• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NFL is scared that their crop of players will dry up around the country

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on, if your dad was Brett Favre I'm sure you'd have some football talent in you and not to mention the best coach you could possibly want.

So he admits, humbly, that his son would be awesome thus making it to college and perhaps pro increasing his chance of injury.

You're reading a lot into his comments. He seemed to just have been saying that there are two things he is concerned with: 1) high expectations would make his son feel like a failure if he didn't become a successful player like his dad; and 2) the physical toll from playing football.

Also, he never said that his son would be awesome at football. In fact, one of Favre's concerns is how would his son deal with it if he weren't awesome at football like his daddy.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if I would agree with this theory. I think the lower level of participation in peewee may be more to do with the greatest recession in 80 years than rules put in place just last year. Football is expensive.

As long as there is massive amounts of money involved, there will be a long line at the door to get some. They just can't claim they were never told about the risks of concussion or serious injury anymore.

I think there should be at least one more tweak to the rule, but not sure how it should be handled. The opposing player who gave the concussion should also be removed from the game. What is stopping Defenses from trying to concuss star players? 15 yard penalty and a fine? Maybe for a rookie min contract it would be hard to justify the fine, but a one time 15 yarder is hardly a stumbling block when you can remove a star player from the game due to the new concussion protocol.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Whoops! I'm a scrub who came in and took one hit from the opposing team's best player and now my head hurts."

That opens up far more than it solves.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure what the NFL should do at this point. They can talk about what they should have done but haven't, but how about the future? The lawsuits have made it so publicly wide known and I also do think that it's not an illegitimate action to change hits to avoid lawsuits, as long as the changes actually reduce the injuries. I don't care if their dole purpose is money. Some care, I don't.

One thing I have heard is better equipment with mandatory use, continuing research, etc. They should do that, but I feel that it's too late to avoid some of the changes the OP talked about. I'm not talking about flag football but rather the switch to offense (though some will know their best chance is defense) and more protection for QBs.