• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NFL Appears to be Higher on JJ McCarthy than the General Public; NFC Team has him QB2 in the Draft

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I have Daniels as QB1 and McCarthy as QB2. As I said before, people are unfairly docking him for the system he played in. Just like the media did with Mahomes and Love. Two quarterbacks I was extremely high on coming out of college. For me, I think he's extremely athletic and throws the ball with precision and accuracy. It will be interesting to see how well he throws the deep ball at the combine and pro day. And yes, I think age is going to be a driving factor. It took Penix and Nix about 5 to 6 seasons to look great.
I assume he goes Top 15.

Excellent arm strength, good feet, winner, age, no extreme question marks like wearing dresses and making demands.

Penix should be a mid round guy. His body’s youth is behind him and other than a handful of landing spots, his receivers will be lesser talents than what he had at Washington. (Although same can be said of JJs line and RBs)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh and Tom Brady consider him the greatest QB in Michigan history, fwiw.

Not that I’d consider Tom #2 or even #3, but his opinion carries weight on this.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My big thing here is: Don't dock a player for the system they are in. Love got docked way too much by the media for playing with 7 new starters, a terrible defense (like Mahomes did at Texas Tech), and having a brand new HC and OC. The system McCarthy was in, is the main criticism of him, and I don't believe that's an intelligent take on the kid. I could very well move him downward if he doesn't show strong deep ball accuracy. Another player I higher on than most is Spencer Rattler. For me, I am just not buying into Caleb Williams and Drake Maye being superstars.
Where would you take Rattler? I wouldn't be surprise if he's taken in the 2nd-3rd

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not that I’d consider Tom #2 or even #3, but his opinion carries weight on this.
It's a coaches job to gaslight all their players going into the draft

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where would you take Rattler? I wouldn't be surprise if he's taken in the 2nd-3rd
All of the Senior Bowl MVP winning QBs have gone in the first four rounds. I think his Senior Bowl performance helped his stock a lot. All of the Senior Bowl quarterbacks, except for Nix and Rattler, were pretty underwhelming. That's my nice way of saying they looked terrible.

Where would I take Rattler? Probably 2nd or 3rd round. The kid's got physical tools. Knows how to throw the ball into difficult windows. Very mobile. I think he's matured a lot from being benched at Oklahoma. That's really the big issue for him. Same reason why Jalen Hurts wasn't drafted in the first round. He got benched for poor play and had to move into a new environment to get his head straight.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume he goes Top 15.

Excellent arm strength, good feet, winner, age, no extreme question marks like wearing dresses and making demands.

Penix should be a mid round guy. His body’s youth is behind him and other than a handful of landing spots, his receivers will be lesser talents than what he had at Washington. (Although same can be said of JJs line and RBs)
All of the tape I have seen on him was quite impressive. It will be interesting to see how people view his arm strength. Top 15, if he continues impress NFL teams and scouts.

May I also say, it's important to understand that no quarterback comes into the NFL as a finished product. They all need to tune up things about their game. You don't want to draft based on stats -- those are always deceptive and more team based . You want to look at which skill set they can bring to the table.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of the tape I have seen on him was quite impressive. It will be interesting to see how people view his arm strength. Top 15, if he continues impress NFL teams and scouts.

May I also say, it's important to understand that no quarterback comes into the NFL as a finished product. They all need to tune up things about their game. You don't want to draft based on stats -- those are always deceptive and more team based . You want to look at which skill set they can bring to the table.
Having watched most every snap he took in college, I can say I would’ve recommended he stay another year.

Lots of things to polish. Like extending plays with his legs without big losses.

But I get leaving. Nothing left to prove at the college level. And it sounds like he already was aware of where he stands with scouts.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume he goes Top 15.

Penix can rent a car, take that McCarthy!

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think JJ gets past the Vikings. I think they have decided to let Cousins go, I think Kirk is a top 10-12 QB in the league but you can't pay the 10th-12th best QB in the league $45M. I think the Vikes would prefer Daniels but he won't make it past 4, if New England doesn't take him at 3 Arizona will trade 4 to someone who will take him.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all correct. You go with a rookie QB your team has a 30 to 50 million cap advantage to improve the roster. Take Levis with the Titans, his cap hit is 2.1 million, while mediocre QBs like say Carr has a 35.7 cap hit, Geno has a 31 million cap hit, Daniel Jones has 47.1 cap hit, Watson has 63.9 cap hit. I'd take my chances with Levis and if I had doubts about him I would keep stocking rookie QBs similar to what the Packers do. The BIGGEST MISTAKE is paying up for mediocre QBs.
I agree with your general point but 1 year cap hits aren't a fair reflection of cost.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with your general point but 1 year cap hits aren't a fair reflection of cost.
In this case I think it's close enough. Rookie's are cheap and vets are costly and the difference when it comes to QBs is huge.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this case I think it's close enough. Rookie's are cheap and vets are costly and the difference when it comes to QBs is huge.
Smith got $27.5M this year. He's due $22.5M in 2024 and $25M in 2025. How is $31M a fair reflection? His cap number this year was $10.1M, which is an equally unfair number. Basically i'm agreeing with you, but they way you've presented it could leave you open to an accusation of cherry-picking numbers.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith got $27.5M this year. He's due $22.5M in 2024 and $25M in 2025. How is $31M a fair reflection? His cap number this year was $10.1M, which is an equally unfair number. Basically i'm agreeing with you, but they way you've presented it could leave you open to an accusation of cherry-picking numbers.
I shouldn't have said equally unfair. It would be vastly more unfair, and not at all representative.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith got $27.5M this year. He's due $22.5M in 2024 and $25M in 2025. How is $31M a fair reflection? His cap number this year was $10.1M, which is an equally unfair number. Basically i'm agreeing with you, but they way you've presented it could leave you open to an accusation of cherry-picking number
The point was and is that a rookie starting QB comes with a big financial advantage for NFL teams ( as long as they aren't paying out for another QB on the roster) vs paying for less then stellar veteran QBs. You do agree with the point....correct?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point was and is that a rookie starting QB comes with a big financial advantage for NFL teams ( as long as they aren't paying out for another QB on the roster) vs paying for less then stellar veteran QBs. You do agree with the point....correct?
I've clearly agreed with that, twice. That paying 'less money' is an advantage over paying 'more money' is so obvious that no-one should be claiming it's a point. Whether you're being fair or not with your use of numbers in making said point is for individual readers to decide.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not be surprised if one of those teams like Washington or New England switched up and picked McCarthy. Shit like that happens every year with teams desperate to find their future at the position. I truly believe we will see a lot of QBs picked in the 1st rd. All these 3rd rd projections people are throwing around aren't likely to happen and I think probably 6 go in the 1st and maybe 2 more in the 2nd. Too many teams in need of a QB or in need if thinking about after this year like both NY teams. They're not waiting until mid rounds to see if someone falls into their lap, imo. It's way too early though and there will be a lot of shake-ups coming. Don't be surprised if a dark horse team emerges and makes a trade to move up for one too.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One of my favorite aspects of Michigan college football history is that when they were living it, Michigan fans almost universally wanted Tom Brady benched in favor of what would become a failed Yankees 3B prospect in Drew Henson. I’ll never forget that. Wolverine fans don’t know ball.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main thing McCarthy has going for him compared to the other 2 mid first round prospects his name is attached to is he won’t be close to 30 when his rookie deal is up.