• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The cancer is in remission

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Florida Marlins optioned Scott Cousins to Triple-A New Orleans yesterday after the villain, scumbag, shit-for-brains (insert your insult here) hit just .147/.237/.206 with 15 strikeouts over 34 at-bats this spring.

I hope he never shows his face in the big leagues again.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As someone who hates the Marlins as a division rival......

....clean play :noidea:

Baseball needs to change the rules to avoid stuff like that. It was not on Cousin's though. He did what he is supposed to do.

Nice screen name. (Seriously. Love Tool.)

The play was not illegal, but it sure as hell was unnecessary. That vile piece of shit launched himself ACROSS the plate and his right shoulder is the one that made initial contact with Buster Posey's right shoulder. Not Cousins' left to Posey's left - right to right. Had Cousins' left shoulder lowered into Posey's left shoulder and the injury occurred, I would say nothing about it. But the guy did everything in his power to level a defenseless player, and that IMO is uncalled for.

Again, I know the play was not illegal, but no one will ever convince me that Cousins needed to make the decisions he did. And don't give me that line of shit that it was an instant reaction and he had no time to think about it. That guy started lowering his shoulder 10-15 feet before he made contact. He KNEW which shoulder he was lowering. If you watch the play, as Cousins takes his last step on the grass before the dirt circle expands around home plate, that is the first sign that he is lowering his shoulder. He could have taken two or three more steps, but instead he launched himself toward Posey - right shoulder first - in an attempt to dislodge the ball. Bush league play.

Scott Cousins could have easily tried to make a hook slide or a head-first slide where his left hand grazed the outside of the plate. Instead, he tried to play hero and ruined Posey's season - and the Giants' season as well.

That guy is a piece of shit and I will not ever change my mind.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the (then) current baseball community, it was a "clean" play. I said it at the time, and I still say it now. (And MAN, the shit I caught on this board for taking that stance)

HOWEVER...

It should not have been clean. Why can a player not bowl over the 2B or SS on a play at 2B? Why does the catcher have a bulls-eye on his chest-protector, but the middle infielders get to wear a red jersey?

I do not understand the double-standard.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a huge hockey fan, I totally understand how shitty the whole situation was and think that they need to do something to alter the rules to make it safer. Catchers are completely defenseless in that type of situation and that needs to change.

My sport (the NHL at least) is going to shit because a bunch of knuckle dragging fans don't want to change any rules to make it somewhat safer for the players, and it annoys the hell out of me. It doesn't matter how much new research comes out on traumatic brain injuries, nobody will step up to the plate on it. As an epidemiologist who has done some work in brain injury research it is even more frustrating.

Just my two cents

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

The play was not illegal, but it sure as hell was unnecessary. That vile piece of shit launched himself ACROSS the plate and his right shoulder is the one that made initial contact with Buster Posey's right shoulder. Not Cousins' left to Posey's left - right to right. Had Cousins' left shoulder lowered into Posey's left shoulder and the injury occurred, I would say nothing about it. But the guy did everything in his power to level a defenseless player, and that IMO is uncalled for.

Again, I know the play was not illegal, but no one will ever convince me that Cousins needed to make the decisions he did. And don't give me that line of shit that it was an instant reaction and he had no time to think about it. That guy started lowering his shoulder 10-15 feet before he made contact. He KNEW which shoulder he was lowering. If you watch the play, as Cousins takes his last step on the grass before the dirt circle expands around home plate, that is the first sign that he is lowering his shoulder. He could have taken two or three more steps, but instead he launched himself toward Posey - right shoulder first - in an attempt to dislodge the ball. Bush league play.

Scott Cousins could have easily tried to make a hook slide or a head-first slide where his left hand grazed the outside of the plate. Instead, he tried to play hero and ruined Posey's season - and the Giants' season as well.

Well said. I'd also add that in Cousins' post-game interview he said his plan, while the ball was in the air, was to blow-up Posey. And, of course, you can see in the replay that he ignored the open plate and instead launched himself at Posey. The record of that interview, btw, was removed from web access the next morning. I owe you a rep.

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Does this mean RoRo has made the team?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
In the (then) current baseball community, it was a "clean" play. I said it at the time, and I still say it now. (And MAN, the shit I caught on this board for taking that stance)

HOWEVER...

It should not have been clean. Why can a player not bowl over the 2B or SS on a play at 2B? Why does the catcher have a bulls-eye on his chest-protector, but the middle infielders get to wear a red jersey?

