• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NFL Appears to be Higher on JJ McCarthy than the General Public; NFC Team has him QB2 in the Draft

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main thing McCarthy has going for him compared to the other 2 mid first round prospects his name is attached to is he won’t be close to 30 when his rookie deal is up.
Does it matter? Average prime for the good ones is like age 26 to 36.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There might be some buyer beware with McCarthy in the 1st round. His numbers this season before and after Connor Stallions look like two different players.

Before CS resigned. He was completing 78.1% of his passes / 225 yards per game / 18 TD's & 1 int

After he left (final 5 games). 68.6% / 166 / 1 TD

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There might be some buyer beware with McCarthy in the 1st round. His numbers this season before and after Connor Stallions look like two different players.

Before CS resigned. He was completing 78.1% of his passes / 225 yards per game / 18 TD's & 1 int

After he left (final 5 games). 68.6% / 166 / 1 TD
All that cheating in his early years made Tom Brady a much better and much more aware quarterback in his elder years than he would have been otherwise.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that cheating in his early years made Tom Brady a much better and much more aware quarterback in his elder years than he would have been otherwise.

Way to move those goals posts!

TB12 has nothing to do with Connor Stallions or McCarthy. Try to stay on topic.

My comment was only about McCarthy's numbers before and after Stallions.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my favorite aspects of Michigan college football history is that when they were living it, Michigan fans almost universally wanted Tom Brady benched in favor of what would become a failed Yankees 3B prospect in Drew Henson. I’ll never forget that. Wolverine fans don’t know ball.
Im one of the lucky ones, who got to be there for an in game benching.

Dude was the third best QB on his own roster. Nice guy though. Just no Scott Dreisbach.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume he goes Top 15.

Excellent arm strength, good feet, winner, age, no extreme question marks like wearing dresses and making demands.

Penix should be a mid round guy. His body’s youth is behind him and other than a handful of landing spots, his receivers will be lesser talents than what he had at Washington. (Although same can be said of JJs line and RBs)

McCarthy also got to face plenty of good defenses, particularly Iowa/PSU/2023 OSU.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way to move those goals posts!

TB12 has nothing to do with Connor Stallions or McCarthy. Try to stay on topic.

My comment was only about McCarthy's numbers before and after Stallions.
Exactly. All that cheating gave McCarthy an extra level of "how to think the game" that he wouldn't have had otherwise. Sure it made some situations easier in the moment, but the mental skills he developed stay with him. He's a better prospect for it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not ridiculously surprised by this considering his age relative to the rest of the class. It looks like the one knock I've seen on his college film is that while he has a strong arm that his deep ball isnt very good. Thats fixable. If you look at someone like Penix, he has a good deep ball but major medical red flags and his age suggests that he is almost fully developed. I guess the thing on Nix is that his arm talent isnt as good as some of the other guys and he is also probably a system QB.

I kinda wouldn't be shocked if he went pick 5 and the Chargers traded down. Once you poke holes in Penix and Nix then that leaves McCarthy. We're in the lying season right now, though, so I'm not putting much stock in him going #2.
Exactly!! (to the last comment). These guys are like the CIA when it comes to draft, trade or FA intel. Unless it's a smokescreen they want to create why would they tell anyone what they actually might do or think?

In addition, I think if they wanted to, ESPN could get fans to believe the league (or they) are high on someone like Cade Stover and he could go in round 1.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a big time highschiok recruit too. Hes got pedigree. Everryone, has always, been high on him.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I Love You Boxing GIF by Rocky

Chief Cola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing that NFL teams are really, really, really bad at realizing is that taking the WRONG 1st round QB is 1000 times worse than not taking a QB at all.

More often than not it completely stops you from drafting a QB the following 2 or 3 seasons and there often is a time when you are then passing on a legit QB prospect in the future because you still have your fingers crossed on a poor decision.
The 49ers just provided a blueprint for overcoming a bad pick.

The real problem may be that truly good head coaches and GMs are just as rare as franchise QBs.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My big thing here is: Don't dock a player for the system they are in. Love got docked way too much by the media for playing with 7 new starters, a terrible defense (like Mahomes did at Texas Tech), and having a brand new HC and OC. The system McCarthy was in, is the main criticism of him, and I don't believe that's an intelligent take on the kid. I could very well move him downward if he doesn't show strong deep ball accuracy. Another player I higher on than most is Spencer Rattler. For me, I am just not buying into Caleb Williams and Drake Maye being superstars.
You could be right about Maye or Caleb for different reasons but I think there is a far greater chance one of the top 3 QB’s in this class (Caleb, Maye or Jayden) becomes a very solid QB rather than McCarthy. Part of being a franchise QB is carrying a team to victories and having to throw 30+ times to get wins in this league. We haven’t seen Mccarthy do it. We can talk about system but we still haven’t seen it. So that in itself is a huge WHAT IF. We have seen all of those top 3 guys carry their teams. So Mccarthy could be better but if you are looking at all the tools he doesn’t possess them. Kinda like finding a needle in a haystack. If he does become a franchise qb he will need to go to a perfect fit and system and a great qb coach. Kinda like Lamar in BAL-they built the offense to cater to him.
A lot of it is mental. He has great athleticism and accuracy but that only takes you so far.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember Joe Burrow saying Clyde Edwards-Helaire was the best player on lsu.
Tebow was the best player Urban has been around in his coaching career and a winner.
Lots of “winners” don’t make it in this league. Not really a trait unless you possess all the other important QB traits as well

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think all 3 top QBs are going to bust.

When has USC ever produced a good QB? Carson Palmer was it.. and yah had the massive injury, but was generally unpredictable.

Drake who?

Jayden Daniels admittedly did some nice things, but he'll probably be injured like Richardson was in no time.

I mean who is left, Penix who can't operate without an elite offensive line (he probably would be the best QB with one though), and Nix? LOL...

I really hope Seattle skips all the QBs this year.. I think they're all a giant flop.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think all 3 top QBs are going to bust.

When has USC ever produced a good QB? Carson Palmer was it.. and yah had the massive injury, but was generally unpredictable.

Drake who?

Jayden Daniels admittedly did some nice things, but he'll probably be injured like Richardson was in no time.

I mean who is left, Penix who can't operate without an elite offensive line (he probably would be the best QB with one though), and Nix? LOL...

I really hope Seattle skips all the QBs this year.. I think they're all a giant flop.
You really think all the QB’s flop? There is likely one QB that emerges and becomes a franchise QB. At least one.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will never understand thinking a QB will be a bust just because of where he went to school - that makes no sense to me. Some people were saying it about Stroud last year and look how that turned out. Who cares where a QB went to school, I care about what their skills are and how they actually played.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really think all the QB’s flop? There is likely one QB that emerges and becomes a franchise QB. At least one.

I do. I think this will be a HUGE QB bust year. I'm happy to come back and eat crow if this isn't the case, but I think Williams is MASSIVELY overrated, Daniels will be injured, Maye came out of nowhere... and then Bo Nix and Penix will be backup QBs. McCarthy? Might as well be Jimmy GPRORORORAORRL 2.0.

This is a VERY weak draft class for top tier talent. This is a trade down draft class IMO.