• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The General Manager Thread

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Here's the list of the 32 GMs in the NFL as of July 2013:

49ers: Trent Baalke
Bears: Phil Emery
Bengals: Mike Brown*
Bills Bills Bills: Doug Whaley
Broncos: John Elway
Browns: Michael Lombardi
Buccaneers: Mark Dominik
Cardinals: Steve Keim
Chargers: Tom Telesco
Chiefs: John Dorsey
Colts: Ryan Grigson
Cowboys: Jerry Jones*
Dolphins: Jeff Ireland
Eagles: Howie Roseman
Falcons: Thomas Dimitroff
Giants: Jerry Reese
J-E-T-S: John Idzik
Lions: Martin Mayhew
Packers: Ted Thompson
Panthers: Dave Gettleman
Patriots: Sith lord Belichick
Rams: Les Snead
Ravens: Ozzie Newsome
Raiders: Reggie McKenzie
Redskins: Mike Shannahan
Saints: Mickey Loomis
Seahawks: John Schneider
Steelers: Kevin Colbert
Texans: Rick Smith
Titans: Ruston Webster
Vikings: Rick Spielman

*Owner

...Correct me if I got any of these names wrong. Some teams may have changed responsibilities without my noticing or don't have an official GM, etc.

So who are some of the guys you think are doing a great job? And who are some you think are terrible? I think Ozzie Newsome is the gold standard for GMs in the NFL. I've thought that since he put together that SB team in 2000. He's just consistently made decisions that have made the Ravens a great franchise.

Personally, I think Eagles' GM Howie Roseman is a disaster. Giving Michael Vick 100 million dollars? Giving Connor Barwin 6 million a season? I went on and on about how I think it would be stupid for the Niners to sign Nnamdi in 2011, and Howie goes ahead does exactly that. He hasn't been atrocious in the draft, but he hasn't been good either. I think he's doing a terrible job.

I can't endorse anyone who sticks with a mediocre QB; otherwise I'd love what Mike Brown's doing in Cinci'. He's been taking some of my favourite draft prospects over the last 5 years or so. Particularly Mike Johnson & Carlos Dunlap. Those were guys who had no business being on the board when the Bengals picked IMO. He found Geno Atkins in the 5th (wow) to make a pretty formidable D-line. I think taking Tyler Eifert was brilliant, and he's the guy I would want if I couldn't have Eric Reid (Vance McDonald made it easier to not have Eifert). However, I think the cardinal sin of GMs (no pun intended) is to stick with a QB who's decent but never great. Andy Dalton's not a bad QB; but it's better to have a terrible QB than an average one IMO.

Jerry Jones is killing the Cowboys IMO. He has the same QB problem IMO, and he's sticking with Romo. Big mistake. Romo can be better than Dalton at times, but eventually you have to realize it aint working. If I were Jerry Jones, I would fire the ginger head coach & try to hire Nick Saban after the season; I think that would be a perfect match for them. I'd then hire a GM.

Dolphins' GM Jeff Ireland is the anti-Baalke IMO. He's constantly drafting guys with high floors, but he never seems to swing for the fences with a potential superstar IMO. Just like in football, sometimes it's better to be LUCKy than good (pun intended for Ryan Grigson), so his legacy will largely depend on Ryan Tannehill (whilc was a great draft pick IMO; as hard as it is to find a great QB you gotta pull the trigger when a prospect like that is there). So if he struck gold with Tannehill, he'll look brilliant. His non-QB picks have been pretty uninspiring though, and I would be very frustrated to have him as a GM if I were a Dolphins fan (I'd forgive him if Tannehill works out though).

Giants' GM Jerry Reese might be a little overrated IMO (even though he got the steal of the draft in John Hankins IMO). I think Coughlin makes his players look a lot better than they are. He's a good GM, but I wouldn't put his drafts in the level of the top guys IMO.

Bucc's Mark Dominik needs to be fired IMO. Going with Josh Freeman in the first place was a huge mistake IMO. But anyone who drafts Mark Barron at #7 and trades that king's ransom for Darrelle Revis does not deserve to be a GM IMO.

Doing a great job IMO: Ted Thompson, Ryan Grigson, Ruston Webster & some other obvious ones (although if Ruston Webster pushed Jeff Fisher out the door he's crazy; don't know whose decision that was).

Just some of my thoughts on the current GMs in the NFL. What are some of yours?

Last edited by a moderator:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that chick from Hard Knocks was the Bengals GM? Oh, nevermind, that is his daughter, Katie Blackburn, and according to Wikipedia her responsibilities include negotiating all player contracts. See, I saw her doing that and assumed she was the GM since they normally do that, right?