Actual footage of Cal on that night:

the_broom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

This...absolutely...repped...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actual footage of Cal on that night:

I am still not 100% from the beating I took that night. I may be out longer than Posey for that one...

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This^ +1. Couldn't (and haven't, lol) have said it any better.

Legal baseball play, but bush league.....a fucking prick for how he went about it. Coming back inside the line by about 3 feet even though there was a clear path to the plate, going right shoulder to right shoulder, and having his mind made up so early and then saying he was going to "blow him up". He reacted like a Deer Hunter holding up a prized buck head after the kill.

Screw Cousins, nothing he can say now except "I'm an idiot for what I did and how I reacted afterwards.....I'm truly sorry and I am a terrible baseball player" will make me ok with it (although I'm sure he stays up at night worried about what I think, lol). :heh:

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a huge hockey fan, I totally understand how shitty the whole situation was and think that they need to do something to alter the rules to make it safer. Catchers are completely defenseless in that type of situation and that needs to change.

My sport (the NHL at least) is going to shit because a bunch of knuckle dragging fans don't want to change any rules to make it somewhat safer for the players, and it annoys the hell out of me. It doesn't matter how much new research comes out on traumatic brain injuries, nobody will step up to the plate on it. As an epidemiologist who has done some work in brain injury research it is even more frustrating.

Just my two cents

Injuries are a part of the game, but the game isn't about injuries and the league(s) should do everything they can to protect the players.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HOWEVER...

Ahem...this is the point I made at the time, and it stands now: collisions at the plate are either interference (if the catcher doesn't have the ball) or obstruction (if he does). There is NOTHING in the MLB rulebook that carves out home plate as a special base where these rules are suspended.

Blowing up the catcher makes as much sense, per the rulebook, as blowing up the 1B...it's illegal and should be called that way.

We don't need a "new rule" to enforce this...just call the fucking game the way it is in the rule book and Posey's injury never happens.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were the posters on this board as upset about the take-down that JT Snow did on Pudge in 2003, or when Nate took out the Chinese catcher in the Olympics? Both of those hits were rather violent (even if neither catcher ended up drastically injured).

I hate what happened to Buster, but it was a 100% "legal" move. I would support a change to the rules similar to what is legal in college ball (you aren't allowed to take out fielders at 2B or C). But no matter how much I hate what happened, it was a legal move. It was an extra-innings tied game. That asshole Cousins scored the winning run in the 12th. It wasn't as if this happened in the 3rd inning when one team was up by 10 runs. It sucked. It still sucks. They should change the rules. But it was a valid play (just like JT in the NLDS in 2003).

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were the posters on this board as upset about the take-down that JT Snow did on Pudge in 2003, or when Nate took out the Chinese catcher in the Olympics? Both of those hits were rather violent (even if neither catcher ended up drastically injured).

I hate what happened to Buster, but it was a 100% "legal" move. I would support a change to the rules similar to what is legal in college ball (you aren't allowed to take out fielders at 2B or C). But no matter how much I hate what happened, it was a legal move. It was an extra-innings tied game. That asshole Cousins scored the winning run in the 12th. It wasn't as if this happened in the 3rd inning when one team was up by 10 runs. It sucked. It still sucks. They should change the rules. But it was a valid play (just like JT in the NLDS in 2003).

Most Giants fans don't argue the legality we argue that the hit was unnecessary - which it was - which is why Scott Cousins is a fucking dick.

So yeah what Cameron said.

Edit: In no way do I think what Nate did in the Olympics is comparable to that hit on Posey. I don't remember Snow on Pudge for some reason - anyway I've never seen any hit on a catcher more blatantly unnecessary than that hit was besides maybe Pete Rose in the Allstar game - and even that was a clean hit, much cleaner than that little fuck Cousins hit on Buster.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does this mean RoRo has made the team?

Man the Marlins must be pathetically desperate if Rowand makes the team. He is remarkable but not shockingly hitting worse than Cousins.

4/37 .108 on the bright side for him he's only struck out 8 times - looks like he's making progress since he attempted to hit for us.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man the Marlins must be pathetically desperate if Rowand makes the team. He is remarkable but not shockingly hitting worse than Cousins.

4/37 .108 on the bright side for him he's only struck out 8 times - looks like he's making progress since he attempted to hit for us.

hitler.jpg

"Never mind his ST numbers. I like Rowand.
He has good power and great veteran presence."