• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Catch II

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young always seemed to find a way in big games to do just enough to get the team beat. Them's the facts.

Yes it is his fault Hearst broke his ankle in '98. Also his fault he didn't re-sign Watters and busted his ribs in '96

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it is his fault Hearst broke his ankle in '98. Also his fault he didn't re-sign Watters and busted his ribs in '96

Its his fault that he wasn't good enough to win without Hearst.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBs like Matt Cavanaugh and Steve Bono had similar success filing in with the same talent in the niners system. The big difference will always be how they played in big games and Joe was the better big game QB.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had WHAT now?

maybe it was hyperbole but don't you remember all the announcers fawning over how the niners offense didn't miss a beat when either Joe or Steve were injured?

Bono's 91 season got him an eventual starting gig with the chiefs

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
maybe it was hyperbole but don't you remember all the announcers fawning over how the niners offense didn't miss a beat when either Joe or Steve were injured?

Bono's 91 season got him an eventual starting gig with the chiefs

And the Pats' offense was still great with Cassell, but let's not get carried away here. This is kind of a weak point.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Pats' offense was still great with Cassell, but let's not get carried away here. This is kind of a weak point.

Just pointing out that what matters most is the QB play during the most meaningful games.

Some folks tie success directly to stats alone, but more importantly its the context in which those stats were obtained in.

Joe rose to the occasion in big games more than Steve.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Joe rose to the occasion in big games more than Steve.

True. And Joe was the greatest who ever played. I just like to point out that Steve got a bit of a screw job by having to back Joe up for all those years. Joe had more chances to show his greatness.

Also, I don't remember Joe losing his 2 of the best players on the team right before the playoffs start like Steve did in '97 & '98.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. And Joe was the greatest who ever played. I just like to point out that Steve got a bit of a screw job by having to back Joe up for all those years. Joe had more chances to show his greatness.

Also, I don't remember Joe losing his 2 of the best players on the team right before the playoffs start like Steve did in '97 & '98.

Yeah, it shouldn't be a knock on Steve. It was an almost impossible task to match what Joe did.

Steve was a victim of circumstances. Just missed the 3 peat and then with Joe hurt, missed the playoffs?! As a spoiled niner fan, that was inconceivable.

Then he couldn't beat the Cowboys until we got Deion and Norton from them. Steve could have easily maybe 3 rings himself if he got a few breaks

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elliott had 7 total carries in '81. He didn't even play in the Super Bowl. It would be nice if you actually knew what you were talking about and if you could understand my point. Montana had a much better coach and supporting cast for a larger stretch of his career. And that is the facts.

I agree. Without Walsh, the 49ers do not win 5 Super Bowls.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it shouldn't be a knock on Steve. It was an almost impossible task to match what Joe did.

Steve was a victim of circumstances. Just missed the 3 peat and then with Joe hurt, missed the playoffs?! As a spoiled niner fan, that was inconceivable.

Then he couldn't beat the Cowboys until we got Deion and Norton from them. Steve could have easily maybe 3 rings himself if he got a few breaks

With those losses, it made it sweeter when he got it (but yes, I'd still rather have three). Alex could have had one if a few breaks went his way, so three for Young would have felt more correct (I'm not saying Smith is proportionally 1/3 of Young). Alex did have a lot align for him for us to have the success we did last year, but just one or two more (a lot of teams can say that, see: Ravens 2012). I hope we don't say that about Kaep this year.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve could have easily maybe 3 rings himself if he got a few breaks

And Joe cound have had 6 or 7 Rings but for the same few breaks. Wow, 6 or 7 Rings for Joe and you are comparing Steve Young to him - Ahhaha, this is fun!

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Without Walsh, the 49ers do not win 5 Super Bowls.

Football 101 - Coaches are strategic - players are tactical. The relationship is symbiotic.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Young got a screw job - LMMFAO!!! The only one's who got a screw job were the fans when the 49ers traded Montana to KC and started Young. We lost out on at least another 2 or 3 Super Bowls!

Young never got screwed out of anything - He got LUCKy when Montana became injured. Young was the back-up QB for a reason kid.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Joe cound have had 6 or 7 Rings but for the same few breaks. Wow, 6 or 7 Rings for Joe and you are comparing Steve Young to him - Ahhaha, this is fun!

Recheck my stance on this. Joe was the best ever

I'm saying that the teams Steve had in the mid to late 90s were flawed but capable of winning it all.

Joe was coming back from a serious injury and the niner mantra from the dynasty teams was to always let players go before they were last their prime.

Right around the QB switch, the league was changing. The WCO wasn't as innovative and the rest of the league caught up with them.

I didn't want them to trade Joe but I understood why they made the change.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recheck my stance on this. Joe was the best ever

I'm saying that the teams Steve had in the mid to late 90s were flawed but capable of winning it all.

Joe was coming back from a serious injury and the niner mantra from the dynasty teams was to always let players go before they were last their prime.

Right around the QB switch, the league was changing. The WCO wasn't as innovative and the rest of the league caught up with them.

I didn't want them to trade Joe but I understood why they made the change.

Dude, you seem like a nice kid, but I think you're off with your facts a little. First of all, we ran the exact same offense with Young. Second, many of the players from the '80's & '90's retired as 49ers or close thereto.

You are making excuses for Steve's ineptness - I get it and I agree, Young absolutely needs those excuses in order to get even close to your fantasy of what you think Steve was.

Although Montana needs zero excuses, my point is simply this; if we were to afford similar BS excuses to Montana we find that Steve falls even further behind Montana - it doesn't add up.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
steve young was screwed over by the cap. no running game and lack of corners hurt big time. not to mention some of the free agent signings were horrible.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young got a screw job - LMMFAO!!! The only one's who got a screw job were the fans when the 49ers traded Montana to KC and started Young. We lost out on at least another 2 or 3 Super Bowls!

Young never got screwed out of anything - He got LUCKy when Montana became injured. Young was the back-up QB for a reason kid.

we lost out on 2 or 3 more super bowls because shanahan went to denver instead of taking over for us. seifert shoulda went fishing after the win.

terrell davis and steve young? maybe 5 in a row.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Bemular, I've tried really hard to ignore you because you're like an incoherent, argumentative psychopath or something, but I'll repeat what I said like 6 months ago. PLEASE stop replying to my posts.

I honestly don't understand why anyone would waste their time replying to yours.