• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NFL Tried To Drug Test Chris Borland A Month After He Retired From The League

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahum,

has anyone actually - so far - shown proof that the NFL has the right to conduct a post retirement drug test? Apart from the host of problems that brings with it:
I haven't heard that Borland is threatening to sue.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't heard that Borland is threatening to sue.

Nope - but that could as well be because he has no interest in the hassle involved in suing the NFL. And based on what was written about him in the rest of the article, I would guess that could well be the reason.

Him suing the NFL will not get him anywhere and only cost him money and stress for months if not years, with nothing to gain if he were to win.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most likely that would have invited trouble big time, and one way or another be seen as a missed test = guilt. That is the way PED drug-testing works to this day in just about every other sport. Your best bet is to have another institution do a 2nd test on the same sample (and hope it is certified to do that testing - and even then if it ends up in a legal case (different results), the NFL will argue that the lab might not be recognized by them, and that therefore the competing test results are invalid); but I would guess there is no way to not have the NFL lab do the test and not be declared a PED user by default. Doesn't work that way in other sports, and I am extremeley doubtful it does work that way in the NFL.
All of that is moot if you are retired. Doesn't matter if they call it a failed test because you avoided it if you are serious about not coming back. The independent test is enough to at least keep your name from being dragged through the mud without giving the league the satisfaction of still bullying you after you aren't even in the league anymore.