• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I'd passed on watching Gone Baby Gone on cable several times thinking I'd seen it. My wife said let's watch it last night. I said I've seen it but it was good and awhile ago, so ok. I soon realized I hadn't seen it.
Yeah, took me a minute to watch Gone Girl because I thought it was a cheesy chick flick at first lol. Wife had the book, but I always thought it was one of those silly, girly-style books like Twilight or something. Boy was I wrong, if you didn't notice from my Top 10 Drama thread, Gone Girl made #9. Like I said, it is really good.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tenet - **deep sigh** oh my goodness. This was a weird one. I watched with the wife, who repeatedly said how lost she was, but I was able to follow along and pick up on the timeline in that I knew who would be where before they actually showed it. Such as the Protagonist fighting himself at the 'warehouse', Kat on the boat, Neil being recruited, etc... BUT at the end, I still felt lost in how it came together.... like the grandfather paradox (which was rightly explained) suddenly became erased from the story. The story is somewhat intriguing, but in my opinion, it is too convoluted for it basically being a movie about stopping an arms dealer/ end of the world scenario. The acting was spotty at times. I like John David Washington, but he isn't as strong as his father and does not carry the same charisma throughout the film. He is young, plenty of time to come into that though. Pattinson did ok, but his character also felt misplaced... he is somewhat of a badass and yet also a great physicist, strange combination. The use and lack of use of oxygen when going back or not made it more confusing. I liked that touch, because it makes sense on that butterfly effect level, but it made things more difficult to follow I think. IDK, this definitely needs more than one watch through and idk when that will come. As of right now....

6.5/10 - it was decent, but I thought Inception was told better though I would also say that these are not really comparable stories.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tenet - **deep sigh** oh my goodness. This was a weird one. I watched with the wife, who repeatedly said how lost she was, but I was able to follow along and pick up on the timeline in that I knew who would be where before they actually showed it. Such as the Protagonist fighting himself at the 'warehouse', Kat on the boat, Neil being recruited, etc... BUT at the end, I still felt lost in how it came together.... like the grandfather paradox (which was rightly explained) suddenly became erased from the story. The story is somewhat intriguing, but in my opinion, it is too convoluted for it basically being a movie about stopping an arms dealer/ end of the world scenario. The acting was spotty at times. I like John David Washington, but he isn't as strong as his father and does not carry the same charisma throughout the film. He is young, plenty of time to come into that though. Pattinson did ok, but his character also felt misplaced... he is somewhat of a badass and yet also a great physicist, strange combination. The use and lack of use of oxygen when going back or not made it more confusing. I liked that touch, because it makes sense on that butterfly effect level, but it made things more difficult to follow I think. IDK, this definitely needs more than one watch through and idk when that will come. As of right now....

6.5/10 - it was decent, but I thought Inception was told better though I would also say that these are not really comparable stories.

This basically sums the movie up for me as well.

I spent like half the movie wondering truly what in the hell was going on. And as you said, the end was kinda a mess. But ironically at the same time I was also able to properly predict a bunch of those "twists" well before they came.

Just weird watching a movie where I feel like I don't know whats happening in the moment but have an idea of whats coming next.

Definitely no where near Inception for me. Which was always going to be tough to top, way better cast.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My son and his girlfriend are here for the weekend. She used her code and set up amazon prime for us.

What are some of the movies/series I should be looking for?

Here are some decent series.

The Boys
The Man in the High Castle
The Marvelous Miss Maisal
The Expanse

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy Rich Asians - It is a cute story about a girl that heads overseas to meet her boyfriend's family, but she comes to find out that they are the mega-rich of Asia. It is pretty much that fish out of water experience that ultimately concludes with her ability to persevere and get through her true feelings to the family who either think she is a golddigger or just unworthy. It is one of those movies where nothing is really bad, yet nothing really stands out. The acting was good, but the story doesn't really allow for any wowing moments. The story is rather cliche, but is also told through the lens of Chinese culture so it does have a different aspect in that respect. The locations were beautiful. The only thing that really felt out of place was the opening scene. It reeked of racism, but never really did or meant anything. There are no other hints of racism throughout or that it is a factor at all for any character. I am sure it was placed to demonstrate the toughness of the mother/family, but nothing of it felt genuine and it actually felt forced, like how can we put one thing about racism in here.

Again, nothing memorable, but nothing bad. 6 or 7 out of 10.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soul. Good Pixar movie. The afterlife stuff was a touch disjointed but necessary and funny.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A 6.5 is around what I'd give it as well. I do agree that it feels like it's a movie that you'd need to view a few times to fully comprehend all of it. Not my favorite Nolan movie but definitely don't feel like it's the worst I've seen either.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just finished season 1 of Ray Donovan. I am hooked.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched His House on Netflix, RT has this at 100% certified fresh so I thought I would check it out.

