive line talent but didn't tap in on what was supposed to be a deep WR class to start to develop a replacement for Crabtree.

My gut feeling is the same. Our development of WRs is horrendous. Letting the only WR that we've developed pretty well would set us back. Maybe Ellington, Patton, and Stevie show us a lot next season and be our future WR corps. But that doesn't sound like scenario you want to depend on. I think the next draft is when we trade up for a WR who can contribute somewhat in his rookie year.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone on dratf day said Thomas' ACL tear was a really bad one, but maybe I heard wrong. Either way, just because a lot of players have come back from ACL tears doesn't mean it's a given this guy will. You don't really hear about all the players who have injuries & are never the same again. You only really hear about the great ones who come back from 'em.

I just think it's a little premature to want an all-pro' gone when the guy who's going to replace him hasn't played a single snap in the NFL and is coming off a season-ending injury. That'd be like not tagging / re-signing Justin Smith because we're banking on Tank. Tank might be an all-out bust. And Thomas might too. It's yet to be seen.

Like I said Marcus Martin can play G too. So that would be the backup plan and draft a C or another G.

I don't want Iupati gone. I just don't think a G is worth 8 mil a year.

Thomas may be a bust. So could Martin. Maybe they're the next Chilo's. But the Niners do a pretty good job of picking up OL. If Iupati doesn't get re-signed that that will mean the Niners feel comfortable with the guy that's going to replace him whoever that may be.