• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Five Most Overrated Classic Rock Artists

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really consider The Beatles or The Beach Boys (someone else mentioned them) classic rock.
Eh, I mean what else are they then?

I'd call Chuck Berry classic rock.

I'd also call Chuck Berry a distinguished gentlemen who enjoyed sucking the farts out of a hooker's ass.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, I mean what else are they then?

I'd call Chuck Berry classic rock.

I'd also call Chuck Berry a distinguished gentlemen who enjoyed sucking the farts out of a hooker's ass.

I don't know...early rock? They're style was mostly pop...AM radio stuff if you will.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Van Halen was a big fuckin' deal when they first got big. Opened for Sabbath in the late Ozzy years right before Ozzy got kicked out and blew them off the stage.

I guess you can take that with a grain of salt though, I'm basing this off of what multiple old fucks have told me.

I know they were a very big deal with a very big sound and great guitar player. I was just wondering what the other guy thought was different or innovative or "changed hard rock music" about them. They ushered in "Hair Metal" ? They can roast forever if that's their big claim to fame, but they were a lot better than most of that crap.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really consider The Beatles or The Beach Boys (someone else mentioned them) classic rock.
The Beatles and Beach Boys were pop rock.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know they were a very big deal with a very big sound and great guitar player. I was just wondering what the other guy thought was different or innovative or "changed hard rock music" about them. They ushered in "Hair Metal" ? They can roast forever if that's their big claim to fame, but they were a lot better than most of that crap.
Bon Jovi is the worst classic rock band ever.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll toss in The Doobie Brothers after Old McDonald joined the band and fucked them up.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bon Jovi is the worst classic rock band ever.

I can't take any of those fake R&R, pop, hair-metal poseurs .. from the late 70s probably until Guns & Roses showed them how to do that right, that junk dominated the R&R airwaves. I wasn't a big fan of Guns & Roses either but at least they were attempting to raise the hair metal game and do legit rock & roll.

Reactions: GNG

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know...early rock? They're style was mostly pop...AM radio stuff if you will.
They did definitely have more a pop sound I guess. I've just always heard them referred to as classic rock.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I couldn't really get too specific with it because I think you had to be around the music scene at the time to really get it.

I'd agree they contributed to spawning hair metal but I never really considered them a hair metal band.

I know there are several groups that fall into the hair metal category due to their appearance, but I usually associate hair metal more with the sound of the band than anything. And maybe that's not really correct.

So for instance I don't really consider Van Halen, Def Leppard, or Motley Crue pure hair metal bands because I feel a lot of their stuff falls close to hard rock despite their appearance.

For me Hair Metal is generally reserved for gay shit like Bon Jovi and Poison. Actually Bon Jovi deserves to be included in this thread if they fall under the category of classic rock.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Heart" is a favorite of mine but I consider them a power balad act rather than classic rock.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KISS is getting more hate than I would have thought. I remember being into them as a young kid, then thinking they sucked, and now I'm starting to appreciate them again.

Black Diamond, Strutter, God of Thunder, man they got some good shit even if a few of their songs are over played.

I can get them being overrated though.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alice Cooper did the whole stage theatrics thing before Kiss came around. His music was better too. Maybe if I was 10 instead of 20 when they hit the scene I would have been a fan, but I doubt it. "Kiss is for Kids" was the saying.

Do people who were Kiss fans back then still actually listen to their music ?

They all kind of borrowed the idea or were influenced somewhat by Arthur Brown.