• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The new footy thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice 4-1 win today (okay it was against Crystal Palace), but a new record points total of 63 for Southampton in the Premier League. That former Oilers coach is doing a pretty good job.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manu will have to win the rescheduled game 19-0 to qualify for champs league

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update: Experts carried out a controlled explosion at OT on what has been described as an 'incredibly lifelike explosive device'.

The assessment has now concluded and found that the device wasn’t viable. A full search of the stadium is ongoing. More: Manchester United's Bournemouth match abandoned - Official Manchester United Website

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh wow (from the updated version of dash's link):

"Following today's controlled explosion, we have since found out that the item was a training device which had accidentally been left by a private company following a training exercise involving explosive search dogs.

"While this item did not turn out to be a viable explosive, on appearance this device was as real as could be, and the decision to evacuate the stadium was the right thing to do, until we could be sure that people were not at risk."

And there's this:
United will refund all tickets and allow ticket holders from both clubs to watch Tuesday's re-arranged game for free, while Manchester United season ticket holders will also be given a credit.

It is a gesture that is estimated will cost United around £3m.
I know I'm going out on a limb here, but I think they can afford it.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theo Walcott (former Southampton player) was a little more gracious:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised by this ... I mean you can question mls level of competition but that first goal he scored v the caps was world class
:noidea:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only that, but the Atomic Ant has either scored or assisted on every TFC goal this season.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only that, but the Atomic Ant has either scored or assisted on every TFC goal this season.
The defenders he's getting past to score those goals would be hard-pressed to make a Serie B squad. It's a gamble for Conte to consider him over guys playing on the continent, plain and simple.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defenders he's getting past to score those goals would be hard-pressed to make a Serie B squad. It's a gamble for Conte to consider him over guys playing on the continent, plain and simple.

I agree that it's a longshot for Seba to go to France, but to not even be named to the 30 man preliminary squad is a bit surprising.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it's a longshot for Seba to go to France, but to not even be named to the 30 man preliminary squad is a bit surprising.
Why waste his time? He's in the middle of his season, why drag him all the way out to Malta to play ten minutes in a friendly when he has almost no chance of changing anyone's mind?

If he was a midfielder, given the recent injuries, he might have had a better shot but as a forward Italy really isn't missing anybody else under consideration as far as I know.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why waste his time? He's in the middle of his season, why drag him all the way out to Malta to play ten minutes in a friendly when he has almost no chance of changing anyone's mind?

If he was a midfielder, given the recent injuries, he might have had a better shot but as a forward Italy really isn't missing anybody else under consideration as far as I know.

I've never been to Malta, but I hear it's quite nice.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I read that the official line is Gio and Pirlo are being held off the 30 man roster for the friendly because of club commitments (worth noting that NYCFC is top of their conference and TFC are 2 pts back with a game in hand) but are still under consideration for the final 23.

FWIW, just so the MLS-friendly contingent here don't think I'm going full Eurosnob, I'd probably take Gio as a bench option. It's not like Italy has Pippo/DP/Bobo/Frankie terrorizing defences these days and Gio's quickness can cause headaches. Even in a 3-4-3 he could sub easily for Insigne or Candreva/Bernardeschi/whoever the hell Conte puts on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.