• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NFL Tried To Drug Test Chris Borland A Month After He Retired From The League

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Source) ONE DAY IN April, the NFL asked Chris Borland to take a random drug test. The timing of this request was, in a word, bizarre, since Borland, a San Francisco 49ers linebacker, had retired a month earlier after a remarkable rookie season. He said he feared getting brain damage if he continued to play.

Borland had been amazed at the reaction to his decision, the implications of which many saw as a direct threat to the NFL. And now here was an email demanding that he pee in a cup before a league proctor within 24 hours or fail the test. “I figured if I said no, people would think I was on drugs,” he said recently. That, he believed, “would ruin my life.” As he thought about how to respond, Borland began to wonder how random this drug test really was.

What did the NFL still want with him? Nobody could have held out much hope that he’d change his mind. On Friday, March 13, when Borland retired via email, he attached a suggested press release, then reaffirmed his intentions in conversations with 49ers officials. Instead of announcing Borland’s retirement, the team sent him a bill — an unsubtle reminder that he’d have to return most of his $617,436 signing bonus if he followed through. That Monday, Borland, knowing he was forgoing at least $2.35 million, not to mention a promising career, made the announcement himself to Outside the Lines. He has since elaborated on the decision to everyone from Face the Nation to Charlie Rose to undergraduates at Wisconsin, where he was an All-American.

On that day back in April, Borland stared hard at his iPhone, pondering what to do about the NFL’s summons to a post-retirement drug test. The league says it reserves the right to test players — even after they’ve retired — to ensure that they don’t dodge a test, then return. But given the stakes, and the NFL’s dubious history on concussions, it occurred to Borland that maybe, just maybe, he was being set up.

“I don’t want to be a conspiracy theorist,” he says. “I just wanted to be sure.” Borland agreed to submit a urine sample to the NFL’s representative, who drove in from Green Bay and administered the test in the Wisconsin trainer’s room. Then he hired a private firm for $150 to test him independently. Both tests came back negative, according to Borland. “I don’t really trust the NFL,” he says.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that on of the blogs last night.

The NFL people think their shit doesn't think so they think you must be on something illegal to turn down all that money!

More power to Borland for walking away.

Jason Worilds was a FA and looking at at least $25 to 30 mil guaranteed...decided he had enough....now that was after cashing $10 mil in NFL checks on his franchise tag contract in '14...I don't blame him either.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take the silly test like you agreed to.

Why are we even discussing this?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take the silly test like you agreed to.

Why are we even discussing this?

Why? He no longer works for the league?

You leave your place of work on your own fruition...a month later they want you piss in a cup? Go f-off. He has no pension, a partial signing bonus (which they tried to go after I think).

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You leave your place of work on your own fruition...a month later they want you piss in a cup? Go f-off. He has no pension, a partial signing bonus (which they tried to go after I think).

Read the article and you'll know why. This is basic stuff. No one twisted his arm to agree to it.

In before someone blames Roger Goodell and demands his assassination.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL did the same thing to Brandon Browner when he left to play Canadian football.

I can see where the NFL is coming from. Borland is STILL under contract with the niners until they release him from that contract, and at any point in time Borland can unretire. He shouldn't be able to use this as a way to avoid getting caught if he was in fact using PEDs

Reactions: gb2

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read the article and you'll know why. This is basic stuff. No one twisted his arm to agree to it.

In before someone blames Roger Goodell and demands his assassination.

No ONE ever twists your arm...the cash does it...lol.

I skimmed it last night...so maybe I stand corrected...it happens.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the big deal? This is part of the CBA & drug program that all players agreed to.

This.

But I know what it is.

@Rock Strongo is trying to further vilify the league office and present them as bullies in his weak-ass attempt to paint Tom Brady a victim.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ask the author.

I don't need to ask the author, I am asking the person who posted this.

If anyone has any doubt as to whether this article has an agenda, look at the authors.
  • Steve Fainaru
  • Mark Fainaru-Wada
These guys have been discredited many times for jumping the gun & creating news rather than reporting news.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't need to ask the author, I am asking the person who posted this.

If anyone has any doubt as to whether this article has an agenda, look at the authors.
  • Steve Fainaru
  • Mark Fainaru-Wada
These guys have been discredited many times for jumping the gun & creating news rather than reporting news.
do you still wish everyone used the search function too?

that was an ugly thread for you.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ask the author.

You mean the two guys that wrote the book "league of denial" trying to nail the NFL for covering up Concussions? Yeah they don't have an agenda with this article.

It is within the rules of the NFL to do just what they did. This is to keep players from announcing retirement knowing they have been called to take a drug test but knowing they will be positive then unretiring after they have become clean.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he gave them a resounding "Fuck Off"

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean the two guys that wrote the book "league of denial" trying to nail the NFL for covering up Concussions? Yeah they don't have an agenda with this article.

It is within the rules of the NFL to do just what they did. This is to keep players from announcing retirement knowing they have been called to take a drug test but knowing they will be positive then unretiring after they have become clean.
i know

the article says that

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm shocked Rock hasn't made a convoluted comparison of this horrible persecution and that of Tom Brady.

The NFL is so mean.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am required to take random drug test for my job if they sent me a test notice after I retired I'd tell them to pound sand.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He gave that option up when he signed a contract with an NFL team.

And when he retired from that NFL team he is no longer bound by that contract.

The league asked him to take one anyway, to protect themselves if he un-retired. He accepted the request to take it, even though it was no longer required, to protect himself from any libel or slander. And possibly to protect him if he changed his mind in the future.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You leave your place of work on your own fruition ..a month later they want you piss in a cup? Go f-off. He has no pension, a partial signing bonus (which they tried to go after I think).

Volition.

I promise I'm not usually that grammar Nazi guy, but this one bugged me inordinately for some reason.