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that chick from Hard Knocks was the Bengals GM? Oh, nevermind, that is his daughter, Katie Blackburn, and according to Wikipedia her responsibilities include negotiating all player contracts. See, I saw her doing that and assumed she was the GM since they normally do that, right?

Not sure if GMs normally negotiate contracts but Paraag Marathe is our negotiator. Baalke is involved but Paragg does the most.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Schneider in Seattle has completely turned around a dismal roster in about 3 years to where now the Seahawks are being touted as one of the top teams in the league.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 10 GMs IMO in no particular order:

Bengals: Mike Brown

With Newsome being the best overall & Baalke & Schneider the best the last few years.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Top 10 GMs IMO in no particular order:

Bengals: Mike Brown

With Newsome being the best overall & Baalke & Schneider the best the last few years.

Isn't that alphabetical order by team?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
John Elway???

Because he was lucky enough that Peyton Manning signed with Denver?

I think Elway still has a lot to prove as a GM.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Elway???

Because he was lucky enough that Peyton Manning signed with Denver?

I think Elway still has a lot to prove as a GM.

True but I did need 10 GMs thought about Ryan Grigson instead of Elway but the same argument could be made as you eloquently stated that he got LUCKy with Andrew Luck

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers GM probably deserves some top 10 love, started in 2000 and put together 2 Super Bowl winning teams and made a 3rd appearance that they lost to GB.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Steelers GM probably deserves some top 10 love, started in 2000 and put together 2 Super Bowl winning teams and made a 3rd appearance that they lost to GB.

Easily. Colbert knows his stuff. I don't know how he does it & still has time to do the Colbert Report at night. :)

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colbert is one of the best in the league and much like the Ravens, always seems to see need players drop into his lap despite mostly drafting in the 20's. He deserves to be on that list over quite a few different GMs on that list.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Colbert is one of the best in the league and much like the Ravens, always seems to see need players drop into his lap despite mostly drafting in the 20's. He deserves to be on that list over quite a few different GMs on that list.

He's great at getting the best value for his pick.

His worst pick was Limas Sweed though IMO. I thought that pick was beneath him. Not that he didn't have other busts, but that one was just uninspired IMO. But if you look at his first-round picks since 2000, you can't really find one guy who's a total bust. That's friggn' impressive.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry is the worst GM in football. Until he realizes it the Cowboys will go nowhere. I'm interested in what Lombardi and Idzik do. Idzik inherited straight trash from the previous regime. Lombardi always talks a big game. It'll be fun to watch to see if he can back it up. He kinda reminds me of a message board GM. .

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My top 10 in no order:
49ers: Trent Baalke (not be a homer but I think he is one of the best)
Bengals: Mike Brown* (doesnt get enough credit)
Broncos: John Elway (put together a nice team)
Colts: Ryan Grigson ( team is always in it and rebounded quick from manning)
Giants: Jerry Reese (has done a nice job drafting)
Packers: Ted Thompson (Good job overall)
Patriots: Sith lord Belichick (well he is the best in the game)
Ravens: Ozzie Newsome (I give him alot of credit. Won a SB and now has rebuild the team)
Seahawks: John Schneider (Overall good job. Now just needs to win some Big games)
Steelers: Kevin Colbert (always in it and draft well)

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its funny that Brown is on these list. While he is doing a rely good job recently he's been a joke up until the last 3-5 years. Gotta wonder is he making all the picks?

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why all the love for Elway? Hasn't he only been GM for like 2 years? He was there for their 2 best players tho. Signing Manning was huge but the Broncos were the best option for Manning so I only give Elway a little bit of the credit there. Drafting Miller was nice but did anyone else from the class do anything? I know Moore is the moron who can't defend a Hail Mary. When Manning leaves will determine is Elway is a top GM.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that it took rocket science to do the things that Elway did, I would agree that I don't understand the love.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't jump on me Im just going to turn it around. U talk about Eway but Baalke has only been GM for what 2 years. I think Eway has done a lot since he has been there. Made the playoffs with Tebow and then traded him. Overall I think Eway is 100% in the Top 10. Before he was there they weren't that good.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be very interesting to see what Reggie McKenzie can do for the Raiders. Al Davis' son is inept when it comes to the ins and outs of football and can he stay out of the daily football operations long enough to let McKenzie do what needs to be done? The younger Davis has already fired the teams PR guy for a less than flattering SI article that came out a few months ago about the dysfunction within the Raiders' organization. It will be interesting. But as a Charger fan, there is nothing more enjoyable than watching the Raider Nation flounder around.