• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The John Stockton Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the push off comment, the part where he taught his son about competitiveness/no-excuses teaching moment story, the dunk story, the part where he said the media during the NBA Finals were just distractions (he was so focused on preparing that it was just a get-this-over-with period where others were "wow, I'm famous"), the comment that he moved on from the push off, I mean, the game winner by Jordan because competitively he thought he'd get another chance - looking forward, yeah, pretty much all of it.

I loved the talk about the angles of making passes, on how it was fun and how you had to know how to do that and how the other player had to know angles, too. I hope that he teaches or has taught that to Trey Burke (or maybe Marcus Smart), though I would never expect him to get as good as Stockton was at it. I don't know how you teach that, but emphasizing it and film would be good.

As much as I like and trust Snyder, I wish Stockton were our coach. I wanted that more than Alex Smith winning a Super Bowl (but not more than wanting the Jazz win it all with Stockton and Malone).

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is great. His press conference was perfect, the standing ovation classy (kind of emotional when I saw it live, though I haven't cried over sports), and the announcement ("I think I'm finished") and last answer ("you've got to stop asking me these tough questions because I've got get through this") gets to me every time. Larry Miller's comment on how long a highlight video would be and Malone saying that Stockton tried to make everyone an All-Star was true (not literally everyone, just he made everyone better by assisting).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this report of a death hoax is a hoax or not (as in, no such rumor), but if it was reported, it's not funny. I don't think they ever are funny. Some people font check back, it's jinxing perhaps (don't really believe in jinxes as it has no scientific support - only jinxing yourself works by making you so nervous that you screw up), etc.

John Stockton dead 2014 : Basketball player killed by celebrity death hoax - Mediamass

Look at the other headlines below. That's why I think that it's a hoax that there ever was such death hoax.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I like and trust Snyder, I wish Stockton were our coach. I wanted that more than Alex Smith winning a Super Bowl (but more than wanting the Jazz win it all with Stockton and Malone).

Did you mean "I wish Stockton were our coach . I wanted that more than XYZ (but NOT more than wanting the Jazz win it all with Stockton and Malone).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you mean "I wish Stockton were our coach . I wanted that more than XYZ (but NOT more than wanting the Jazz win it all with Stockton and Malone).

Yes. Fixed.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't usually do this (specifically ask a specific person), but Nuraman, what are your thoughts about this interview or any of the responses?

NOTE: Bumping this for myself. Will try to get back to it by next weekend.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MHSL82, you made a post within the past few weeks involving Carter-Williams. Something about caring for Burke and NOT Carter-Williams. Perhaps you said "MCW".

Can you find and bump that post?

I can't find it.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MHSL82, you made a post within the past few weeks involving Carter-Williams. Something about caring for Burke and NOT Carter-Williams. Perhaps you said "MCW".

Can you find and bump that post?

I can't find it.

Here you go. It was in regard to Jeremy Lin. I still have a longer response that I have not sent regarding him, but will soon.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/5024542-post34.html

Here is the text from the post you were referring to:

I don't care if he's any good. I just want to have him play every day starting. It gives me something to look at daily (box scores) and games when they are national. I used to track him and his play. I have less time now with the kids and his benching was the straw that broke the camels back. He's fallen into the realm of "do they really want him?" or "are they limiting him?"

To me, it doesn't matter if they are or are not, it's tainted. To me, it doesn't matter if his playing justifies it or not, it's tainted. They signed him to a deal to start and now I question if they are doing what they can to make it work. Maybe it's better for Houston, but I'm not a Houston fan and they are not doing things to make it work for him (I saw a lot of comments when he was benched saying Houston knew they made a mistake when they really benched him to help the second team and play him when he could have the ball and not Harden). I'm looking for what is best for Lin. He averaged more as a starter. (Not talking splits as I feel he'd have to be permanent starter, not when Beverley is injured starter, for me to think they are working it around him.)

His deal was pre-Harden and they didn't start off well together - but they had a much better second half of 2012 than first half (or 12 terrible first games to be more precise). Just continue that plus Howard.

I watch for different reasons than most. That's why I like Burke more than Carter-Williams or Deron Williams for that matter when he was here. That's why I couldn't stand Jimmer Fredette even if he were good. Stay away, I want to root for my players.

I will never care about what Houston as a team does, just get Lin to start somewhere in the right system and coaching and watch from afar (don't need him on the Jazz because the interests would f*** with each other - I'd have to care if his play cost the Jazz. I might have to support benching him for the good of the team. Screw that. Play somewhere else and start in a good system/coaching that believe in you. Stay healthy.).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stockton likes coaching his daughter, and his kids. :)

Curse his family values! (Note: This is different than cursing his family.) Doesn't he know my personal desires are his and everyone in the Jazz organization's (and SportsHoopla's) priorities?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this report of a death hoax is a hoax or not (as in, no such rumor), but if it was reported, it's not funny. I don't think they ever are funny. Some people font check back, it's jinxing perhaps (don't really believe in jinxes as it has no scientific support - only jinxing yourself works by making you so nervous that you screw up), etc.

John Stockton dead 2014 : Basketball player killed by celebrity death hoax - Mediamass

Look at the other headlines below. That's why I think that it's a hoax that there ever was such death hoax.

Another fake report. They say he's made his money from Cover Girl endorsements. He did like to wear short skirts, err, shorts but I don't think he was that girly.

John Stockton Highest-Paid Basketball player in the World - Mediamass

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1