• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Defense Rests

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salo - Erhoff
Ballard - Hamhuis
Edler - Bieksa
OBrien

$25M in 7 dmen I believe. that is second in the league Toronto is first for money in Dmen.

I look at it and well dont see a chicago defense but who does when you have Keith/Seabrook

I see a solid D but I have seen that the last 2 years and they both failed miserably. maybe the Ballard/Hamhuis additions will change that thought process. Im looking forward to it but still think we are very weak on the bottom 6 of our forward depth.

what say you?

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think our D is fine, if healthy. And would have been much better when healthy the last couple of years, too. Take any couple of top-four D's off any team and they would probably fail miserably as well.

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oh, and Bieksa (if still here this year), Salo, and Ehrhoff all have UFA status next summer. We may have overpayed a little bit for Ballard/Hamhuis, but, other than Edler (who hits UFA two summers from now) there are no other legit top-four D-men under contract after this season.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Ehrhoff resigning here as he will get top 2 status. Salo will be gone as we cant afford his injuries anymore. doesnt Edler have 3 years left?

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My bad, Edler has three years left. And Salo is just fine as a 5/6 D-man with PP time, but if he does accept that role he may have to accept 5/6 payscale next summer. Yes, Ehrhoff is a great player and one I'd like to re-sign, but, his contract will be bigger than Hamhuis'. Maybe a kid or two will break out and become legit in the next couple of years, but, I'd rather my top four be a legit NHL top four. Kids can take their shots at impressing the brass during the inevitable injuries.

jojoh07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I dont know what it is about but I think Rome will be a solid 5, 6 , 7 guy , Yes he did look bad in some earlier games last year but just like OBrien he came into his own in the 2nd half and did not look as nervous .

Guys with lower end salary like Rome are pivotal parts of good depth cause going into this season 25 mil is just too much for that top 7 especially with thee-signing of our RFA (Raymond in particular) Hence making the Bieksa movement very important priority for Gillis.