• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The new footy thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*chuckle*

"Yo Everton, I did it..."

B7uVq-4CYAIhTol.jpg

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Women withdraw artificial turf complaint over 2015 World Cup - Article - TSN

The lawyer says the women's protest did accomplish some of its goals, including demonstrating that female athletes will not passively accept gender discrimination.

How is it gender discrimination when you knew all along that there would be matches played on artificial turf when Canada was awarded the Women's World Cup?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Women withdraw artificial turf complaint over 2015 World Cup - Article - TSN

The lawyer says the women's protest did accomplish some of its goals, including demonstrating that female athletes will not passively accept gender discrimination.

How is it gender discrimination when you knew all along that there would be matches played on artificial turf when Canada was awarded the Women's World Cup?

I guess because the athletes weren't involved in the selection process.

I'm assuming the basis of the statement is that men's WC doesn't allow for artificial surfaces?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess because the athletes weren't involved in the selection process.

I'm assuming the basis of the statement is that men's WC doesn't allow for artificial surfaces?

How about the basis that the Women's World Cup is to the Men's as the road hockey league in my neighbourhood is to the NHL?

It was fucking Canada or Zimbabwe. Be thankful they don't have to live in a mud hut for a month.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about the basis that the Women's World Cup is to the Men's as the road hockey league in my neighbourhood is to the NHL?

It was fucking Canada or Zimbabwe. Be thankful they don't have to live in a mud hut for a month.

Didn't Zimbabwe even withdraw their bid, leaving only Canada?

Anyhow, regardless of its place in comparison to the men's game, I don't think that's any reason that the athletes shouldn't be afforded the same basic courtesies and player protections. It is after all still the highest level tournament for the women.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd be more worried about being kidnapped or shot in Zimbabwe (it has to be in the top 20 of most dangerous countries on the planet). I also think the women soccer players are being naive if they didn't realize that games would be played on artificial turf when Canada was awarded the tourney. I guess if you feel so strongly about your stance, your team can always withdraw from the tourney.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Zimbabwe even withdraw their bid, leaving only Canada?

Anyhow, regardless of its place in comparison to the men's game, I don't think that's any reason that the athletes shouldn't be afforded the same basic courtesies and player protections. It is after all still the highest level tournament for the women.

Fine. Let FIFA foot the bill. Canada's stadiums are turf. My tax money shouldn't be spent on retrofitting stadiums for a tournament .005% of the population is excited to be hosting. It's bad enough that the god damned Pan Am Games are going to be fucking up my commute next June while eating dollars that could be spent on transit improvements and other infrastructure needs.

This is the ultimate beggars/choosers scenario.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

definitely ... ffs, the fledgling US womens pro league (which i guess is the best pro womens league in the world) plays on turf ... is their pro league discriminating them or not protecting them?

economics

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine. Let FIFA foot the bill. Canada's stadiums are turf. My tax money shouldn't be spent on retrofitting stadiums for a tournament .005% of the population is excited to be hosting. It's bad enough that the god damned Pan Am Games are going to be fucking up my commute next June while eating dollars that could be spent on transit improvements and other infrastructure needs.

If you're worried about your commute in June, I'm sure you're really looking forward to July when the games are actually taking place :whistle:

I only know when it's going on because I likely need to be in Toronto for work this summer and we're hoping we can schedule to stay away from the games.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're worried about your commute in June, I'm sure you're really looking forward to July when the games are actually taking place :whistle:

I only know when it's going on because I likely need to be in Toronto for work this summer and we're hoping we can schedule to stay away from the games.

Well shit. Good thing I didn't book my vacation time that I plan to use during the games yet.

But yeah, stay the fuck away during the games. This place is going to be a nightmare.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well shit. Good thing I didn't book my vacation time that I plan to use during the games yet.

But yeah, stay the fuck away during the games. This place is going to be a nightmare.

Unfortunately I don't get to decide. I do get to (constantly) remind those with some input into the process that the games are taking place.

I hope they listen.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds like the ladies are trying to credit their lawsuit for this :clap2: to them I guess ... it was already in the works before the lawsuit came about but :ohwell:

Women's WC players’ attorney Hampton Dellinger: "The deplorable artificial surface at BC Place, the site of the final, will be replaced.”

Status
Not open for further replies.