• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Catch II

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes that one year it was good. Young played with a lot of shit the other seasons. That is my point. Just look at the bums he had at RB for several years for example.

Yep. Just think of what Steve could have accomplished with Bill Ring and Lenvil Elliot carrying the ball for him.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Joe's physical deficiencies was a myth. He was a lot more athletic than people gabe him credit for. He turned down a scholarship to play basketball, and he had great, quick feet.

He didn't have the arm of a Marino, but his arm was strong enough to make any throw.

It's not that he wasn't athletic, he was one of the better scrambling QB's of his time. He also wasn't required to throw too many deep balls in the WCO.

So by design, he had mostly 3 and 5 step drops, which are usually 10-20 yard passes.

The measurable "deficiencies" knock against him are things usually used during evaluations at the combine. Size, arm strength etc etc

No one could touch his decision making and demeanor under pressure.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Just think of what Steve could have accomplished with Bill Ring and Lenvil Elliot carrying the ball for him.

Steve didn't have Walsh. I don't mean to bang the same drum over and over but the Walsh/Joe combo was the best ever.

To be fair, when the niners bought the best team money could buy in 94, Steve Young went from very good to other worldly.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Steve didn't have Walsh. I don't mean to bang the same drum over and over but the Walsh/Joe combo was the best ever.

To be fair, when the niners bought the best team money could buy in 94, Steve Young went from very good to other worldly.

True, but ironically, it was on the defensive side of the ball that the niners missed Walsh the most - specifically in drafting. Holmgren and Shanahan, IMO, were capable stand-ins for Walsh when it came to play calling.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but ironically, it was on the defensive side of the ball that the niners missed Walsh the most - specifically in drafting. Holmgren and Shanahan, IMO, were capable stand-ins for Walsh when it came to play calling.

good point, just look at that 1986 draft

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ring and Elliot weren't even close to the lead backs for the '81 Super Bowl. They were 6th and 7th on the team in carries. Then in '82 the only time Ring was more a part of the game plan he was second in carries and they went 3 and 6. Nice try though stretch.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ppl keep talking about a fumble, but i just don't see it...

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ring and Elliot weren't even close to the lead backs for the '81 Super Bowl. They were 6th and 7th on the team in carries. Then in '82 the only time Ring was more a part of the game plan he was second in carries and they went 3 and 6. Nice try though stretch.

Lenvil Elliot only played four games - yet he was starter when it counted down the stretch. You undermine your own point by undermining Montana's most effective runners in 1981.

You might want to check out the running game of the 1990 team too. Pretty dismal. Sorry, but the facts just don't support your point. Joe had running teams of varying effectiveness behind him, as did Steve. Yet, Joe won superbowls with them.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes that one year it was good. Young played with a lot of shit the other seasons. That is my point. Just look at the bums he had at RB for several years for example.

I disagree. The rBs Montana played with were much worse. Walt Easly, Earl Cooper, Bill Ring, Lenville Elliot

KingFlea

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Montana>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Steve Young. End of story.

And this coming from a guy who grew up seeing more of Young than Montana. Montana got it done in the big games. Young did not. The Catch II eh...anyone remember the dismal performance Young had the next week vs. Atlanta?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lenvil Elliot only played four games - yet he was starter when it counted down the stretch. You undermine your own point by undermining Montana's most effective runners in 1981.

You might want to check out the running game of the 1990 team too. Pretty dismal. Sorry, but the facts just don't support your point. Joe had running teams of varying effectiveness behind him, as did Steve. Yet, Joe won superbowls with them.

Elliott had 7 total carries in '81. He didn't even play in the Super Bowl. It would be nice if you actually knew what you were talking about and if you could understand my point. Montana had a much better coach and supporting cast for a larger stretch of his career. And that is the facts.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. The rBs Montana played with were much worse. Walt Easly, Earl Cooper, Bill Ring, Lenville Elliot

AHAHAHAHA! Why are people mentiong Ring and Elliot like that is who Montana had in the backfield for his entire career. They were role players for parts of two seasons. Jesus Christ.

Roger Craig and Tyler spanned 8 seasons for Montana.

Young got 3 seasons of Watters. 2 seasons of Hearst with the second season ending in the playoffs thanks to Hearst's ankle injury. We would have one a Super Bowl that season.

There is the facts.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Elliott had 7 total carries in '81. He didn't even play in the Super Bowl. It would be nice if you actually knew what you were talking about and if you could understand my point. Montana had a much better coach and supporting cast for a larger stretch of his career. And that is the facts.

You stated:

That is my point. Just look at the bums he had at RB for several years for example.

I think we've proved that Joe won superbowls with bums at RB. Not sure why it's so hard for you to admit this and back away from this error. I don't think there is any question of who the better QB was. Do you dispute the rankings of the NFL Network (i.e. Joe #4 Steve #81)? Not close.

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
AHAHAHAHA! Why are people mentiong Ring and Elliot like that is who Montana had in the backfield for his entire career. They were role players for parts of two seasons. Jesus Christ.

Young got 3 seasons of Watters. 2 seasons of Hearst with the second season ending in the playoffs thanks to Hearst's ankle injury. We would have one a Super Bowl that season.

There is the facts.

Yet Steve played his entire niner career with the greatest football player ever as his wideout. Joe had Dwight Clark as his #1 for a good portion of his career. These are facts!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Montana>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Steve Young. End of story.

And this coming from a guy who grew up seeing more of Young than Montana. Montana got it done in the big games. Young did not. The Catch II eh...anyone remember the dismal performance Young had the next week vs. Atlanta?

It's a pattern that broke from the first Catch. The Catch produced a win and then a Superbowl. The Catch II produced a win, followed by "the dismal performance Young had the next week vs. Atlanta." The Catch III produced a win, but we followed that up with a loss, and Smith should have played better in the 2ns, 3rd, 4th, and OT. These Catches lately haven't produced Montana's result. :( Maybe I don't want the Catch IV - just a blowout victory.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is the facts.

Young always seemed to find a way in big games to do just enough to get the team beat. Them's the facts.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You stated:

I think we've proved that Joe won superbowls with bums at RB. Not sure why it's so hard for you to admit this and back away from this error. I don't think there is any question of who the better QB was. Do you dispute the rankings of the NFL Network (i.e. Joe #4 Steve #81)? Not close.

I disute the #4 ranking for Montana. he was the most effective QB in the history of the game in my extremely biased opinion.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You stated:

One Super Bowl with RBs you don't even know. Why do you continue to ignore Walsh and the rest of the team in comparison to what Young had? You keep incorrectly harping on RBs when you don't even know the backfields.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet Steve played his entire niner career with the greatest football player ever as his wideout. Joe had Dwight Clark as his #1 for a good portion of his career. These are facts!

So now you want to move on from RBs and mention Jerry Rice. Again, Walsh and the rest of team. Rice doesn't make up for Derek Lovilles and Terry Kirbys, no Walsh, etc. Continue to ignore that. :burt:
And you look like an idiot for discounting the player Dwight Clark was.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now you want to move on from RBs and mention Jerry Rice. Again, Walsh and the rest of team. Rice doesn't make up for Derek Lovilles and Terry Kirbys. Continue to ignore that. :burt:
Stafford is polishing hella Lombardi's because of Megatron. All you need is the WR.

Steve Young didn't play with Ronnie Lott would make more sense.