• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Burrow Extension

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here we go.... Murray's new deal has 160 million guaranteed. About 48 million per year. I could see the Bengals offering more per year (say 55-58 million) to try to lower the guarantee number. But I don't think they'll be able to offer less than 125 million guaranteed. We'll see!

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here we go.... Murray's new deal has 160 million guaranteed. About 48 million per year. I could see the Bengals offering more per year (say 55-58 million) to try to lower the guarantee number. But I don't think they'll be able to offer less than 125 million guaranteed. We'll see!
Oh, no way. Burrow is getting $145 minimum....

He still strikes me as a guy that is willing to work towards a middle-ground, though (a la Brady) - he seems to know that he needs people around him, and to do that, they also have to get some $$$ - Going to be really interesting.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, no way. Burrow is getting $145 minimum....

He still strikes me as a guy that is willing to work towards a middle-ground, though (a la Brady) - he seems to know that he needs people around him, and to do that, they also have to get some $$$ - Going to be really interesting.
They'll likely have 40-50 million in cap space next offseason. They can likely give Burrow a ridiculous signing bonus combined with a high first year salary to guarantee a lot of the money. That could keep less money in escrow for future years.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd still like to see a team try to tie salary to percentage of the cap. It's a small gamble for the player if the cap goes down, but even in an era where there was a global pandemic, the cap only went down one year and then shot right back up. The cap is basically like the stock market - It's too big to be down for long. For the player, they don't have to worry about their contract being outdated after 2 seasons. For the team, you could maximize how you budget key positions based on percentages paid to those groups and also how you utilize players on their first contract. I also think you could get by some of the guarantee language..... You could guarantee that the player would make X percentage of the cap which is directly tied to money that isn't on hand for a team but rather comes from the yearly TV deal and other shared revenue sources.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd still like to see a team try to tie salary to percentage of the cap. It's a small gamble for the player if the cap goes down, but even in an era where there was a global pandemic, the cap only went down one year and then shot right back up. The cap is basically like the stock market - It's too big to be down for long. For the player, they don't have to worry about their contract being outdated after 2 seasons. For the team, you could maximize how you budget key positions based on percentages paid to those groups and also how you utilize players on their first contract. I also think you could get by some of the guarantee language..... You could guarantee that the player would make X percentage of the cap which is directly tied to money that isn't on hand for a team but rather comes from the yearly TV deal and other shared revenue sources.
I think this makes some sense, but I'm not really sure how it would work in practice for a few reasons.

The cap goes up -you lose the ability to use that space to re-sign other guys.

Other top tier players are likely, then, wanting to have this knowing that each year the cap goes up, they get a raise no matter what. How much of the cap can you appropriate to those players? Burrow takes up, what 20%? 25? On the current 200M (I know, 208M but rounding for ease)...if he's expected to get 50M a year, that's 25% of the cap. Then Chase - he's going to get, what 35M a year? More? So, another 18% of the cap, maybe? Right there 43% of your cap is now gone. Still haven't retained anyone of note on defense, or Higgins...or a TE, etc...

I like the outside the box thinking, but I'm not sure on the practicality of it....thoughts?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this makes some sense, but I'm not really sure how it would work in practice for a few reasons.

The cap goes up -you lose the ability to use that space to re-sign other guys.

Other top tier players are likely, then, wanting to have this knowing that each year the cap goes up, they get a raise no matter what. How much of the cap can you appropriate to those players? Burrow takes up, what 20%? 25? On the current 200M (I know, 208M but rounding for ease)...if he's expected to get 50M a year, that's 25% of the cap. Then Chase - he's going to get, what 35M a year? More? So, another 18% of the cap, maybe? Right there 43% of your cap is now gone. Still haven't retained anyone of note on defense, or Higgins...or a TE, etc...

I like the outside the box thinking, but I'm not sure on the practicality of it....thoughts?
I think there would be issues like you mention, but presumably I think you would be locked in to doing this with only a few key, franchise players. In the Bengals case, I would say you would have contracts like this for Burrow and then probably Chase. I think most of the other high-priced talent would remain on 4 year type deals - The DJ Reader, Trey Hendrickson type deals that rotate through your system for four years and then likely move on. And then you need to draft well. But I get what you are saying about the flexibility - Its a slippery slope and you could end up eating all of your cap on a couple of guys that better be worth it.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there would be issues like you mention, but presumably I think you would be locked in to doing this with only a few key, franchise players. In the Bengals case, I would say you would have contracts like this for Burrow and then probably Chase. I think most of the other high-priced talent would remain on 4 year type deals - The DJ Reader, Trey Hendrickson type deals that rotate through your system for four years and then likely move on. And then you need to draft well. But I get what you are saying about the flexibility - Its a slippery slope and you could end up eating all of your cap on a couple of guys that better be worth it.
Yeah, The two issues I see are: How much cap, and then how long before more players want a similar deal...

I would say - it might be more feasible if you can get guys like Burrow to agree to a lesser annual payout. So, if you are going to give him 25% of an annual cap - maybe as the cap increases, so does his pay, but the actual % decreases. So, they still get a raise overall because the cap goes up, but the impact on the cap goes down?

Burrow - 25% of 208, but for every 15M it goes up, his % goes down 1%? So, if in 2023 the cap goes up 5M to 223M from 208, his % drops to 24%, but his salary actually goes up to from 52M to 53.52...maybe have some trigger in there that lowers the % at a certain increase of the cap, but still allows for him to get a raise.

No clue - I like the approach - I just worry about the can of worms it would open...also, how would bonus effect that...usually bonus is spread, so you'd have to figure out how it would work to get him X amount up front, and still account for that within the %.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burrow will get 50 million a year

250 million total.

If not here, then somewhere else.

Rodgers makes 50.3 million, that bum in cleveland makes 46 million

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pay him first. he may be a goat in waiting.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burrow will get 50 million a year

250 million total.

If not here, then somewhere else.

Rodgers makes 50.3 million, that bum in cleveland makes 46 million
Yeah, but Cleveland had to overpay - he had already turned them down flat. It wasn't until they offered what they did, and then 100% guaranteed the contract that he accepted. And, can you blame him? I don't (at least for accepting the contract - plenty of other issues to blame him for, though - LOL)

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the NFL is horrible at evaluating talent right now and assigning a correct value. I suspect that he may have lost a step or two and could be a non factor this year. It will take him a while to mature as a human being and put all this legal and immoral stuff behind him. But, on his upside, he is worth a lot of money, if he wasn't such a problem child right now. If a major QB prospect were to renegotiate their contract, it may even beat Rodgers numbers.