• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Giants would be wise to sign Tanaka

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only is the guy a top notch pitcher but there is a huge Asian following of the Giants and the marketing of Tanaka would go through the roof. They will be able to make some of the money back in marketing.The Giants need that one pitcher to put them back in the playoffs next year and Tanaka could be the guy. The Giants also have to keep the Dodgers from signing Tanaka. He might be the right guy at the right time for the organization.

Any thoughts?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only is the guy a top notch pitcher but there is a huge Asian following of the Giants and the marketing of Tanaka would go through the roof. They will be able to make some of the money back in marketing.The Giants need that one pitcher to put them back in the playoffs next year and Tanaka could be the guy. The Giants also have to keep the Dodgers from signing Tanaka. He might be the right guy at the right time for the organization.

Any thoughts?

It depends on how the posting system is finalized (the contract with the Japanese League expires this year). If the system is revamped, as some are reporting, to the top three posting bids are allowed to negotiate with the player -- then we might be able to get in with the yanka$$ and doyer$. If they renew the agreement on its current terms we have almost no chance as both those teams can bid tremendous dollars as a posting fee to insure exclusivity. And since they will both be in on Tanaka, you can be assured that they both are going to try to outbid each other.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's going to be phenomenally expensive. However, I don't know our revenue situation. We may be making much more in TV revenue than we fans may know. If the Dogies are making $250mm/yr from TV, maybe we are making half that much (though I doubt it).

Maybe it's enough to shell out $50mm down and $25mm/yr. Who knows, except a handful of guys in the FO?

Maybe we have spent just enough in the last few years to get WC's in 2010 and 2012, and they are making $50mm/yr profit. Unlikely, but who knows? Maybe revenue skyrocketed the last few years. Maybe the owners got together and said "Hey, Neuk, we know you're making $100mm/yr free cash flow, but if you spend too much on payroll, you'll win too much, and it will upset the balance and baseball will ruined. So wait a year before you make a big splash again." So 2013 happened, and maybe now Neuk's got the green light.

Who knows?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's going to be phenomenally expensive. However, I don't know our revenue situation. We may be making much more in TV revenue than we fans may know. If the Dogies are making $250mm/yr from TV, maybe we are making half that much (though I doubt it).

Maybe it's enough to shell out $50mm down and $25mm/yr. Who knows, except a handful of guys in the FO?

Maybe we have spent just enough in the last few years to get WC's in 2010 and 2012, and they are making $50mm/yr profit. Unlikely, but who knows? Maybe revenue skyrocketed the last few years. Maybe the owners got together and said "Hey, Neuk, we know you're making $100mm/yr free cash flow, but if you spend too much on payroll, you'll win too much, and it will upset the balance and baseball will ruined. So wait a year before you make a big splash again." So 2013 happened, and maybe now Neuk's got the green light.

Who knows?

That would be such bullshit, if the owners told me not to spend too much and wait a year to make a big splash, I'd laugh in their face and tell them to kick rocks

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you're right, because we all know beyond all reasonable doubt that baseball owners would never collude on anything.

Arbitrator Finds 3d Case of Baseball Collusion - NYTimes.com

Dayum! You keep bringing up facts. It ruins the whole wishful thinking prejudices in posts.

Well played.

Also, if you are a GM and tell the owners they can kick rocks, the only thing you'd be GM of is your fantasy teams. Which, BTW, don't pay nearly as well as having a real job making real world decisions.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dayum! You keep bringing up facts. It ruins the whole wishful thinking prejudices in posts.

Well played.

Also, if you are a GM and tell the owners they can kick rocks, the only thing you'd be GM of is your fantasy teams. Which, BTW, don't pay nearly as well as having a real job making real world decisions.

You moderators need to be more attentive when reviewing credentials before you allow outsiders to post here. I'll bet that guy wasn't even certified.

:lol:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, that is a 25 year old story, and the Angels, Spankees, and Red Sux all make continued "splashes".

Also, Neuk was "fired" a couple years ago. He actually liquidated his holdings in the org afterward. Larry Baer took over as the CEO/President.