In one sentence without giving anything away it is... A story about 2 refugees that are seeking asylum in England that are also haunted by their past.

I am being purposefully vague because I don't recall anyone posting about it yet. It is very well acted and generally and it looks good, there were some really nice transition scenes. It comes with a twist, an original story, and playing off of those... an ending that I wasn't sure the movie would do, but happy it did. It has some slight gore, some jump scares, and the movie primarily takes place in the house... and mostly one area of the house... because of that, even though I liked a lot about the movie, it still felt somewhat unfulfilled by the end. I wanted more out of the story and even though some scenes showed us what led them there and why these things are happening to them, I still felt that in the end it was a very basic or blase ghost story.

7 out of 10. Enjoyable.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am 45 minutes into Birds of Prey and this movie is fucking awful (still watching as I am typing this). It is incredibly annoying that movies get good reviews or praise based on its political or social message. Putting that silly fucking girl power message aside, this movie is still hot garbage. The acting is lacking, the action fight scenes feel like a BAD professional wrestling match, the story, as well as the writing and character arcs, are incredibly bad. It is as if DC regressed and went back to making the Kilmer and Clooney style batmans. It's all about bright colors.

I know some people have seen this and provided their review, please tell me ONE redeeming quality of this film aside from production value (even though quality is lacking in some points) and Margot Robbie being the beauty she is. Honestly, this is probably the worst blockbuster-style movie I have seen in a long while.

As of right now, 3 out of 10.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Vast of Night... has anyone seen this yet? You can check it out on Amazon Prime.

It opens as if it is an episode of a show from the era, and it occassionaly bounces around to this mode of filming...
0*Dp6uMj8JTdTHXy0E.png

It is set in smalltown New Mexico in the 1950's and is about a 16-year-old switchboard operator and a local radio dj as they discover a strange frequency and attempt to make sense of it leading them down an interesting path. Given the context, you can already guess that this is about aliens. This is a fun film where it is truly about the adventure and not the payoff. The pacing is good, the characters keep it interesting. It is well acted, the production is good, the writing is good - they really gathered how people spoke back then which is nice.

It is a little Aaron Sorkin-y. For those that don't know what that means, basically you need to be paying attention. The characters speak fast and speak often. Typically I like Sorkins works (this one isn't), but it has to fit. Here it felt like too much, it didn't feel natural. Also, if you watch this movie, take the title as a hint... you better have all the lights off and no glare, because this movie is dark. I had all the lights off and still found it difficult to make some things out.

Fun movie. Ending was a little blah, but you totally see it coming. 7 out of 10.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scanners

I assume most have already seen this and/or at least know what it's about. Anyway, has decent practical effects, some pretty bad acting at parts - specifically from the lead. Interesting story. Interesting ending, could be open to a sequel... though it's been 40 years lol. Not that bad, nothing amazing...

5 out of 10. I feel I am being generous here, but whatever.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Episode 1: Phantom Menace.

First time seeing this since release. The overall structure of the movie is a good idea but every sequence has something that doesn't work. The gungans single handedly tank the movie. Every scene with the two main Jedi are interesting enough, though. Pod racing didn't age well at all. Dialogue mostly stinks.

D+

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Episode 2.

When I saw this in theaters, I thought it was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen but watching it now and Phantom Menace is worse. Ep 2 is actually halfway decent at the geeky stuff. The romance just bogs down the movie. Anakin can't act, no chemistry, bad dialogue...the whole thing is a mistake. You cut out the 20 minutes of that and it's a serviceable Star Wars flick.

C

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Episode 2.

When I saw this in theaters, I thought it was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen but watching it now and Phantom Menace is worse. Ep 2 is actually halfway decent at the geeky stuff. The romance just bogs down the movie. Anakin can't act, no chemistry, bad dialogue...the whole thing is a mistake. You cut out the 20 minutes of that and it's a serviceable Star Wars flick.

C
The Clone Wars animated series really does a lot to save this movie in particular, but all the prequels as well. If you haven’t watch the Clone Wars, I STRONGLY recommend it.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Clone Wars animated series really does a lot to save this movie in particular, but all the prequels as well. If you haven’t watch the Clone Wars, I STRONGLY recommend it.
I'm watching Star Wars in order (to my knowledge) so the Animated Series is next up.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Star Wars Rise of the Jedi
Avengers Endgame
Frozen 2
The Croods 2
Lion King
The News of the World-Tom Hanks new movie