• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training Fun: Guess the bench!

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guerrero has looked pretty solid to me, but it's looking like the Dodgers are gonna send him to AAA to start the season, which leaves Gordon to start at 2B, which also could leave a door open fro Figgins to make the squad, which sucks ass. We also could have 40 man roster issues if so.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guerrero has looked pretty solid to me, but it's looking like the Dodgers are gonna send him to AAA to start the season, which leaves Gordon to start at 2B, which also could leave a door open fro Figgins to make the squad, which sucks ass. We also could have 40 man roster issues if so.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see Javy Guerra get traded or waived.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see Javy Guerra get traded or waived.

Dodgers waive Javy Guerra as they name 30-man roster for Sydney - latimes.com

tumblr_m7r27zLi7J1qcfokeo1_r1_250.gif

So, as unpredictable as things tend to be, a wrench has been thrown into the fix for game 1 in Australia. The Dodgers get to leave 2 starting pitchers off of roster giving them the ability to carry as many as two extra bench players.

Here is the full list of players on the plane:

Pitchers (14): Clayton Kershaw, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Paul Maholm, Kenley Jansen, Brian Wilson, Chris Perez, J.P. Howell, Paco Rodriguez, Jamey Wright, Seth Rosin, Withrow, Jose Dominguez, Zach Lee, Red Patterson

Catchers (3): A.J. Ellis, Tim Federowicz, Drew Butera

Infielders (8): Adrian Gonzalez, Dee Gordon, Juan Uribe, Hanley Ramirez, Justin Turner, Figgins, Alex Guerrero, Miguel Rojas

Outfielders (5): Yasiel Puig, Andre Ethier, Scott Van Slyke, Mike Baxter, Joc Pederson

So that's 30 players (5 extras for injury and exhibition depth). Joc Pederson, Zach Lee, Jose Dominguez, and Red Patterson are easy to spot as guys who won't make the active 25-man for the two games that count. The fun part is wondering who is the last one. It comes down to Drew Butera, Miguel Rojas, and Alex Guerrero.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Van Slyke
Figgins
Turner
Fed-x
Olivo

My guess for starting 2B on day 1 is Guerrero.

Bench:
Van Slyke
Fed-ex
Gordon
Rojas
Turner

Startng 2B:
Figgins

Bench:
Gordon, 2B/SS
Van Slyke, 1B/OF
Turner, 2B/SS/3B
Baxter, OF
Federowicz, C

Starting 2B: Alex Guerrero.

Bench:
Baxter OF (Becomes Ethier by time we return to US and Kemp is ready)
Van Slyke 1B/OF
Federowicz C
Turner INF
Gordon INF/OF

2B: Guerrero

We all lose. The 25-man roster doesn't need to be announced until tonight at 7PST, but it looks like it's going to be a 6 man bench for this series. So that right there already throws a wrench into things. The other wrench is that we all whiffed on 2B, with Justin Turner getting the Opening Day nod. Also, with Crawford on paternity leave, Scott Van Slyke will start in LF rather than the bench.

Last minute prediction on the 6 bench spots (basically a stab in the dark): Federowicz C, Butera C, Figgins INF/OF, Gordon INF/OF, Baxter OF, and hopefully Guerrero SS/2B.

I'd way rather see Guerrero allowed to suit up with the big boys for these first two games than sit on the bench watching from afar. He can still be optioned to the minors once the team gets back and something needs to be done with regards to Crawford, Grienke, Haren, League, Beckett, and Kemp.

I mean, who do you want coming in as a pinch hitter, Miguel Rojas or Alex Guerrero?

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd much rather go with Guerrero, also. I think this young fella is going to be a solid player for Los Angeles.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was correct on guessing that Guerrero would make the Australia 25-man, but of course, surprises be lurking. Federowicz missed the cut and will be optioned to the minors (likely a temporary move).

The official active roster for Australia:

Pitchers
Jose Dominguez
J.P. Howell
Kenley Jansen
Clayton Kershaw
Paul Maholm
Chris Perez
Seth Rosin
Paco Rodriguez
Hyun-Jin Ryu
Brian Wilson
Chris Withrow
Jamey Wright

Catchers
Drew Butera
A.J. Ellis

Infielders
Chone Figgins
Dee Gordon
Alex Guerrero
Adrian Gonzalez
Hanley Ramirez
Justin Turner
Juan Uribe

Outfielders
Mike Baxter
Andre Ethier
Yasiel Puig
Scott Van Slyke

----

For those keeping score, the Dodgers' bench is: Guerrero, Figgins, Butera, Baxter, and Gordon.

So, wouldn't ya know it? 5 guys on the bench and an absolutely massive bullpen.