• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NFL Competition Committee will be talking about replay on pass interference penalties

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you feel about instant replay on interference plays? Also should it just be a 15 yard penalty or at the spot of the penalty?

Giants owner John Mara intrigued by PI replay - NFL.com

The pass interference that wasn't during the Wild Card battle between the Dallas Cowboys and Detroit Lions spurned a lot of debate about reviewing such calls in the future.

The NFL's Competition Committee will discuss the issue this offseason.

One member of the committee, Giants co-owner John Mara, hasn't been in favor of reviewing penalty calls in the past, but might be changing his mind.

"I've always been an opponent of it, but I have to tell you, I'm starting to think a little different about it," he said Wednesday on WFAN radio. "It's such a huge penalty and I'm starting to change my mind about that.

"I know that's something we're going to discuss at the competition committee starting in February and I'm looking forward to that because I think the time has come to, not only have that discussion and that debate, but to really think about a change in that rule. The replay was implemented in order to try to correct the major calls in games, to get the big call right, and they're not too many calls that are bigger than a defensive pass interference."

The committee will make a recommendation to NFL owners who will vote on the issue.
"You have to keep in mind, it takes 24 votes to get anything accomplished in the NFL and that sometimes is a difficult task, but I would not be surprised if we added to the reviewable plays," Mara said.

Coming from a committee member and an influential owner that's a heavy statement for those in favor of adding reviews on interference calls.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just replay everything and rename the game perfectionball.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just replay everything and rename the game perfectionball.

Why not just get it right...but it shouldn't be unlimited reviews keep that the same or games will be 10 hours. 15 yards on PI is more than enough as well.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We limit the amount of times coaches and throw the bean bag now and adding another avenue for using those up shouldn't substantially change the amount of time the zerbas go under the hood. I mean don't expand the number of times coaches can challenge and it should be fine.

As for spot foul vs 15y penalty, I'm fine with spot foul. The problem with 15y penalty is you get DB's intentionally fouling beyind 15y if they think they are beat. You will find a lot more take downs on purpose. The farther down field the less the penalty hurts so why not? It would be coached that way. We want to see QB's trying to complete those deep passes, not wrestling matches on the field.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not just get it right...but it shouldn't be unlimited reviews keep that the same or games will be 10 hours. 15 yards on PI is more than enough as well.

If getting it right is so important, why not replay even when theres not a penalty just to make sure they didnt miss something. A missed penalty can be just as impactful as a bad one.

Seriously though... If it was just a flat 15 yards for PI, what if your team is down 3 with 12 seconds left from their own 20, and the QB throws a bomb and the receiver has a step on a defender, and the defender just táckles him to keep the offense out of FG range? I bet you would see more stuff like that late in games when defenses would be willing to concede 15 yards to ensure the offense doesnt get the big play.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prefer if PI & personal fouls were automatically reviewed. Personally, I think all reviews for every game should be done from a single centralized location. The ref should just participate to relay the information.

About the penalty, I don't support changing it to 15 yards. It's a spot foul for a reason.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way they call pass interference is way too inconsistent and these are often critical game-changing plays. Yes, this needs to be reviewed. I'm baffled as to why it has taken them this long to figure it out.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If getting it right is so important, why not replay even when theres not a penalty just to make sure they didnt miss something. A missed penalty can be just as impactful as a bad one.

Seriously though... If it was just a flat 15 yards for PI, what if your team is down 3 with 12 seconds left from their own 20, and the QB throws a bomb and the receiver has a step on a defender, and the defender just táckles him to keep the offense out of FG range? I bet you would see more stuff like that late in games when defenses would be willing to concede 15 yards to ensure the offense doesnt get the big play.

I'm not saying that this should be the answer. But I still think that's much better than what we currently have.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You had to believe that the rules committee was going to be busy this off season what with all of the controversial calls.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the one hand I would be happy with them making PI reviewable, but why limit it to PI? We have seen massive holds/tackling by the O-line go unpunished that were critical for big plays to happen, including scoring plays; prime time example of course the final drive of the Lions @ Cowboys game in the play-offs.

What about looking for fat a O-lineman running 30 yards down the field on passing plays while the QB still has the ball in his hand, this being ignored by the refs in live play, and a big 3rd down conversion allowed to stand (Seahawks @ Eagles)?

If you go for one penalty to be made reviewable for the reason that refs blow these calls too often, every single play should be made reviewable for just about any penalty; in particular for NON-judgement calls.

And with the judgment call type, where do you draw the line of when a call should be overturned?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it should be reviewed but I do think most should be 15. I would only use spot foul if it is blatant and intentional

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it should be reviewed but I do think most should be 15. I would only use spot foul if it is blatant and intentional

by doing that the call would be even more subjective than it is now. i'd rather see the guidelines relaxed some and let the players 'play' like they used to. there is always some grabbing and pushing off on both sides anyway.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should be reviewable ... ABSOLUTELY... This would make refs more accountable for stupid tick tack call's ... WE all want the game to be as fair as possible... Don't we ?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Games will take 4 hours if we're reviewing PI penalties.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Games will take 4 hours if we're reviewing PI penalties.

Why ? You only have what, 2 challenges a game... Are you honestly gonna argue to keep the games UNFAIR because of time ?

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumb idea. Why PI and not other calls? If they're so worried about the way it's being called then just make it a 15 yard penalty so it doesn't have such a huge impact on the game at times.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just give teams 3 challenges and let them decide what they want to challenge.

I do like the idea of a 15 yard penalty for PI. Make it a spot foul if it is less than 15 yards

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just give teams 3 challenges and let them decide what they want to challenge.

I do like the idea of a 15 yard penalty for PI. Make it a spot foul if it is less than 15 yards

You would see a lot less completed down field passes as a result. Coaches would be telling their guys to foul if they are beat past 15.

This is the era of big offense. I'm sure the league doesn't want to see the equivalent of hack a Shaq.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prefer if PI & personal fouls were automatically reviewed. Personally, I think all reviews for every game should be done from a single centralized location. The ref should just participate to relay the information.

About the penalty, I don't support changing it to 15 yards. It's a spot foul for a reason.

Yep true and I can't disagree on the logic behind the spot foul.

NHL goes to Toronto no bias or crowd pressure that way works well. Also creates consistency.

I have only seen it fail once when the anchor in Pitt didn't supply the NHL with their feed. The guy was later fired if you can believe it...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would see a lot less completed down field passes as a result. Coaches would be telling their guys to foul if they are beat past 15.

This is the era of big offense. I'm sure the league doesn't want to see the equivalent of hack a Shaq.

Won't happen... College has been doing it for years and it works great ... If your that beat off the line your not catching the guy to grab him anyway .... Something has to be done because the current system is rapping defenses ....